Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

A couple of books I recently read that others might enjoy are

- Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

🙂

I am not sure if this book has been mentioned in this conversation so I apologize in advance if it has. The book 'Where The Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens is an amazing book. I highly recommend. I could not put it down and i haven't found a book since i have read it that has come close to being as excellent

I Recommend “It Ends With Us” - Colleen Hoover. 
Gets you hooked right from the beginning and literally made me contemplate life when it ended. ANYONE who enjoys romance. Read it! 

I see that The Hate U Give is something that is being discussed. I have a number of Angie Thoms books on my shelf, ended up hauling them last June. 

As a huge hip-hop head, I’ve come to appreciate Mav’s references.  The Hate U Give = thug. If you have nothing to live for, you should find something you’d die for. 
The world is an unfair place and Angie was able to find a narrative that should be an essential spot on any Y/A reader’s shelf. I gripped each page, flipping through while I was emotionally invested in all of the characters. 
I was disappointed that there was no sequel but you never know, maybe one day. 

I just found out from a friend i can get ebooks from the libby app and have rediscovered how much i missed reading. There is nothing like the feel of a real book in hand but i tend to read fast and never go back to reread, now i remembered why i would borrow 20 books at once as a kid lol. Also just discovered if you have Amazon prime, they offer some books free with prime reading. 
i am currently on the women’s murder club series by Robert Patterson, bk 5 of 21 and i started last Sunday. 

Very much into crime books and mysteries lol, so if you have any recs drop it below 😉

Hi, @aviscardi !  Yes!  I actually use Overdrive which goes through Amazon.  There is an app for Libby in Overdrive.  I thought I would miss real books until I joined this book club and a work colleague gave me her old Kindle.  I have been going through books like water!  I started the women's murder club.  I also recommend Charles Todd.  The books are set just after WWI.  Since my Kindle bit the dust and I haven't ordered a new one, I'll have to get back to you on the rest.  I can remember the characters, but not the authors.  Oh, Margaret Truman comes to mind as well and of course anything else by James Patterson.

Yep I think I will end up going through all of his books I had hub print out a list from his website. I also heard that not all books are available in app through the library, like Dean Koontz for eg. small list in Libby but i found 1 series i was interested in through Amazon prime reading. I also heard that some people use overdrive online and send to kindle  that way, is there a difference between that and the Libby app? I think I will most likely end up getting a kindle because I am using my iPad right now but between using for work and then regular scrolling or YouTube videos it’s going to be on plug all the time. @Titian06 I started a list in my phone because the names aren’t my strong suit either LOL

@aviscardi - I tried Libby once, and to be honest maybe didn't give it a chance, but I think Overdrive is more user friendly.  Yes, I read with my Kindle plugged in.  Since I'm reading with my android tablet, the cable is too short to keep plugged in.  Very annoying!

A couple of other authors I thought of are Kate Morton and Sue Graphton.

Libby is the app by overdrive. Is overdrive the website version? Meaning it’s pulling from the same library assets but it’s just a different user interface?

thanks for the additional recs I’ll probably have to look for something in between because it looks like the next two books in my series are on hold. 

@aviscardi - I believe that is correct.  😁

Gotcha. It’s like a whole new world lol. I just discovered 1 library e-card exp 5 years and the other yearly. So you have to apply for a new one again. Then i read 3m cloud library i guess there are more books there but are ePub only and kindle app doesn’t recognize it. I think eventually i wanted to get a kindle tablet so I’m not murdering my iPad ha 

@aviscardi - I can read EPUBS on my android tablet (that's how I've been reading without my Kindle), but not on my Kindle with Overdrive either.  I have to renew my library card every 3 years.  At least I can do it online now!  BTW, my library had someone who helped me get setup with Overdrive.  Maybe yours can provide help too.

Current reads are Steve Jobs and A Farewell to Arms. I I’m loving both!

My favorite book, not a novel at all, but a play by John Boynton Priestley, "The Inspector's Call," as for me, is a real Nobel laureate. You can read about it here there is a great essay. The point is that the play has a therapeutic effect. And you will lift your spirits, even if you are depressed. I often read when I want to give myself a burst of energy.

RE: BIC book club!

They are great books

@prettyinpa I was really hoping to do some reading during all of this, but have been extra busy at work.  I stopped by my local Half Price Books, and had forgotten how expensive the books are that aren't mass market paperbacks.  I left empty-handed.

What I *would* have gotten was, "The Silver Star" by Jeannette Walls, "Celebrity Encounters from A to Z" by Kathy Griffin," and oh no - I forgot the last one!  It had a theme similar to that of an Amy Tan or Lisa See.  I might have to stop by just to refresh my memory.

I honestly can't remember if I posted about the last few books I read ages ago (I hope it wasn't so long ago that I posted about it LAST summer!).  Two by David Sedaris, "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" and "When You are Engulfed in Flames."  "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls and "I Hate Everyone...Starting with Me" by Joan Rivers.

EDIT: Just scrolled back a little more that I'd have liked to.  I posted about reading "Half Broke Horses: 367 days ago!  Jeez!  Time flies!

I finally did some more reading.  I read "Calypso" by David Sedaris, and finally bit the bullet and paid $7.99 for "The Silver Star."  I enjoyed them both.  I read about 50 pages or so of Erma Bombeck's "Aunt Erma's Cope Book" as I recall @Titian06 rec'ing her work.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it.  Maybe one of her others is better?

After 1917 the movie came out I started reading The Allie by Winston Groom. I'll be honest...I just finished it last week. It took me months. Now in two days I just read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris, which is going to be made into a movie. That's going to be a hard movie to watch. And up next I have The Outsider by Stephen King. Which might actually be the first Stephen King book I've read.

1917 was a great movie! @Samtian 

@Samtian - I haven't heard of the Allie, but I have heard of the Tatooist of Auschwitz.  It's on my list to read.  I've been reading a lot of who-dun-its and historical fiction with some out of my comfort zone thrown in to keep me on my toes.  😁

@Titian06 I love historicals. The Allies is about Churchill, FDR, and Stalin, from their childhood to their deaths. 

4 Replies
testing