Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

Omg! I want To be in your home! Lol! Hahahaha! We are the same way, but since I am The one that always has to bring out the snacks and drinks, lol! Thanks @prettyinpa!!💖🤣 You were awesome enough to make it clear in the beginning that we can be drifters, and, for that, I’m grateful!

Can I please join you all? I realized that I should get back into reading in my spare time 🙂 I just ordered a few books on this list, and if I read fast enough then I should be able to discuss the murder on the orient express towards the end of the month!

Please do! The more the merrier! @sabrinas

Welcome to the Book Club @sabrinas!  Feel free to jump in, glad to have you!

Welcome @sabrinas!  We're reading Murder on the Orient Express or if you'd rather wait until the next book that's fine too.

Yes, please join @sabrinas

Please do @sabrinas! The more the merrier!!!

Please do @sabrinas! The more the merrier!!!

How are you all coming along in Murder on the Orient Express? Would discussion starting on the 23 of this month be too soon? (Not to cut the discussion on Little Fires off, just some housekeeping thing here). If you all need another week, no problem, just let me know. I remember some of you were having trouble with your various libraries.

@prettyinpa I will have to mark my calendar 🙂  I wasn't able to read Little Fires Everywhere, but I did read Murder on the Orient Express years ago so I hope to participate in the conversation.

I'll be late to the party again, @prettyinpa!  Just finished Little Fires and haven't picked up Murder on the Orient Express yet, but it's one I want to re-read (haven't read Agatha Christy in a looooong time!).  I see that not everyone has had a chance to participate in the discussion of Little Fires yet - I wonder if we should add a week to finish discussions of Little Fires? ❤️

@Tamara76- We can discuss Little Fires up til it's time to start the discussion of Murder on the Orient Express, there isn't a time limit on how long people have to put in their comment. I was hoping people who had difficulties getting the book and were just finishing up would chime in too.

Sounds good, @prettyinpa! ❤️

@prettyinpa,

I need to start reading!  I wandered off and read other things after Little Fires...

@tsavorite @PrettyPaint I've read other things, too! Also, sorry to say that I am going to sit out Murder. I started reading it and I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I'm going to rad other stuff until we are on to item # 3 Happy reading!!!! @prettyinpa

Whoops, me too! I need to get reading!

@prettyinpa that’s fine with me too. I’d better start reading!

@prettyinpa - I'm finished reading.  February 23 is fine with me.

Sounds awesome! Started it today. 

RE: BIC book club!

I went over budget last month so I didn’t purchase or read little fires everywhere however payday was on the first of feb so I just purchased murder on the orient express. And Will start reading that today. And As I have the next two days of Of work my weekend starts today which means a binge read is is in my foreseeable future( Insert random Squeak Of excitement here) 🙂

Happy February 1st!  So what did you all think of Little Fires?  I loved how the author kept the suspense of who burned the house down for so long. Izzy's character was so well developed.

@prettyinpa I absolutely loved Little Fires!  I was super late to the party and only gave myself a week to read it and ended up with lots of "little fires" to put out at work and home, so I didn't have as much to read as I would have liked.  However, this was a book I seriously did not want to put down!

As a mother, I was fascinated by Ng's exploration of motherhood in many forms and I loved how much she drew me in to all the characters!  Also, as I mentioned right after starting the book, it took me back to the '90s, although it could have been written today (I kept forgetting and wondering why they didn't call people on their cell phones - lol).

I agree with others who said the ending felt very abrupt, but I wonder if that was intentional?  It definitely left me wondering where Izzy, Mia, Pearl and Bebe's journeys took them next.  But that may have been the point since the Richardsons may never find out - they would continue living their lives in Shaker Heights, day in and day out - The same, yet changed forever.  It kind of reminded me in a way of the very last scene of the Sopranos...

Anyway, I hope others are able to finish the book and join in the conversation! ❤️

951 Replies
testing