Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

Ok ladies, I finished the book last night. It was truly a great read. Very well written and the author had a strong grip on story throughout.

Just tag me when you all are done and ready to discuss 🙂

RE: BIC book club!

I am wanting to join but am kind of late to the club can I still join? I can’t figure out what everyone is reading or where to start what therules are etc . I am happy to join just don’t really know where to start I have a kindle and can read a book in under six hours if need be so I could possibly perhaps catch up to everyone if I binge read some of the titles I may be behind on Is there a link to a book list someone could please send me ? If I can join? I have a an reader (kindle paperwhite)and overdrive acct linked to the library as well as a physical bookstore (Barnes & Noble bookstore near me as well as a physical library within walking distance to me so I can read each title as we go please let mejoin ? Eagerly waiting to join here any help would be appreciated thanks

Re: RE: BIC book club!

@WhereYouStand  I finished the book and totally have a hangover now. I'm gonna miss them all!!!!!

@WhereYouStand-   You can certainly join!  We are now reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I'm going to update the OP with the full booklist now.

Hi, @WhereYouStand!  Welcome!  The list of books is on page 14 of this thread.  We are reading the first '#1, Little Fires Everywhere, first followed by the second '#1, Murder on the Orient Express.  @prettyinpa suggested 3 weeks for Little Fires.  I will take a leap and say this is week 1, so you have this week plus 2 more.  If @prettyinpa or anyone else disagrees with the unofficial start date that I give, feel free to correct.

That's right, @Titian06- I hope to start discussion around the 4th of February if that's ok by everyone?

@prettyinpa Works for me! 🙂

@prettyinpa - Fine with me!

Thanks for putting the book list at the top.  This will be so helpful!  🙂

@prettyinpa That's fine by me!!!

I'm about halfway through "little Fires' and I love it.  I told the hugsband that it was lovely to read a great book that wasn't sci fi, or fantasy, or science, or historical romance, or steam punk. LOLOLOL

I'm not to far into it but I'm liking it so far. It is a...

I'm not to far into it but I'm liking it so far. It is a very easy read in my opinion.

Re: I'm not to far into it but I'm liking it so far. It is a...

I think it's really well written. It's keeping me up WAY past my bedtime!!!

@mermadelove - I'm glad to hear this!  I'm going to start reading tomorrow since I have the day off work.

@mermadelove I’m really enjoying it too! My husband is actually reading along with me, since we can “share” books on our Kindles.

@skcfan That;s awesome!!! I have shared books with the hugsband before, but few and far between. We tend to share the non fiction, and I read WAAAAAAY more than he does!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying it @mermadelove! I just wrapped up this AM, and can't wait until we start talking about it.  I didn't really go in with any expectations, but it was a good read.  Really excited for the discussion to begin 🤓📚

Just found this thread. I'd love to join in on the book c...

Just found this thread. I'd love to join in on the book club. What's everyone reading?

Re: Just found this thread. I'd love to join in on the book c...

Hi, @BrideSona!  The list is on page 14 of this thread.  We're starting with the first '#1 and then we'll read the second '#1.  @prettyinpa suggested 3 weeks for reading the first book (Little Fires Everywhere).  Welcome!

Re: Just found this thread. I'd love to join in on the book c...

Thanks, @Titian06 for answering Bridesona's question. My notifications aren't working again so I have no idea when people are asking questions here, grr.

Hi, all!  I'm so irritated with myself!  If I'm looking for something that I  can't find, I usually check Amazon.  Never thought to do that this time, and I've bought plenty of books from them.  If you're looking for either of the first two books, they're less expensive on Amazon with free shipping if you meet the $25 US minimum.

Even better, for those of us who don't have a Kindle, you can download the app free and then purchase/download the books at the Kindle price.  I downloaded the app and then searched for a free book to download from the Kindle store via Amazon; Pride and Prejudice is free using this app.  The app worked fine on my Samsung tablet--just more for you to think about.  I'm sorry I completely overlooked this obvious option!  I feel so stupid and embarrassed, especially knowing how much money I could have saved.  Some of you could have saved that too!

Great advice, @Titian06!   I have a motto embroidered on one of my sofa cushions, "Better late than never" Works for me.

7 Replies
testing