Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: RE: Re: BIC book club!

@heylady14 - Thanks for sharing your cultural insight!  How exciting to have been living in Sweden at the time these books were coming out.  I hope you enjoyed your time and studies while you were there.

Re: RE: Re: BIC book club!

@heylady14- I think I liked this book the best of all we've read as a group so far!  Wow, studying in Sweden, bet that was amazing. It must really have given you a different perspective on the book.

Re: BIC book club!

@prettyinpa I’m skipping Girl with the dragon tattoo  (I’m in a habit to read all the books of a series back to back so I have to come back to it when I can manage to read other books of the series as well) and Death by the Nile for now. I’m done reading “ Exit west “ and “ The Hate you give” so I’ll be catching up with you all on rest of the list and will try to stay on schedule.

@fatimamummy-  You'll like the second book in the series, The Girl Who Played with Fire, it explains a lot of things that were kind of glossed over in the first book. Like why Lisbeth called him Kalle Blomkvist and who that actually was. I'm enjoying the 2nd book, hope you like it too.

Hi, @fatimamummy!  I understand what you're saying!  As I was finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I kept thinking it was too bad we couldn't read the next two books in the series (the ones written by the same author) next.  I'm going to be skipping a couple of book later on, so that's when I'm going to read the next two books.  I don't know if I'll read the books not written by him.  If you do, let me know if/how they fit in with the rest (that's my concern).

@prettyinpa I would up catching the movie on "On Demand" and watching it - then I realized it was on the book list.  Oops!  So I didn't end up reading the book.  My question is, does anyone feel that it is sometimes challenging to read a book after watching the movie b/c as a reader we already have the actor playing the role in our head?  Sometimes I think I would have interpreted characters differently if a role wasn't so closely associated with a famous movie star.

@greeneyedgirl107 - Actually, I'm the opposite.  It doesn't matter whether I read the book first (preferred though) or see the movie first, but I like to read the book and see the movie to see what the differences are.  I usually side with the book since that is how the story was originally intended.  Hollywood usually adds, deletes, and combines to fit the budget and time constraints.

If I see the movie first, I want to read the book as soon as possible to find out what was originally intended by the author.  In that case, I may envision the main movie actors in their roles when reading the book.

I really liked this book!  I'm definitely going to read more in this series.  There are definitely some grammar issues; and like @prettyinpa, I think they can be attributed to translation rather than lack of proofreading.  A few issues I have with the book are the lack of development of the Wennerstrom lawsuit and the background on why Blomkvist wouldn't let the situation go.  We do learn about this at the end of the book, but that's rather pointless.  You would think the author would want us to feel that anger from the beginning so we understand why Blomkvist took the case from Vanger.  Another issue I have is with the Erika Berger character.  This character seems unnecessary or at least unnecessary as his "love (?) interest."  Again, the character development just doesn't make me, the reader, feel any passion from the two characters.  Just before Blomkvist leaves for Hedeby, she is supposedly so angry with him, she doesn't talk to him for a month, yet I don't feel that anger...and I'm not really sure what she's angry about.  The story would have worked just fine with this character as editor in chief only.  Since the story focused on Harriett, ending with the Wennerstrom company seemed more of an afterthought; definitely anticlimatic.

I loved the Salander character!  I figured out about a quarter of the way through the book that Harriett had to still be alive, so my focus was on how Salander and Blomkvist were going to come together.  I also enjoyed "the code"; that was very cleaver.  Of course the story did have a few strategic elements that just "happen" to occur at the right time.

Overall, a really good book.  Once I got going, I couldn't put it down!

How about this Friday, April 27th to start the discussion of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?  I finished it and loved it, a book I could really get into!

Things have been super crazy here, so I’ve not made much progress yet, but if y’all want to discuss this week, I can catch up later.❤️FEC36AFA-47B2-47E9-971B-B03D862E387D.jpeg

Your picture is very pretty, @Tamara76!  I hope things calm down so you can read.  I think once you get started, it will go pretty fast.  That's how it read for me.

@prettyinpa - I'll try to finish by Friday.  I'm maybe a quarter of the way through the book.  I just need to spend more time reading than I have been!  🙂

@Titian06-  If you need a bit more time we can postpone, I'm not trying to rush anyone. I just finished quickly because I couldn't put it down, lol.

Thanks, @prettyinpa!  I made a pretty big dent in the book yesterday after posting my note.  I'm over half way through now.  It's really getting interesting now!  I expect to be finished by Friday if not sooner.

BIC book club!

Janet evonvich "the Stephanie plum series" is amazing easy reads that will have you laughing out loud and want to know more.

@Justjamey- I love her Stephanie Plum series, those things are too hilarious!

YES!!!!  They are absoulety one of the best series out there. I think 25 comes out in November., and I can't WAIT!!!  I think more people should be aware of them. Sometimes life gets stressful or crazy it's always great to have books like these around!!! And it's so funny, because you really get attached to the people in the series and they are sooo relatable . You can totally imagine you know somebody just like them, and the laughs are just icing on the cake. Grandma mazur is so funny. And Lula the "ex ho" with her love for doughnuts, and everything else that's yummy, and Rex the hamster....this series is really something everybody should read at least once, or at the very least check out the first couple books at the library for free just to see what we are talking about!!!! I SWEAR YOU WILL BE hooked. The great thing is, for people whom haven't started reading them there are so many, they can have a great time reading on and going onto the next one right away. The year wait for the new ones kill me because it seems like it takes so long!! Haha. But these are books you won't want to put down once you start , and they will have you laughing out loud and speed reading through them.  They are a light easy read...but I SWEAR people won't regret reading these!!  Haha, I've bought all of them so far and reread them often.

So glad that someone else here has heard of them and loves them as well!!!  By chance, do you know of anymore series that are fun and amusing like these are?! I read so much I'm always open and love suggestions.  💟💕💞

Janet Evanovich also does the Diesel and Lizzy series, which is nearly as funny as the Stephanie series. I always save up a Stephanie Plum one for when I'm traveling on an airplane, it's nice to have something hilarious to offset the annoyance of airports, security and other delays.

Girls I’m intrigued by all the discussion of Janet Evanovich books. I haven’t read her before but I can definitely use a good funny reads on days when I need a little mood boost. I am going to start her plum series , reading it in parallel to our book club listing. Thank you @prettyinpa @Justjamey !

I finally read "The Glass Castle."  What an interesting and thought-provoking memoir!  I could talk about it endlessly.  I read it in two days.  I remember hearing about it when it was first published and being interested - now here it is over a decade later and it's still popular.  I wish I hadn't waited to so long to read it, but I'm so happy to have experienced it.  It had so many ups and downs, and so much to reflect on!

Sorry for being MIA for long. I wasn’t having luck to login to the BIC and then just got lazy to come and join in the discussion when the log in problem solved.

My take on Great Gatsby is that it was an interesting short book in a way as human behaviour and nature won’t change much over the time we can see all the characters of book around us today and will probably see them around hundreds af years from today. I felt the style of writing biographical ?

Pride and the Prejudice isn’t a book than can capture me enough to keep reading  it until it finishes. I have read it before with the same feelings. I did take two breaks And read two others books [ Dark in death ( latest in the In Death series) and Before I go to sleep] that became available on my holds. I did watch Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after with to lighten up the feel of book LOL

What I find most interesting in these classics is how the values and cultures evolve over time and how the story telling is effected by it.

Over the next few weeks I have to deviate from the agreed upon sequence of reading. “EXIT WEST” and “THE HATE YOU GIVE” had very long wait times in my library so I had holds on them ever since the club started. They both simultaneously become available and are auto signed out to my account. I’m going to read them before getting back to the list. I promise not to utter a word about them until others have read them and it is time for official discussion 🙂

1 Reply
testing