Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

I hadn’t heard of it before but it is a very popular book. Fingers crossed people will read fast when they get it.

@Serenely - I ended up buying the book at Barnes & Nobles.  It's only available in hardback because it's still "new."  It costs $27 US and $36 CAN.  I was not expecting to shell out for a hardback!

I also bought Murder on the Orient Express.  I really thought I had this book!  I found all my other Agatha Christie books, including Death on the Nile (which I bought in 1978 after seeing the movie).  So I'm good to go with that book.  If you (or anyone else) buy this book and like me find several different covers and sizes of books, look at the price.  Each version was a different price apparently based on the size of the book and if it was published before or after the movie (I guess a movie was released last year).  The version I bought is what I would call a typical paperback size.  It was smaller than the others, but had the bigger font size and cost the least at $7.99 US and $9.99 CAN.

B&N also had a table with classic titles (paperback) on sale for $5 each.  The only title on our list that was also on the table was Alice in Wonderland.  The good news(?) is it also contained Alice Through the Looking Glass.  You got both stories for $5.

I was curious about Pride & Prejudice and it is also in the classics line (paperback) and is $6.95 (I forgot to look at the CAN price, I'm sorry!).  However, as I was perusing the bargain books, I found a hardback book with four Jane Austin novels, including Pride & Prejudice, for $7ish.  I don't remember the other three novels, but they're well known, not some obscure writings.  This would be an excellent purchase if you want to read additional Jane Austin.

I don't have my list handy, but the Girl With the Tattoo (I know that's not quite right) was in hardback and cost $17.99 US.

The Great Gatsby still has the same cover as the version I read way back in 1980 or 1981!  The size of the book is bigger, not the standard paperback size.  I didn't look at the price since I already have it (with annotations from whatever high school class I read it in!).

I thought I would share some of my book shopping findings with everyone.  Hopefully someone is interested.

Ok so what is final consensus now? For me I have equally long waiting list for first two books on the list so I bought “little fires everywhere” and have read 30% already. I can catchup with you guys easily if you choose another book to start ( I’m a fast reader ) but which book is it going to be? Or I may just pick the one which become available, once I have read this one and jump into the conversation whenever I can? 

These library situations are making it a bit tricky.

Edit: Great Gatsby is actually available in my library.

@fatimamummy @Serenely - According to @prettyinpa's response to my question, we will start with "Little Fires Everywhere" and we have the next three weeks to read it.

Thank you @Titian06 and sorry for delayed response. Sometimes I don’t get the tag notification 😏

@prettyinpa - This may have already been addressed:  how is the book reading and discussion going to function?

- Will we read X number of chapters next week and then post comments over the weekend followed by X number more chapters the week after, etc.?

- Will we read the entire book over the next two weeks and then post comments over the weekend following the second week? 

Also, depending on when you want us to start reading (I know some already have) will depend on how diligent I will have to be to in finding this book in a bookstore since I won't be getting it from the library anytime soon.

Off hand, @Titian06, I'd say maybe finish in 3 weeks? That way if someone is getting it from the library they would maybe have enough time to finish? I'm at least 2 weeks away from a library copy, though I'm looking into getting a reader which could put a book in my hands a lot sooner.

If anyone wants a paper white style kindle PM me! I have one to donate!

everyone I found a taker!!! If I PM you back, you'll know it was you!!!!

For Little Fires, I'm '#83 for 22 copies through my library.

My question is, if we are moving Little Fires down the list due to the long wait times, why are we reading Alice in Wonderland in its place?   The next book on the list is Murder on the Orient Express, not Alice in Wonderland.

I'm sorry, my screwup, I meant to say Orient Express. I don't even have wine to blame on that goof either!  Thanks for catching this, @Titian06.

@prettyinpa @Titian06. I noticed this too but the funny thing is I thought everyone was as crazy about all things Alice like I am so it was just the default replacement and I just happened to miss that post! I have a hard time keeping up! 

I really love this idea, and if I can get the book from my library at the same time you all are reading it, I would love to participate (whatever book you're all on).

For those that are borrowing ebooks from their public library on their kindles: if you keep your kindle on airplane mode, you can download the books from your computer via cable as they become available from the waitlist. Since your kindle isn't connected to the internet, it doesn't really know how long the book has been "checked out" so you can read a book even after you've returned it. Just make sure you stay in airplane mode, or you'll lose access to all your borrowed books that have expired.

Annnnd, the winner(s) are: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie in a tie. I propose that we read the Little Fires first and Orient Express second if that's ok. I'm so excited to get started!

@prettyinpa I'm really excited about Little Fires!  I've been interested ever since I saw you reading it!!!

By popular request, here's the list. skcfan compiled the first 29 entries, many were ties, so we can choose order there. If it looks too difficult to get Little Fires in a timely fashion, would you like to read (ETA: Murder on the Orient Express) first?

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10)
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10)
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9)
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9)
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9)
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9)
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

@prettyinpa I'm okay with anything as long as I know which book has been definitively chosen. I missed this post yesterday so I didn't even realize the votes had been counted. 

It looks like a lot of people here will get Little Fires or have already gotten it, so let's stick to the original plan.

Thank you @prettyinpa ! That is going to be very helpful. I received my copy of “Little fires everywhere” so let’s get the reading begin.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: BIC book club!

Awesome! I'm excited to get started on these two!

testing