Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

I finally did some more reading.  I read "Calypso" by David Sedaris, and finally bit the bullet and paid $7.99 for "The Silver Star."  I enjoyed them both.  I read about 50 pages or so of Erma Bombeck's "Aunt Erma's Cope Book" as I recall @Titian06 rec'ing her work.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it.  Maybe one of her others is better?

After 1917 the movie came out I started reading The Allie by Winston Groom. I'll be honest...I just finished it last week. It took me months. Now in two days I just read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris, which is going to be made into a movie. That's going to be a hard movie to watch. And up next I have The Outsider by Stephen King. Which might actually be the first Stephen King book I've read.

1917 was a great movie! @Samtian 

@Samtian - I haven't heard of the Allie, but I have heard of the Tatooist of Auschwitz.  It's on my list to read.  I've been reading a lot of who-dun-its and historical fiction with some out of my comfort zone thrown in to keep me on my toes.  😁

@Titian06 I love historicals. The Allies is about Churchill, FDR, and Stalin, from their childhood to their deaths. 

I need to pick this back up especially since I'm home much more now! I feel like everyone is obsessed with in 5 years and Verity right now - is anyone reading those?

Hi, @Kim888 @Samtian !  I haven't heard of either of these books.  I have heard of the Tatooist of Auschwitz.  It's on my list.  Currently I'm reading Al Franken's "Giant of the Senate."  After that, I'll be reading Lynda Cohen Loigman's."Wartime Sisters."  I just finished "The Silence of the Girls" by Pat Barker.  It was a disappointment after reading "Circe."  I've been reading 2 to 3 books a week pretty steadily thanks to this book club!

@Kim888 I haven't heard of them. 

This weekend I finished reading

- The Devil Wears Prada

- Next Year in Havana

@Titian06  Have you seen the movie, the Devil Wears Prada? I had read the book during a flight almost a year before the movie came out and am slightly obsessed with the film, one of the only movie adaptations that I greatly prefer to the actual book. Also, Meryl 🙂 

@MissPuff - No, I haven't seen the movie.  Sounds like maybe I should.  I wasn't impressed with the book at all.

@Titian06  Oh the movie is so much better and it's always on TNT or E or something, definitely a fun watch 🙂 

I too felt that the book was kinda..meh. The writing isn't terrible but the characters were all sort of unlikable by the end and the story lines totally got away from the writer. I remember picking it up at the airport because I've always been obsessed with Vogue, then finding it not as good as I wanted it to be. Also, in the age of powerful female bosses, I found myself more annoyed with whiny Andy than with Miranda, why shouldn't female bosses be as demanding in their perfection as a male boss inevitably would be?

@MissPuff So this comment is almost a year late but I just saw this thread. lol.

Devil wears prada movie came out when I was in college. Other than the Harry Potter request, my friends and I thought everything else Andi was asked to do was normal expectations from managers, especially senior level managers, at most prestigious companies. I don't think it is healthy lifestyle but its certainly not strange for a new grad. 

And the movie is waaaay better than the book. I read the book after watching the movie and was so turned off by it. I am still amazed to this day that they made a good movie out of that novel. 

@nche  Umm, I have an unhealthy love for this movie and would gladly discuss it no matter how much later the original comment 🙂 I totally agree, the book was so bad that I couldn't believe the movie salvaged the majority of the plot and then made it BETTER.

The Harry Potter book thing had me dying because I've had bosses where when you achieve the impossible once, they just find progressively more and more insane tasks for you do (which, when you somehow manage to actually complete those, makes them assume it's all a walk in the park). Would I do that job now as a full on adult? Never (who has that energy!?), but as a 20-something, just out of college...absolutely and I actually have (not in that field, and certainly not glamorous, but with a boss fairly nutty and beyond demanding).

Can I also add that Andy's boyfriend was a giant jerkface in the movie, how was he meant to be sympathetic at all?! 

@MissPuff Hahaha I don't seek it out but I watch this movie every time its shown on cable - which is actually quite often strangely.

It's funny because I made my husband watch it once a long time ago and he's become super into it too - maybe because it is actually a work dramedy and not a rom-com. He has a lot of opinions. Especially about the boyf. He hated the unsupportive boyf who didn't care how Andy was struggling or her accomplishments. This was hilarious to me because he loved entourage and the actor is the main guy from that show. 

I know exactly what you mean about impossible tasks. I had a boss that gave me increasing number of duties and when I finally found a new job and gave notice, he had to get 3 people to do my work. lol. And he told them my tasks are easy and when I trained the 3 PEOPLE, they were like this is not easy at all. This is so complicated. Yup, it was easy for him to review because I did the work properly. Now I'm older with boundaries (but I still say yes too much). 

A couple of us talked during the meetup about reading “More Than Enough” by Elaine Welteroth since we had the chance to get it signed at the NYC Color Up Close event. Im going to try and start this week. 

@clairedabear @trishavt @ElleElleG @michelleshops @unfungirl @Cyncynn @jen143xo @darkiceis 

I haven't started as of yet @lnum .  Would love to hear everyone's feedback though!

@lnum  YES I have already started!! 😄

@lnum  thanks for the reminder! i started the book on my flight home, and i am already halfway through! i would love to discuss it with you ladies after we all read it! it's impossible to put down.

@unfungirl Ohhhh I’m going to try and start it this week!!! We can video you into our book club meeting. 😄

@lnum yes! I would love that! ❤️

testing