Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

@prettyinpa,

I loved To Kill A Mockingbird!  I'm so glad that I read it again now as an adult. 

@tsavorite-  I'm glad I reread it too. I vaguely remember it from high school and saw the movie a couple of years ago (movie only slightly resembles the book) and it's all new to me. I love that the book is from the perspective of Scout rather than some adult. And being taught by "The Dewey Decimal System", OMG, I was dying laughing. 😄

ETA: Remember "New Math"? That was such a failure, too.

@prettyinpa

I think that I may have read Mockingbird in Jr. High.  It was new to me when I reread it now also. I remembered a little bit from the movie, as I read.

Is this a safe place to mention how much I did not like Harper's other book, Go Set A Watchman.  I am practicing amnesia about Go Set A Watchman.  It never happened.

@tsavorite-  Fine place to mention your dislike of Go Set a Watchman, I read bad reviews of it and never bothered. A sequel could have been so good, but I heard that the book felt sloppy and hurried.

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird, but won't be ready to discuss until sometime next week, so take your time, ladies. If you need more time than that, just let me know, I understand it's summer and you all have better (or beachier) things to do.

@prettyinpa - I'm finished with To Kill a Mockingbird as well.  Waiting until next week is fine with me.

I thought I would let all you book lovers know that Penguin Random House has a sweepstakes in which you could win all 100 books from PBS’s the Great American Read show. My two favorite books The Grapes of Wrath and 100 Years of Solitude are on that list. I see 100 Years of Solitude is also on your reading list so yay! I’m not sure if I am allowed to post the link here?...C7ACC5E8-A0CC-4DBE-9829-CED377154B80.jpeg

I will be late to the party with To Kill a Mockingbird - I haven't read it in years, so I definitely want to read it before sharing.  I'm still working on Unqualified by Anna Faris - love her! 

070518unqualified.PNG

what a beautiful view to read by!!! where do you live

what a beautiful view to read by!!! where do you live

@Tamara76- I got my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird but haven't started it yet. I got the latest John Connolly book and have to finish it because I can't renew, someone has a hold on it after me.

@prettyinpa  Yay - Now I don't feel so bad about being late to the party! ❤️

So are we ready to discuss Exit West? @IndyQT317- did you finish?

So sorry @prettyinpa. I started looking for the book than...

So sorry @prettyinpa. I started looking for the book than picked up Taraji P. Henson's memoir. I'll start reading the next book after Exit West this week.

I'm waaaaay behind - just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - lol!

Maybe I can jump in on the next one and read this one later?  ❤️   @prettyinpa @Titian06 @IndyQT317 @fatimamummy

ETA:  I also missed Death on the Nile, but I have the book already! My life is so crazy, there is little down time so I mainly read late at night when everyone else is asleep - It's my me-time! ❤️ 

Also, I see Ken Follett coming up - I love him, but it took me months to finish The Pillars of the Earth, so I know I'll get way behind again when y'all get to him and will probably have to pass on that one.

And if we're still doing book club in November, I'll have to drop everything for Fire and Blood (assuming it drops on time) - love me some Targaryens! ❤️  Just so ya know and don't think I'm just a really bad book club member!  xoxoxoxoxo

We ❤️ you @Tamara76!  Read whatever fits in your schedule and/or skip the ones you know you won't be interested in.  This is for fun--don't get stressed out!  I'll be skipping a few later on.

Exit West reads fast; at least it did for me.  It's around 230 pp, so it's not that long either.  Death on the Nile is almost 300 pp and took a lot longer to read.  Just to give you an idea.

Thank you, @Titian06! ❤️ 

I went ahead and ordered the next few books plus Exit West.  While I'm waiting for them to come in, I'll probably start Unqualified by Anna Faris - It's been on my nightstand for months! ❤️

BIC book club!

Hey BIC! I'm interested in dropping in, but had a quick question. What is the timetable on reading the book then discussion? A week? For example, if I pick up the Exit West and start to read it would it be too late?

Hi, @IndyQT317!  Welcome to the book club!  I've been done with the book for a while, but @prettyinpa just got her copy from the library earlier this week.  You're definitely not too late.  Enjoy!

How did you like Exit West, @Titian06? I thought it was really interesting and the writing style so rich. I didn't quite get the part about the doors, was it a metaphor or something?

@prettyinpa - Here's what the author says about the doors (from an interview on PBS Newshour earlier this year):

So, right now, most of us have a little black rectangle in our pocket or our backpack or our purse. And when we look at it, our consciousness goes far, far away from our bodies, like magically appearing somewhere else, looking at your phone, and suddenly you’re reading about the moon or Mars or Antarctica.

And I thought, what would happen if your body could move as easily as your mind can move? I think technology is obliterating geographic distance. And so the doors in a way give life to that.

I didn't care for the story itself, but I did like how it was written.  I liked that it is narrated with occasional dialog from the characters.  I also liked the sudden shift to a portal scene.  Totally unexpected.  I'm not sure why it is publicized as a "romance"; I did not get romantic anything out of the story except at the beginning of Nadia & Saeed's relationship.  I feel it's closer to, but not quite, sci-fi.  Actually, it boarders on several categories and romance is probably the least controversial.

I found it interesting in how this topic was written in today's environment vs. how this type of topic was depicted (movies, tv, books) during the Cold War.

@prettyinpa My understand is that passing through the doors is a metaphor used for immigration to other countries? As in today’s time ppl from most every country immigrate to other places for jobs, refuge or other purposes. I think that is the theme of this book but I can’t be sure. I would love to know what others think too.

testing