Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC's 2022 Holiday Fun and Year End Countdown!!!

This is a thread for us to share the enjoyment of the winter holiday season.  There's magic in the air this time of year, so let's spread it around.  Post as often as you'd like, and feel free to offer your own prompts.

27-Best-Vintage-Christmas-Ornaments-In-The-1950s-And-1960s.jpg

December 1: Hallmark movies (and similar): love 'em or leave 'em?

December 2: Favorite holiday desserts (candy, sweet treats, drinks, etc.)?

December 3: If you won $100 dollars, what beauty item would you run out and gift yourself?

December 4: Best thing about snow?

December 5: What winter drinks do you enjoy?  (Hot chocolate, tea, cocktails...)

December 6: If you could plan an ideal holiday feast, what would be on your menu?

December 7: What movies and TV are on your watch list?  And which ones do you skip?

natale-caminetto-lineavz.jpg

December 8: If Santa were to visit your house, what cookies would you leave out?

December 9: Funniest (or worst) gift you ever got?

December 10: What's your decorating style?

December 11: What songs/artists do you love to listen to?  Which ones make you cringe?

December 12: What kind of cards do you send out?  What kind do you like receiving?

December 13: What winter scents are you loving?  (It could be cologne, candles, food - you name it.)

December 14: Any winter activities that you like, or would like to try someday?

best-christmas-cookies.jpg

December 15: Post a meme.

December 16: What's your gifting style?  AND, what do you like to do for presentation?  (Gift wrap, tags, bags, etc?)

December 17: What blush do you like to use to give you those winter rosy cheeks?

December 18: How do you celebrate the holiday season with friends that have different traditions than you do?

December 19: Create your own prompt.

December 20: What beauty product are you into right now?

December 21: Favorite holiday toy?  (It could be one you received as a child, or one you've given to a child...or, one you will be gifting.)

120914_AH_0630.jpg

December 22: What do you do to put yourself in the holiday spirit?  Or, what inspires you?

December 23: Did the holidays sneak up on you?  

December 24: What are the best kinds of stocking stuffers?

December 25: What's your merriest moment?

December 26: Best part of winter?

December 27: What's your cold weather fashion style?

December 28: How do you like to spend a warm, cozy night at home?

download.jpe

December 29: What BIC threads were you on the most this year?

December 30: Your thoughts on new year's resolutions...

December 31: Favorite type of champagne?  (Flavor, brand, garnish, glass - you name it!)

January 1: What are you looking forward to in the new year?  It could be simple or grand.

EXTRA prompts: I'll post these as they come to me...

-What traditions of yester-year do you feel have disappeared?  (It could be anything from a decorating style to something your family used to do, to something you've only read about in books.)

-What holiday creatures and critters do you just adore?  (Elves, reindeer, Mrs. Claus?)

-Do you have a story about a last minute gift?

-Do you have any holiday collections?  (Snowmen, angels, particular ornaments?)

-When do you "know" it's the holidays?

Re: BIC's 2022 Holiday Fun and Year End Countdown!!!

That's a great idea @CorgiMommy - to find something you love to do in the wintertime. 💖

December 7: What movies and TV are on your watch list?  And which ones do you skip? It's a wonderful life, Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas story, Home alone are on the watch list.

We skip the cheesy cartoon ones like frosty the snowman, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, only because they are so old the kids don't like them 

December 8: If Santa were to visit your house, what cookies would you leave out?

Gingerbread or frosted sugar cookies 

December 9: Funniest (or worst) gift you ever got? A shower head, ohhh how romantic 🤣

December 10: What's your decorating style? Last minute 🤦 there's no style to it when you have kids that touch everything

December 11: What songs/artists do you love to listen to? Which ones make you cringe? I love Christmas music, I only cringe when it's played for the whole month of December,, maybe wait until two weeks before Christmas

December 12: What kind of cards do you send out? What kind do you like receiving?

I like to send out cards with cute bright Christmas/winter pictures. Love you receive any cards ❤️

December 13: What winter scents are you loving? (It could be cologne, candles, food - you name it.) Love the scents of apples and pumpkin and coffee and chocolate, rich sweet scents

December 14: Any winter activities that you like, or would like to try someday? 

Love the tradition of going to the Nutcracker ballet 🩰

@lmaster my family used to go the Nutcracker every year, I miss that tradition! It’s been seven years since we last went. It is so cool to see the different interpretations 💖

8C412E89-D95C-42DF-A1E8-5F776F0E047B.gif

@eshoe i know!! It's amazing 

I love Christmas movies, but not into the hallmark stuff. Give me the Grinch or Elf!

I love mint, so this time of year is perfect to get my fill of candycanes and peppermint bark. i love egg nog but couldnt stomach it as an adult, but have discovered a delicious (and spot on rendition) in almond milk form, so i can enjoy it again! around Christmas we also make a traditional southern italian dessert called strouffoli. it's basically a tower of deep fried dough balls covered in honey and some sprinkles. very sticky but sooooo good

December 3: If you won $100 dollars, what beauty item would you run out and gift yourself? 

because it's a win (which in my mind is free money), i'd probably pick up something fun that i couldnt justify picking up right now, like the Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette. it don't really have a lot of "neutral" palettes, so i always think about picking this up, but i love colours too so i can never make a real decision!

seeing all the dogs with snow beards! 

December 5: What winter drinks do you enjoy?  (Hot chocolate, tea, cocktails...)

big hot chocolate fan! but if we're getting festive, i do love mulled wine this time of year

December 6: If you could plan an ideal holiday feast, what would be on your menu?

for one reason or another, seafood paella has ended up on our christmas eve menu for 10+ years, so i'd have to include that! i'd like to incorporate traditional dishes from other cultures as well. i recently watched a series of tiktoks where someone was trying traditional holiday foods from every country around the world, and there were so many amazing dishes. 

December 7: What movies and TV are on your watch list?  And which ones do you skip?

I watch the Grinch (live action) and Elf every year. my fiance is a big simpsons fan, so we tend to watch a bunch of the christmas episodes as well. his tradition is to watch national lampoon's christmas vacation, so we cant go a year without watching that at least once. i've seen a lot of horror chistmas movies streaming lately? hard pass for me. i dont even like them during halloween!

we make a traditional shortbread which are a crowd pleaser, and several types of biscotti. orange cranberry and white chocolate is a personal favourite of mine, but the gingerbread ones are a pretty close second. 

not the worst necessarily, but one year a former partner took me to the mall to pick my gift. while i was happy to have the exact thing i wanted, it didn't feel like it was really in the holiday spirit because there was no thought or intention behind the picking of the gift. i have a lot of fun picking out thoughtful gifts for people. so it felt a bit like a cop-out. the fun for me is seeing the thought process behind the picking of the gift, versus the material gift itself

Vintage and traditional. i like to incorporate my own extra sparkly style into it, but there are trees, stars, tinsel, glitter, pinecones and ribbons everywhere!

December 11: What songs/artists do you love to listen to?  Which ones make you cringe?

for someone who loves christmas, i surprisingly dont like the music. i blame my many years of retail where i had to listen to it for 8 weeks on end. however, there is no chance ill skip mariah carey's all i want for christmas is you. 10/10 classic and i somehow can never get tired of that one

December 12: What kind of cards do you send out?  What kind do you like receiving?

i love to send cards by mail. it seems less people are inclined to do so, but it's always so nice to get mail that isnt a bill! i love receiving people's holiday cards with their kids and dogs! family shots are the best, and it's nice to have a fridge full of friends and family cards on it!

December 13: What winter scents are you loving?  (It could be cologne, candles, food - you name it.)

im a gourmand girl all year round, but something about the winter makes me bring out warmer and spicier scents. i know i've mentioned it in the BIC a million times, but KILIAN Paris Angels Share Eau De Parfum , Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' By the Fireplace , Maison Margiela REPLICA' Jazz Club Eau de Toilette , and Atelier Cologne's Vanilla Incensee are so cozy in the winter. for home scents and candles, i tend to lean more into crisp pine and red fruits. i love when the house smells like baked goods, but there is something so nice about tree scents (especially because we don't have a real tree - it keeps the illusion alive!)

@cianni I am going to look up strouffoli, it sounds like something my family would love 💗 

The Natasha Denona Retro Glam Eyeshadow Palette is so universal, I don’t think you would regret it. 

I have just discovered KILIAN Paris Angels Share Eau De Parfum and wow does it remind me of Viktor & Rolf’s Dancing Roses. What a lovely scent and something to sink into right now

@eshoe let me know how it goes if you try it!! a little messy with the frying part, but all holiday baking is messy in some way or another (or am i the only one who ends up with flour, powdered sugar and sprinkles literally everywhere?), so it's definitely worth it!

I have yet to do ANY holiday baking this year, @cianni, but we’ll see! I will let you know if I do, I don’t mind messes ☺️

Peppermint, pine, and myrrh for home scents.  

6BAC2E63-65E5-470E-8E28-44703EDA9091.jpeg

For personal scents, I love smoky and dark scents, like Commodity Velvet. Classic scents seem more comfortable in the winter, like they are wrapping me up in a fragrant coat. 

@eshoe Oooh, I love diffusing myrrh and resiny essential oils this time of year! I know exactly what you mean about feeling wrapped up in a fragrance 🙂

@pocketvenusmy biggest challenge is finding the right blend. Less is more, but somehow that seems to take years to learn. Curious what other resin-y scent you refer to. Some, like frankincense, remind me of turpentine, close-up. I am not sure I could recognize frankincense diluted in a fragrance, though.

@eshoe Yes, frankincense definitely, and others like benzoin or peru balsam! Sometimes essential oils can smell different depending on where they're from so I'd try more than one source if possible. I hear you about blends. I know I should write down formulas but I usually forget!

Leave

Gingerbread cookies. French tourtieres. Queen Elizabeth cake. 

Restock Kyoto by Comme des Garcons or buy a lot of samples

The light

Hot chocolate, golden lattes, ice wine.

I'm not sure but local and seasonal ingredients wherever possible. There once was a restaurant in Toronto that served mussels smoked in pine needles that was excellent. Dishes like that.

Petit Maman, Drive My Car, Vortex. I'm very behind ha ha. I tend to avoid action films. I find them really stressful. Though strangely enough, I like horror and don't find those stressful at all. EDIT: Oh, we were talking Christmas movies ha ha duh. In this case, I recommend Tangerine, Tokyo Godfathers, Carol ❤️

Something laced with stimulants because he needs to be sleighing all night.

Jewelry I find aesthetically displeasing. I'm so picky, and jewelry is so personal. I feel badly someone's earnings have been wasted.

Modern, chic.

I don't mind Christmas music. I like jazz Christmas songs. A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio is a classic.

I still send physical holiday cards by post. I like cards with letters inside.

I like the scent of wood burning outside in the cold, still air. Smoky leathers. Anything coniferous. Citrus tends to be associated with summer but it's also great this time of year. It's very enlivening and feels seasonal when it's spicy.

The mint of Cire Trudon's Abd El Kader is great this time of year. The spices of LOHN's Illa are lovely and warming.

My current perfumes

• Papillon Bengal Rouge, like a contented, purring cat at your feet
  • Slumberhouse Norne, like a dark coniferous forest
  • Mona di Oria Oudh Osmanthus, like a cashmere shawl
  • Hiram Green Hyde, like a smoky cabin

What a decadent read, @pocketvenus. The mussels smoked in pine needles - what a beautiful visual! 

Slumberhouse Norne and Hiram Green Hyde both sounds exquisite

@eshoe Both beautiful and delicious! ❤️

20150507_N_Boralia_0101-980x618

This evokes the scent I had conjured up in my mind, @pocketvenus, although I had it pictured somewhat differently. Doesn’t matter, though. I can sense it through the photo 💛💛💛

We have an artificial Christmas tree, and I miss the scent of real trees.  I'm allergic to pine trees, but I bought some of Mrs. Meyers pine-scented cleaner, so we'll see how that goes.

Peppermint is another favorite scent, along with anise from baking cookies.

Gingerbread men (and women and trees and stockings and snowflakes... I have a lot of cookie cutters)

Honestly, I don't think I've ever gotten a bad gift or something completely off the wall. 

Hodge-podge. While I always love the look of people who do their houses or trees with one theme, I'm just too sentimental about certain ornaments and decorations so they all get put out. 

I love the classics- Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Bing Crosby, etc. I definitely skip on Do They Know It's Christmas Time and hate that Christmas Shoes song.

I used to love getting Christmas cards but it feels like no one does them anymore. I think we got maybe 3 last year?

Voluspa's Crushed Candy Cane is always a good one this time of year. I'm also loving several "smokey" candles like the Homeworx Fireside, Otherland's Kindling, and Diptyque's Etincelles.

@quspork I think your decorating style must make for a very cozy and warm home 🏡 I also appreciate your recommendations for smoky candles!

We've definitely festive if nothing else, @eshoe 🤣

@quspork never a bad gift?  You're so lucky!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos32
  • 27-Best-Vintage-Christmas-Ornaments-In-The-1950s-And-1960s.jpg
  • natale-caminetto-lineavz.jpg
  • best-christmas-cookies.jpg
  • 120914_AH_0630.jpg
  • download.jpe
  • 87FCD087-26B8-475C-9AF4-C03E4EAA24E5.jpeg
  • tumblr_mpouuknHuU1qkwwklo1_500
  • archway cookies.jpg
  • christmas cards.jpg