Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

RE: BIC book club!

Omg I’m also working on this collection! I’m halfway through the second book

Wait til you get to A Dance With Dragons! Talk about a long read

Re: RE: BIC book club!

@KehDee hopefully you can finish all 5 books before he releases the newest one that was suppose to come out 2 years ago but keeps getting postpone. 

This Is my current read

@KehDee like the children described in the book, my marshmallow are eyeshadow palettes and I’m trying not to buy anymore until the end of the year. Hopefully, my self control is strong!

Re: BIC book club!

Was wondering if anyone had any good books they'd recommend for summer reading.  I just finished reading "The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane" by Lisa See, "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls and "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.   

@greeneyedgirl107 These are some books I love that I coul...

@Anonymous7 These are some books I love that I couldn't put down when I read them. They're historical fiction...one of my favorite types of books!

Re: @greeneyedgirl107 These are some books I love that I coul...

@GodivaMoon Those do sound interesting!  The funny thing is, I don't like history but I really like historical fiction!  Thanks!

@greeneyedgirl107 

Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed
The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin

Rebel Seoul by Axie Oh

Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee

Scattered Among Strange Worlds by Aliette de Bodard

The Android’s Dream by John Scalzi

RE: Re: BIC book club!

@Anonymous7 I really loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton. They have that great summer reads vibe!

Re: RE: Re: BIC book club!

@janedoe13 Thanks for the recs!  I am esp interested in the Old Hollywood vibes from "Seven Wives."  🙂

@greeneyedgirl107 

I read a book every week but I read mostly thriller/suspense. So it depends what sort of genre you’re looking for! 

@GG84 I'm open to thrillers/suspense.  The last ones I read were a while back (Tami Hoag and John Sandford) but I enjoyed them 🙂

@greeneyedgirl107 @GG84 - A work colleague turned me on to James Patterson's the women's murder club series.  These read very fast.

@Titian06 Thanks for the rec.  I think I read one of those years ago 🙂

One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my two favorite books. I would love to re-read it and see  all of your thoughts on the book. What do the numbers next to the book titles mean? 

If I didn’t have four books on my nightstand right now, I’d jump in with you all! I bought my mom a year-long Book of the Month subscription for Christmas, and it came with one free month for me. I forgot to cancel it, and here we are four months later...I’ll check back in when I’m finished with what I have. The books in my queue, in case anyone is interested:

Here Comes the Sun, Nicole Dennis-Benn

Golden Child, Claire Adam

Early Riser, Jasper Fforde

Lot, Bryan Washington

Okay, so I was just intimidated by the number of pages in Fall of Giants plus someone said they had a hard time getting into it. So instead I read Little Fires Everywhere, The Fault in our Stars, and The Wedding Dress. Previously I've read Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile and The Great Gatsby. I may have to check out some of the others on the list.

Back to the point, I've found the discussions for The Fault in our Stars and The Wedding Dress but those without "Discussion" next to them - do they have a post dedicated to the discussion that I'm missing? Can't wait to see what others thought of the books I've caught up on and share my feelings. Also I read Big Little Lies right before discovering the BIC book club and am excited for the group to get to that one!

Hi, @ShortErica!  We started separate threads for discussing the books with the last few.  Before that, the discussions were in this thread.  We're currently on hiatus/reading Fall of Giants.  If you read each "act" or "section" in one sitting (they're usually short) the book goes by pretty fast and it's easier to keep track of all the characters.

Thanks for the information @Titian06. I will have to find where you all talked about Little Fires Everywhere cause I am curious. Also I will have to try that strategy and give Fall of Giants a true go before giving up.

I definitely would love to join this.

As a suggestion -- would it work if we had a dedicated thread to each ongoing book discussion?  Or is that somewhere else and I just don't know..

3 Replies
testing