Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Bite Beauty gaffe

Hasn't anyone noticed that Bite Beauty has named one of their Lush Fruit Lip Gloss's "Strangefruit"?  Isn't anyone else disturbed by this?

Strange Fruit, since no one seems to know, is the title of a famous jazz song sung by Billie Holliday (among many others).  The song is about the lynching of black men in the Jim Crow South, with their bodies being the 'strange fruit' that Southern trees bear.

Now I don't know anything about this company, maybe they are not American owned or based, so they don't realize the connotations.  I've told this to several people my own age(late 30's) and older and they were all appalled.  To date I have not seen any sign on Sephora (reviews, product Q&A, or here in BT) that anyone notices or cares. 

And that is even more disturbing than the name itself.

Re: Bite Beauty gaffe

Please post this to some African American social media channels too. I think the more the word gets out, the swifter an action will be made! 

a breath of fresh air, someone finally went and got into the solution by actually writing the company responsible, who can do something about it. I think this will be much more productive than bickering about it on a makeup forum. Just my two cents. Great letter mrsbaine hope they do something about this. 

Er, I think quite a few people spoke directly to Bite.  I know I did.

awesome! I really hope they do something about it!! Smiley Happy

I'll let you guys know if I get something. I got the public affairs info today too, so if I don't hear from there, I'll take it there. 

Oh, mrsbaine, I think you are wonderful.  That was perfect! Thank you!

I wasn't aware of the reference but cosmetic companies are pushing the envelope too much with regards to some product names.  There are young girls who are interested in cosmetics and the names can be inappropriate. With the amount of money invested in marketing, there's no excuse for companies not to be aware of what a simple google search comes up with.

I'm sure they did not realize that marketing a product called Strangefruit in the US would be an issue, however their marketing department should be called to the carpet because it just takes a few keystrokes on Google to see the Billie Holiday song & what it's about. Yes the song was written as a protest of what was happening, mainly in the Southern US states, but that doesn't make it okay to name a lip gloss after it. That period in US history is still a very painful period that continues to show how atrocious people can be to each other. I also don't think you can just dismiss it because it's a Canadian company and they didn't know.  It is their job as a company marketing in to US to be aware of words and phrases that would be inappropriate. 

As for some of the posters comments, word do have meaning and the power to hurt people.  Just look at the campaign to ban the use of the word bossy.  For years little girls and women have been called bossy while their male counterparts are considered leaders. It's not okay to just tell everyone to buck up and get over it.  Ask someone who was alive during segregation and had it effect them or their loved ones, the Japanese Americans rounded up and put into camp during WWII, someone who survived the Holocaust or survived any of the other atrocities done all across the globe if the words or phrases specifically attributed to their ordeal is okay. I know that the individuals that I've known bear deep scars that, most often than not, are opened by the most innocent comments.  

Comparing a lipstick name to what happened during an actual event is apples to oranges. Should we ban all rap music because they often use the N word which is a racial term that was used. That could also bring up bad memories. You can't police terms and what people say. 

I don't buy the they should have googled it either. Their are tons of things that have double meanings in different cultures who the hell stops and thinks about this? Someone with way too much free time trying to connect imaginary dots to give themselves some gold star. 

Don't even get me started on the bossy thing. That was the stupidest thing I've seen in my whole life and I don't care if that offends people. If the worst thing you ever get called is bossy then count your blessings. Anyone who lets being called bossy stop them from achieving never had it in them to begin with. To women who are leaders that only pushes them. The problem with this whole war on words is that you are breeding a generation of beta women. When you are protected all your life from harsh words and criticism then when you enter the real world you won't know how to act. Your whole life will crumble around you and all you'll be left with are your thirty cats and expensive therapy bills. 

People get picked on and often it's a lot worse than just being called bossy. You have two options cry and throw yourself a pity party or fight back. 

Banning bossy is funny because women are being bossy demanding that bossy be banned. All this does is perpetuate the idea that women are weak. It's better for women to say "**bleep** right I'm bossy". This campaign should have been focused on other things like telling women to respect their bodies instead of taking topless photos.  Just like the outrage towards lipstick should be thrown at places where real racism and slavery are still going strong. (last paragraph paraphrased from Greg Gutfeld) 

Thank you, couldn't have said it better

I agree with you about googling it prior... its unreasonable imo to say they should have thought to google it. If you've never heard it before, why would you think to?

because its a company trying to market its product in the best way possible

They made a mistake, as we all do. Hopefully now that they're aware they will pull the gloss. I just don't think it was malicious is all I'm saying.

Companies spend lots of money to create the perfect product name, and to make sure it doesn't mean something negative in a foreign language. You'd think their advertising department would run the names through google first just to be safe.

I have a huge issue with your statement: "People get picked on and often it's a lot worse than just being called bossy. You have two options cry and throw yourself a pity party or fight back."  Getting picked on is bullying. Bullying is a serious and huge problem and making it seem like a trivial issue is both insensitive and disrespectful. I don't know if that's how you meant you comment, but having seen two teenagers who committed suicide because they could not "cry and throw yourself a pity party or fight back", I know that it is not as simple as cry or fight back. It's much more complicated, and it has nothing to do with a pity party.

I honestly think we all need to be more aware of others' feelings, even if that's not how we feel.

Your rant misses the point that recognizing and fighting racism can take MANY forms.  Accepting a racist product name because "it's just a lipstick" is an acceptance of racism.  If you think it's "just" a lipstick, you're accepting that it's ok for some things to be racist.  Sorry, I don't have that viewpoint.  I don't crusade against cosmetic names without doing anything else to try to combat other forms of racism, but I'm not going to shrug and pretend it's harmless.  NO racism is harmless, even if you don't think it's important.  If you think anything racist isn't a big deal, then you should count your blessings.

It's not a big deal. It's not accepting racism it's picking your battles. When something is clearly not racist and all of you get your high and mighty panties in a bunch and start writing letters and pretending to be all offended. Half of you wouldn't even get offended at something that is truly despicable like abortion (your right strange fruit is so much worse than a dead baby) It's so stupid I don't even know how to react. I feel like someone really needs to point out how ridiculous you all are being but I'm obviously wasting my breath. I've held back on saying anything for a long time because my Mother said the majority of you probably have serious underlying issues. Which to me explains why so many of you use this like facebook instead of actual social media sites. I feel like it's a bunch of middle aged women playing high school or something. I know it feels good to feel like your making a difference but you aren't. Grow up. I found out long ago that the majority of you have no common sense about anything but makeup because you waste so much time on it. I really don't care what ya'll say or cry about I'm pretty much done here anyways. If I don't get my account banned I'll delete it soon don't worry. I'm tired of the BS and ya'll kissing each others **bleep** with heart parties and the fifty billion pictures you post of yourselves. 

P.S. Yes I know ya'll will say I'm crazy and think I'm a horrible nasty person. Have fun with that I know how you all need some drama to spice up your boring lives! I hope one day you will all reach adulthood mentally but I don't count on it. Feel free to respond to this but I'm done posting. I'm off to better and less stupid things. 

Maybe it's time to take a step back from this.

#byefelicia

bye felicia.jpg

keep-calm-and-bye-felicia-2-1.pngVicky_vox_bye_felicia.gif

image.jpg

Im done with small minds. 

23 Replies