Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Braces.

I was always one of those kids growing up being deathly scared of getting braces. I'm now turning 24 this year, and also going into my second year of having braces. I wanted to improve my confidence kind of like what some of us do with makeup. The braces really have improved my teeth, smile, and confidence over the past year which I'm very thankful for. They are also barely noticeable (clear ceramic) which is great for my profession right now, and wearing red lipstick Smiley Wink So long story short, I went to get them tightened yesterday and to no surprise I'm told they will be adding something onto my teeth...a "tongue crib". Without giving me anytime to ask questions or think about this option, they placed the anchors into my back molars to get ready for the device next visit in June. Now, you guys maybe wondering what this tongue crib appliance is...It is basically an orthodontic appliance to resist the tongue from thrusting against one's teeth which causes an overbite and protruding front teeth overtime. After doing some pretty extensive research, I've found it to be a very impractical option for me. I don't have an overbite for one and my front teeth are not protruding forward. I work in a corporate environment and have to socialize with people often, which the crib actually gives you a horrible lisp (which I already have a slight lisp as is). They said I would have to wear it for 1-2 years. I'm just so frustrated right now and don't really know what to do. I already feel like a 12 yr old in a suit with braces on, but adding a tongue crib that has metal spikes in my mouth will make me now talk like a 12 yr old. Ugh! Does anybody have any advice or has experienced orthodontic appliances as an adult?

I took a pic of the crib at my orthodontist yesterday. It looks like something out of a horror movie! 

Re: Braces.

You're 18 or older right?  You can refuse it!  Honestly, I've spent half of my life in various forms of orthodontia, if you deem it to not be a procedure you want, you can refuse it.  

And truth be told, it looks more painful than expanders, I'm wondering where the battery goes that makes a tesla coil out of those protrusions O.o 

AHAHAHA! You made my morning with your knowledge of tesla! 

I leaning more of a refusal, and will think about it today. Just wanted to see if other people have stepped in my shoes before I make a decision. 

Oh my gosh... I'm so sorry they're trying to do this to you.

I had braces before highschool, my sister had braces in highschool (underbite), my boyfriend had braces too. I have never heard of a tongue crib...

I had braces to correct an overbite where my teeth were pushed forward by sucking my thumb as a child. Obviously, no one knew about tongue cribs when I was in grade 7. My tongue still rests on the back of my teeth/top of my mouth, and my bite and teeth are still fine. 

Have they installed the tongue crib yet? If they haven't, I would call the orthodontist and say you don't want it installed. You're a paying customer (or your insurance is). You can tell them you don't want it, and you should. I have a permanent metal retainer glued to the back of my front row of top and bottom teeth and my teeth have never budged an inch. Double check if they're going to do that, green light it, and red light the tongue crib. 

A permanent retainer? Wow. Props to you!

Yeah, through my research the "tongue crib" seems to be a fairly new appliance on the market and very few adults have gotten them from what I can tell. I feel like I'm being set up as a guinea pig in research of some sort with the adult mouth oppose to the children's growing mouth structure. They haven't put the device in yet, just the coil springs to make room on my back molars along with the anchors. I think I'm definitely going to reject this thing though!

Ouch I had something like this and instead of attaching to the back, it was held on by two caps that went over my teeth. I had two silver front teeth for awhile.

I have invisaline right now and its a pain! People sometimes stare at my teeth and I have to explain what it is. I think that taking care of your teeth is very important since its a major part of your face!

I think that it will all be worth it in the end, just hang in thereSmiley Happy

<3 Melissa

I love my permanent retainers...Actually I hate them, but I'm tired of feeling stuff in my mouth, and it certainly beats a clear retainer by miles >.<

I have a bar of some sort on the back of my front bottom teeth and it's been there since I got my braces off in high school (15 years ago).  I wish I had one on the back of my top front teeth because those went crooked within a few years of getting my braces off.  I'm thinking about getting braces again. 

I wouldn't let them put a contraption like that in my mouth either.  Especially if it doesn't serve a purpose for you.  I think many orthos and dentists do things simply for more money.  My son needs braces and they wanted to pull some baby teeth and put in spacers because the grown-up teeth "might come in crooked".  Um... he's getting braces because his other teeth are already crooked.  You can wait until they fall out on their own thankyouverymuch.

Glad you stood up and said something! I think it's crazy when kids around the age of 5 get braces...I mean your face structure is still growing and by the time they're in their teens they will need some more tweaking or braces AGAIN! 

Braces are making a comeback girly! So dont feel too, too bad Smiley Happy

At my last dentist appt I was told I should get braces because my wisdom teeth are finally popping in at freaking 30 --- so imagine that 30 with braces.... Im sorry about the lisp thing I worry about that too, but remember that in the end your teeth will look awesome Smiley Happy

61 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • IMG_1818.JPG
  • crib.jpg
  • crib retainer.jpg
  • image.jpg