Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

@blackkitty2014  Your very kind 🥰.  Thank you 😊 

Oh, I’m interested in your take on this one @Cissy63. I have passed by displays of the book at bookstores and see it online. I almost picked it up with my last set of books but decided that the 4 I have should suffice for a while.

What a blessing you were to the vets you cared for. 🤍 

@itsfi  So far the author is using the names of the real locations of places in Vietnam, including the names of the air base.   She is also using the slang terms that my Vets used.  She interviewed several military nurses who served in Vietnam and it seems that she is sticking with how they describe the situation in country.  

@itsfi  Thank you for saying this.  You’re very kind. So far it reads very well.  It seems like the author has done her research!  But I will let you know at the end 

Wonderful to hear it's off to a good start @Cissy63. Love hearing that you especially have found accuracy in the author's writing about the subject - it says a lot that the author put in the time to do the research, to give the story a sense of authenticity. 

I recently finished the book "In a Jam" by Kate Canterbary. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me that new beginnings can happen at anytime. 

610-8VJ74BL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

What a great reminder @Mellmars1185! Feels like a book I should add to my list. I have a handful of books to read first, but have it on my list.

@itsfi This one surprised me. I could not put it down once I got into it.

Spoiler
It can get a bit graphic at times. This is my warning lol

I am currently reading a book that I got from the thrift store called 'Then She Was Gone' by Lisa Jewell. It is taking me a while to get into it. I will reort back if I enjoyed it.

Wow, that is saying a lot if you couldn't put it down. Thank you for the warning @Mellmars1185. I'll be sure I'm in the right frame of mind if/when it comes time to give this a read.

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig  

Another quick read, even more so than the previous one. Thank you to @Mellmars1185 for recommending this one. 📖

2.2024 The Midnight Library.jpg

This was an interesting read. Inside The Midnight Library, the protagonist tries to discover for herself the best way to live, by sliding in and out of alternative lives she might have lead if she made certain choices. 

Some noteworthy quotes:

Spoiler

"Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be different if you had other choices ... Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?"

"A person was like a city. You couldn't let a few less desirable parts put you off the whole. There may be bits you don't like, a few dodgy side streets and suburbs, but the good stuff makes it worthwhile."

"If you aim to be something you are not, you will always fail. Aim to be you. Aim to look and act and think like you. Aim to be the truest version of you. Embrace that you-ness. Endorse it. Love it. Work hard at it. And don't give a second thought when people mock or ridicule it. Most gossip is envy in disguise. Keep your heaad down. Keep your stamina. Keep swimming ..."

"It was one of life's rules - Never trust someone who is willingly rude to low-paid service staff."

"When you have worries about things you don't know about, like the future, it's a very good idea to remind yourself of things you do know." (emphasis added)

I'm back on track with my one book per month goal. 👍 Not sure what I'll read next but have a few to choose from. Probably will not be going through them as quickly as the last two, but will be sure to post here when I'm done.

Ok. I didn't read any of the spoilers because I just picked this up today along with Yellowface @itsfi 

It's awesome that you guys already read it @itsfi @Mellmars1185 !!!

@jaaayp I hope you enjoy the books!! Try not to stay up too late reading 😉

Aww you remembered @Mellmars1185 🥰 I'll try not to but I'm reading The Teacher by Frieda and idk if I can put it down... LOL 😂

@jaaayp I will check that book out!

@jaaayp, my spoilers for this one just listed some quotes I liked from the book and/or ones that made me think. No plot or ending spoilers.

I'll still not spoil and come back this post to see if we twinsie on the quotes @itsfi 🤭😂

That's a good plan @jaaayp! I love a good quote so I like to post them (and try to pick the ones that don't give things away). It'll be great to hear your thoughts on this one when you are done with the book.

Oooh, @itsfi you read it! I hope you enjoyed it...or at least gave you something to think about. It definitely did for myself. I love your cookie!! It would definitely be a nice rewardbfor finishing a book!

I did enjoy the book @Mellmars1185, was rooting for her to find her way. The storyline, her thoughts, and the things that came from her interactions with people were very thought-provoking.

lol, when I saw that cookie, my immediate thought was of this thread. I had to get it, and to snap a photo of it with a book. 

Just finished these 2. @itsfi @hooked me up with The Last Thing He Told Me. It’s a fast read.  Haven’t seen the movie but I can tell Jennifer Garner would be good in it. 👌  need to start Fourth Wing which I checked out before The Last Thing He Told Me. I have to say I am intimidated by the book length 😂🤣 Wish me luck friends 
IMG_2525.jpegIMG_2526.jpeg

Wow, you went through that quick @blackkitty2014! Do you think you’ll watch the show? 

989 Replies
testing