Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

Well, ladies, what did you think about Exit West? I really liked it, the imagery was so full and the conflict was so real.

I got my copy of Exit West from the library today, so we can start discussion on Friday if that's ok with everyone? I should be done by then easily. Can hardly wait, the book review sounds fascinating.

@prettyinpa (and anyone else) - I'm done with Exit West.

@Titian06  I'm still waiting for my copy on hold to become available at the library. If you ladies want to start the discussion without me, feel free, I can catch up later.

@prettyinpa - I checked my Kindle Fire to see if I could loan the book to you.  Unfortunately, this book can't be lent.  What a bummer!  The book reads fast, at least it did for me.  It's around 230 pp.

@Titian06-  So what did you think of Death on the Nile?  It was interesting to see the take on stalking in those days vs today. Once again, the plot was pretty predictable, it seemed obvious right from the start that something fishy was going on with the 2 former lovers.

Hi, @prettyinpa!  It was interesting to read the book again after 40 years.  It was quite similar to the other book.  To me, it was pretty obvious who was involved.  Today's detective shows always say "follow the money."  That's all you had to do.  Since Jacqueline didn't have any money and she was looking for a job for Sam, how was she able to afford to travel all over the world to stalk Sam and Linnet?  You're right about the stalking.  Back then, women were dismissed as "too feeble" to be a problem.  Today, they'd be slapped with a restraining order.  What I found "fishy" was when Jacqueline was drinking in the saloon and Sam decided to stay after playing bridge, Jacqueline insisted upon Cornelia Robson staying.  You just knew something intentional was going to happen that required a witness/alibi.  I still enjoyed the book, just not as much as my teenage self.

Are any of you ladies finished Death on the Nile and ready to discuss?  I just got the book, it took forever to get it from the library. If you want to start discussion without me, that's ok, that way we can move on to the next book and I can finish the Agatha Christie at leisure.

@prettyinpa - I just started reading it today while waiting to get my hair done.  I was planning to read it this weekend since it's a long weekend.  If others would rather skip and go to the next one, I'm OK with doing that too, though I would prefer to read.

@Titian06-  Since you and I are both reading it,. lets discuss after this weekend when we will both be finished. Everyone else can get started on the next book and we'll all catch up together.

This works for me, @prettyinpa!

I'll get started on Exit West and meet you ladies back here in a week or two! 

@prettyinpa, @Titian06, @greeneyedgirl107

@prettyinpa I never got around to getting it, and haven't read it before nor have I seen the movie.  SO, I don't think I'll be participating in this one!  🙂

How did everyone like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?  I really liked it, it took awhile for me to get used to his style, though I think some of the problem was in that it was translated from Swedish. But the ending, wow! I would have never guessed that ending, I'm starting the Girl Who Played with Fire, the next in the series.

@prettyinpa @Titian06 @keana1 @heylady14

So I finally finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 2 months late (whoops!).

I really liked the book and agree with others that I would have liked to jump straight into the next books in this series, but I'm already way behind - lol!

It honestly took me a while to get into the book because the first half seemed to move really slow for me - I am not sure if that was an intentional literary device to demonstrate some of the tedium of research/investigation (ala Solzhenitsyn) or if that's just how Larsson builds up suspense.  Once he started cracking the code, though, I was totally hooked and couldn't put it down.

I also agree that the situations with Erika and Cecilia being so mad at Mikael and ghosting him for long periods of time were odd - I don't know if that is just a cultural difference or if the author doesn't have a lot of insight into the minds of women or what, but it felt a little over dramatic - Especially when the behavior of those women is juxtaposed against Lisbeth's nonchalant attitude toward Mikael (although I didn't like how she even started doubting herself toward the end).

Finally, I, like others here, loved Lisbeth, but was a little surprised that she played such a minor role in the book until the last quarter or so.  I kept waiting and waiting for her to show up at Hedeby Island, but it seemed like the book was way too focused on Mikael.  I wonder how different the book would have been had it been written more from her perspective.  I guess I'll wait to read the next few books in the series to find out more about her! ❤️ 

RE: Re: BIC book club!

@prettyinpa I read the first 3 books from the Millennium series as soon as they came out. They were translated in French many years before being translated in English. The most interesting were the first and third books. All 3 of them made for great reading! I know that there is a fourth book available now but I haven’t read it yet. I have so many books to read ... I really enjoy reading books, especially thrillers 💀 either medical or any book from James Patterson ❤️❤️❤️

Re: RE: Re: BIC book club!

@keana1-  You have plenty to read by James Patterson, he seems to have a book out about once a month. His Private series I can't get into, but I like the Alex Cross series.

@prettyinpa The private series are really good but you need to start with the first book! The women’s murder club series is very good but like any series you need to read the first one so that you can be introduced to the main characters and then you can follow each character evolution. His books are so fast paced that when I start reading I just have to finish it the same day ! 

RE: Re: BIC book club!

I really enjoyed this book. These were coming out while I studied abroad in Sweden, and it was definitely a cultural phenomenon. Some of the stuff is very Swedish (an open relationship with a married woman) and a LOT of the series is about the way that men, seemingly even enlightened ones, can be horribly sexist towards women. #EuroMeToo. It’s creepy and interesting in a lot of good ways. If you want to watch the movie, the Swedish versions are all on Netflix, and are awesome. It’s worth dealing with subtitles, even if you’re not a fan. I love Daniel Craig a lot, but the Swedish movies are so much better. I’m open at some point to a re-poll if we want to go there. Lots of ties and some diminishing votes towards the end. I’m also cool with alternating between classic and modern books, or doing the occasional classic book with a theme, a la the Popsugar reading group. There are so many good book ideas floating around this thread! I really look forward to everyone’s thoughts and discussions!

@heylady14 - Thanks for sharing your cultural insight!  How exciting to have been living in Sweden at the time these books were coming out.  I hope you enjoyed your time and studies while you were there.

@heylady14- I think I liked this book the best of all we've read as a group so far!  Wow, studying in Sweden, bet that was amazing. It must really have given you a different perspective on the book.

2 Replies
testing