Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

@Tamara76 HOW does that even HAPPEN?!??!

@mermadelove, this is just speculation...@Tamara76 didn't say whether the seller was actually Amazon or another "company" (I use the term loosely).  For me personally, I usually only buy from Amazon direct.  I'll buy from others if I'm familiar with the company or have researched them just for this very reason.

@Titian06  YEah, that's why I stick with amazon sold products or at least Prime so if anything goes wrong......

@mermadelove @Titian06 I think the book was sold directly through Amazon?307AA8E8-BC59-493E-A24F-D9F0302BD1BF.jpeg

The pic on Amazon is a little misleading because on the actual book, Agatha Christie’s name appears cut off above the image and the book is oddly sized - lol:5E9F70D6-8795-4984-B495-6619440204BC.jpeg

And the punctuation, spelling and grammar is wrong throughout the book and it looks like someone typed it in Microsoft Word.  Take a gander at the back cover:14300A25-6DA6-496D-8698-B27CA97562EC.jpeg

So, be cautious if you see this edition of the book on Amazon.   Silly me for trying to avoid the book with the movie tie in cover (hate those!!!)!

Luckily, my hard back edition finally came in and it looks normal!❤️  I may hang on to the bad edition because it is kind of funny!

@Tamara76 That is bizarre. And unless I read it too fast, I don’t even remember some of that stuff on the back cover being in the “real” book.

@PrettyPaint OMG - LOL!  You are so right!  Several sentences in the description on the back cover describe events that didn’t even happen in the book!😂😂😂😂

@Tamara76 So strange! And thank you for confirming that some of those things didn’t actually happen in the book. It was making me question my memory! 🙂

Lol, @PrettyPaint!  I'm finishing my Carrie Fisher book and haven't yet started Murder on the Orient Express yet, but I'll find out soon enough! 🙂

@Tamara76 I didn’t care for it too much, so I honestly read it as fast as possible to get it finished. That Carrie Fisher book you are reading looks excellent, though. 

@Tamara76 I’ve heard that the classic books sometimes get hand typed by dedicated fans so that you can get them in e reader editions and they have the issues your hardcopy did. Maybe it’s that someone printed this unedited version that was hand typed fore readers???? One never knows. LOLOL!!!!

@mermadelove That actually makes a lot of sense!  I suspect this may be what happened!  Anyway, I sent pics to Amazon and they refunded me and didn't even make me return the book, so one less thing to deal with! Happy ending! ❤️

Oh it's nice to have a reading list again!  I've been in such a book rut I'm excited to tackle all the books I haven't read yet!

@kalex Nice to see you here! I was just wondering where you’d disappeared to again!!!

*waves*  😄

I don't know where the time goes!  4 kids and a job will keep a girl hopping.  I CANNOT wait until summer - no coaching, no practices or games, no PTA...

@kalex this reminds me of a cartoon from the doctor’s office. There’s a patient sitting on an exam table. Hair is a mess, bags under eyes, tongue hanging out, shoulders slumped in fatigue. In short, a hot mess. The doctor says: “ You have what is known as children!”

😂🤣😂😑

i. Love. Summer. Break!

Welcome, @kalex!  We're currently reading Murder on the Orient Express with discussions to begin on Feb. 23.  Reading and participation for any book is voluntary. 

That's in 5 days!  I better book it (pun intended) to the library this afternoon!  

RE: BIC book club!

I love this idea! I’m currently ready big little lies so that’s perfect. I probably won’t be able to read every book but would love to read what everyone has to say about all the books 🙂

I have finished Orient express. Actually since I finished Little fires very early and the holds of Great Gatsby and Pride and the prejudice became available to read so I read them before moving to the Orient express. Now until, you all catch up, I may read some other books I had on my good reads list.

I’ll pop back when discussion starts on these books. 

Happy reading you all!

AC05FD20-64E8-4E00-A408-9185074C2D8B.gif

@fatimamummy Glad to see someone else INHALES books!! I finished a new fantasy series after reading LF. Started reading Orient and couldn't get into it. I think I'll move on to Gatsby and PRide and PRejudice and catch up with you! ❤️

@mermadelove I also had a hard time building and then keeping interest in Orient express. I know it’s a classic but for me it is full of  a bit too far fetched coincidences, but I finished it anyways . Lol

7 Replies
testing