Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Be an Angel

Hey guys, I wanted to share something thats important to me. JC Penney and the Salvation Army have come together again to help give presents to children and seniors that wont be getting anything unless they get adopted. You adopt online, you pick a child or senior, and you choose the sex, age and location of the person you will be helping out this Christmas. I participated in this last year , and am planning to adopt an angel again this year. I LOVE to physically help people out, throwing money into a basket doesnt make me feel like I did much no matter how much money I gave. Whenever my church asks for food for the homeless, I'm there. Clothes for babies who's teenage mothers live in a womens shelter? So there. Adopt a kid for Christmas? Absolutely. It all goes through the Salvation Army so you know its legit. JC Penney makes it super easy by allowing you to adopt online. I adopted a toddler, a 2 year old girl from a different zipcode than mine. I got everything on the list, it was mostly clothes and one toy that she asked for. You can pick the age, sex, and location of your child or senior and it will pull up at least 5 pages of options for you. Read through the wishlist and pick the one you can afford. You dont have to get everything on the list, especially if they are asking for crazy expensive luxury items. My child asked for clothes and a stuffed animal and I was able to get everything on the list for $50 at Target so everyone can help out, no matter what your budget. I LOVED the items that I got her and hope that she did too. I wish that the program would at least give me the first name of the child that I've adopted but I understand why they dont. It is incredibly rewarding and by doing this, you are helping poor people right in our own country because there are so many of our own children that really need our help.

The Adopt an Angel thing will start again this November and I cant wait to help out someone else!

Re: Be an Angel

Glad to hear your ongoing contributions and efforts Sephoramusthave! 

Although I may not be a part of any big charity projects, I always make a small effort to donate to toys for tots.  I keep a budget and try to get things that I may have liked as a kid. 

I love Toys for Tots! A bunch of stores around me have a giant cardboard box for people that want to drop toys in there for that foundation and its always SO nice to give a toy and to see those boxes completely full right before the holidays! For people that dont have a lot of money, Big Lots has such nice toys for a great price. 

Smiley Very Happy

I think the nearby mall is doing this.  They usually have a tree set up with angel ornaments that you can pick that has the child's info on it.  Am I thinking of the same thing?  That's wonderful that you have a tradition of helping each year.  I think the one the mall does is focused on the local area.  I'll have to look into that. 

What a great idea that is, I'm always happy to see big shops and companies doing SOMETHING for the holidays to help out others. Smiley Happy We usually have a coat drive and canned food drive in our office building which is about 40 floors, so its nice to see the bins all filled when I get to work!  It definitely makes me think how fortunate I am in life that I am able to give back and help others. I hope more people can contribute to all of these charities. Smiley Happy

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

@sephoramusthave- Thanks for telling us about this, I never heard of it before!  Around here the Salvation Army has the people ringing bells outside the Wal-Mart and sometimes there is a person from the animal shelter ringing a bell outside the Dollar Store, but there isn't really any organized Christmas charity locally. 

Gonna check out that website, I always feel like I want to help people in our country, in a land of plenty, it is sad that there are so many who go hungry or disappointed at Christmas.

kimmi---The thing at your mall is the exact same thing as this, they just made it available online so that they could reach a bigger audience. I have this in my mall as well but I never adopt from there because you have to return it by a specific date/time and its kind of embarassing to pick an ornament and then put it back for another one because you cant afford to buy a "bicycle" or "video games". When I adopt online I can pick the wishlist that I can afford, I can help out children outside my area ( but still within our beautiful USA) and I have more time to mail in my package. I think this year it starts beginning of November and the packages should be due mid December.

This also reminds me of a couple more things.

My high school had this "adopt a child program" every year, and what it was was a school bus of poor children were sent to each classroom, and the classroom raised money and bought the kid a bunch of presents. We decorated the room, brought in a tree and everything and played with the child for an entire class period. The classroom got sent a wishlist, and the teacher send off a few students to stores like Target and Walmart ( more bang for buck) to get the items on the wishlist. Every child got at least $200 worth of gifts and it was awesome seeing them open things and physically see who you have helped out. At the end of the class period, all the gifts were put into a giant white plastic bag and sent off with an adult that helped carry it to the school bus. I loved doing this every year. I think it played a big part in why I HAVE to participate in things like adopt an angel and toys for tots every year, as well as what my church does.

My church does something similar every year for Christmas as well. They have a artificial tree up with paper ornaments, and each ornament says either boy or girl on it, with one present on the back. Usually its clothes or shoes and you can always buy more than whats on the ornament. I love doing this every year as well. If I adopted a girl from the Salvation Army, I usually adopt a boy from church to balances things out. And, this isnt holiday related ( well maybe it is..) but every November my church also has a baby shower, and what that is is you pick up a baby bank and fill it with spare change and bring it back after a month along with baby clothes for your "spiritually adopted baby". And the church takes those items to a womens shelter that has mothers with babies who have nothing and nowhere to go. I named my baby Zoey ( greek word for life) and my gifts are due Nov. 6.

I've not seen the tree up at the mall, yet, but it'll probably be up pretty soon.  Stores are already changing over their decor.  It's great that the organization is helping children in the US.  Other countries need help, too, and it's good there are organizations dedicated to that cause, so please don't get me wrong, but there are places in the US that need help as well.  I hope all that came out right.  Sometimes it's hard to phrase stuff online lol.

No I totally understand what you just said and I 100% agree. While other countries need help as well, we often forget about children in our own country that are living below the poverty level. 

Plus I saw on the news a couple of days ago that SOOO much aid went to Africa ( and Egypt and etc..) but it didnt end up where it was supposed to end up. It pretty much got stolen by the government. 

Thats what I mean by "directly" helping out. When you buy food, buy clothes, buy toys its guaranteed that its going to the right place. When you just write a check out and send it to another country more likely than not, it will end up in a rich guys back pocket and not the people that actually need it.

I'm glad to know others know what I mean.  Discussing things like that, whether online or in person, can be touchy topics that lead to debate.  Just wanted to play it safe online lol.  Issues in our country do seem to be swept under the rug at times, and that isn't fair.  Things of this nature not only end up on actually news channels (like local news, CNN, HLN, etc.), but even on the celebrity level: "Such and such celeb donated this amount of money to this country."  Where was their donation to their hometown?   Some things I may never understand.

Some donation type things probably do end up going to the rich.  With the Holidays coming up, various bell ringers will be in front of stores.  The ones around here have been trustworthy like the Salvation Army and Food Bank.  When my parents and I see them outside Walmart or wherever, we'll put a donation in the bucket.  Last year, however, there was one group that I haven't heard of and I didn't recognize their logo.  I didn't want to chance it being a scam or something.  They only had one logo on their sign (whatever it was) and had construction vests on that didn't have a logo or name. 

I get what you are saying. A lot of celebrities donate just to get noticed. I know that little miss Paris Hilton always makes the news whenever she "donates" and it ticks me off so bad because I know its planned. She gave a homeless man 3 bucks once in passing and made it on the E channel or some magazine...and I know that I think in Africa she donated 100 bucks to somebody and immediately bragged about it online. Shameful.

Oh wow, I have never seen scam artists outside any store that wasnt legit but I'm glad that you looked the other way on that one.

Paris Hilton is very shameful.  Her planned acts will catch up to her and karma will come around. 

Another charity type event that goes on during the Fall is that Shriners from the Shriners Children Hospital will sell pumpkins and the procedes will go to help the hospital.  It's kinda like a St. Judes.  My mom usually buys pumpkins from them instead of at the grocery store or some other place.

Oh that is SO nice. I have never bought a real pumpkin let alone carved it...maybe I should start? lol. Is 23 too old to be doing this? I have a plastic pumpkin that you plug in and it lights up though. Smiley Happy

You all have such insightful thoughts! Smiley Happy Really makes you think more about where you buy things, who is funding from them and who is benefiting from them...

@sephoramusthave I'm 28 now and carved my first pumpkin last year when I was 27! haha Smiley Wink

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

@sephoramusthave  You're never too old to crave a pumpkin!  You can get a kit for cheap at Walmart or do it freehand with a sharpie and knives from your kitchen.  Have lots of newspaper around, though.  Lots of it lol.  Some people take carving to a whole other level.  It's more like artwork, and it looks really cool.  Until the pumpkin shrivels up lol.

@prettyinpa  I think a Shriners' Circus is coming to my area next month.  I've seen a few commercial for it on the local news.  I'm pretty sure it's from the Shriners, but not 100% sure.  I'll have to keep an eye out. 

Petsmart Charities should be having another adopt-a-thon around Christmas time.  For each adoption that takes place at the Petsmart (or PetSmart, however it's supposed to be lol), the charity normal will donate $5.  However, during an adopt-a-thon, the donation goes up to $35.  Last Friday when I volunteered, 2 kitties and 2 puppies were adopted, so Petsmart donated $20.  If last Friday was an Adopt-a-Thon, the donation would have been $140.  Huge difference from a shelter's perspective. 

prettyinpa----I havent been to the circus since I was little...I should go again. They come every year and I miss it. I do go to the Rodeo religiously every year at least 10 times lol.

kimmi---I have seen some pretty awesome hand carved pumpkins. And they were done by kids too! I have no skills when it comes to artwork, if I can draw a good happy face thats a good art day for me. Ha! Trust me, you dont want me doing a caricature of anyone. But I can throw some stuff together and call it "abstract". Hehe...that reminds me...has anyone seen the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray's mom made this abstract statue thats the spitting image of a giant um....vajayjay?

@sephoramusthave  Abstract art can be the fun and messy kind of art!  Splatter painting can be a good stress reliever lol.  I've only seen a few episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond.  The show that was always on at my house during that time was Home Improvement lol.

@prettyinpa  The adopt-a-thons are a big event for the shelters that take part in the adoption center.  Sometimes the stores don't really advertise the adopt-a-thons.  They may have only a few signs out for it.  Assuming that all the Petsmarts do this, when a person adopts, they receive a coupon booklet from Purina.  There is even a coupon for a small size of dog or cat food!  That's the favorite coupon out of the bunch lol.

@kimmi- That's so cool that PetSmart donates so much to the shelter during Adopt-a-Thon!  I want to get my next dog from a shelter or rescue, and will definitely check out these Adopt-a-Thons!  I always donate back my obedience deposit to the rescue when I adopt a dog. They usually make you put up a $100 deposit to (theoretically anyways) make the adopter take the dog through obedience class, as if I would take in a dog without going to class!  Can you say chewed up house?! 

@kimmi and sephoramusthave- I totally agree with you about celebrity donations!  Doing good shouldn't be all about publicity and doing good in a cheap way is just cheap!

The Shriners in Harrisburg host a circus, it is really fun, just like an old-fashioned type, not like Cirque du Soleil, which is awesome in itself, but not like I think of a circus with ladies doing acrobatics on horseback and old-time clown acts. I just crack up at clown car antics where a huge number of clown spill out of a tiny car. Sometimes a mini dog comes out too!

I always like to buy baked goods from the ladies who sell dog biscuits for charity. I got my buddy a whole bag of natural biscuits at a bake stand last weekend, but I'm having to dole them out sparingly. He sneakily gained 10 pounds over the past 6 months and since he is so big, it's not really visible but I don't want him getting fat. Big dogs live short enough time that I don't want to miss a minute of him due to dying early of obesity.

Giving back is so important. We get so wrapped up in everyday stuff, that we forget about folks who are really struggling. I like Toys for Tots as well. It doesn't matter which charity you choose. As long as you attempt to help out. This is a great topic.

Smiley Happy Have a good week.

69 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 69 replies
  • 172 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors