Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

I'm in @prettyinpa! I am just tucking into bed about to start 'A Gentlemen in Moscow' by Amor Towels, I've heard its great. I'd personally prefer to be able to source the books from my local library as shipping books each time could add up. 

I'm in! As soon as @ZombieMetroAnt suggested it I was in LOL 😄 

I love hardcover books so I'll be doing this for myself and my collection. If anyone else is interested in writing notes in the book then swapping afterwards as a memento just let me know 😉 I love doing that! 

I'm already a part of another book club so I will selfishly be nominating books I'm already reading 😛 

YAY @Mcakes Heart  

@prettyinpa I'm interested in a book club!  I'd participate as long as I could get the book from my library, as I gave away my Kindle.  I'm up for reading any sort of book...

I recently saw that Sarah Addison Allen wrote a sequel to "Garden Spells."  Has anyone read any of her books?  "Garden Spells" was her first, and my favorite.

It might also be fun to read beauty books.  I purchased Bobbi Brown's "Everything Eyes" recently but only read about 20% of it or so.

Here are some of my five-star favorites from my Good Reads list if anyone is interested (no particular order/genre):

The Kitchen God's Wife: Amy Tan

Midnight Champagne: A. Manette Ansay

Lonesome Dove: Larry McMurtry

The Other Boleyn Girl; The Boleyn Inheritance (quick read): Philippa Gregory 

Princess (Jean P. Sasson)

Summer Sisters: Judy Blume

Tami Hoag: The Alibi Man; Prior Bad Acts; Dark Horse 

Wild Wild West; Asking for Trouble (erotica)

Sandra Brown: Mirror Image; Exclusive; Unspeakable; Where There's Smoke; Fat Tuesday; Charade

Blackbird House; The Red Garden (short stories): Alice Hoffman

Eye of the Needle: Ken Follet

The Stand: Stephen King

Water for Elephants: Sarah Gruen

The Pillars of the Earth: Ken Follet

Night Over Water: Ken Follet

A Prisoner of Birth: Jeffrey Archer

The Chocolate War (YA, but fun!): Robert Cormier

Peyton Place: Grace Metalious 

When Bad Things Happen to Good People: Rabbi Kushner

Dangerous Fortune: Ken Follet

The Good Earth: Pearl S. Buck

The Last Picture Show: Larry McMurtry 

Gone with the Wind: Margaret Mitchell

The Good Earth was one of my favorite books in high school!!

@greeneyedgirl107  I love Amy Tan!! Also, I read Gone With the Wind. Twice. See above whee I will read good things REPEATEDLY. I;ve read Harry Potter series 8 times. Or was it 13? I'm not sure. 

@mermadelove Amy Tan is great!  I also read The Valley of Amazement, The Bonesetter's Daughter, The Hundred Secret Senses and of course The Joy Luck Club.  I think I want to read "The Opposite of Fate" soon - I'm kicking myself for not buying it at the library donation center!  

Have you read any Lisa See?  I recommend her as well.

And GWTW!  I've read it three times, which is a record for me.  I do like HP as well!  🙂

@greeneyedgirl107  I've read JOy Luck and Kitchen God. I haven't read any of the others. Looks like a great list!!

Oooh, lots of variety there @greeneyedgirl107! Hmmm, maybe we should all suggest a book via PM and then have one selected from our list in a random fashion for each round. If multiple people suggest the same books it’s no big deal, we can recommend other books once the first round of suggestions is exhausted. Shoot, this could go on for as long as we all stick around, and new people could join in at any time, and could see what’s been read and the discussions that followed.

@LCResz However you all want to do it is fine by me!

@greeneyedgirl107 Summer sisters by Judy bloom is one of my favorite books!! It would be awesome to discuss with everyone 

@Kim888 She is good!  I wish she wrote more adult books.  I did read "Forever" a while back - YA but still good!

I would love to join as well. I used to read constantly, but I've only been reading assigned books for school for the past few years. Most of them were horror and were fairly good, but I'd love to get back into reading different genres. I'm also more down for picking one book at a time and we all read it on our own. My local and my uni libraries lend out ebooks and books so it would be more practical 🙂

I'm heading for bed, so any new members, I'll add you tomorrow. If you figure out any ways to choose books, please post so we can move forward. I only thought this through as far as collecting members, I often get ahead of myself.

This is kismet! I was literally just thinking about a BIC...

This is kismet! I was literally just thinking about a BIC book club early today. I'm trying to read more in 2018. I'm a very slow reader but I'd love to join in the fun when I can.

I would love to join as well! 

Me! I want book friends! 🙋

I love to read! I would be so happy to participate 😍😊 I’m down for pretty much whatever, anything from Edgar Allan Poe to Leane Moriarty. Has anyone else read Like A Queen by Constance Hall (or follow her on Facebook?)?! 👸🏻 

I’d like to join too! I do a reading challenge every year and this year fell short of my goal of 50 😞 this will keep me motivated!

I prefer to read on my eReader and borrow eBooks from the library so thank you for not making mailing a requirement!

Image result for funny book reading memes

@prettyinpa I am SO in Smiley Wink you know I'm old school so I am one those gals that needs a hardcover.  I'll read anything that isn't horror (but really, I prefer history).  Heart 

That's one of my favorites from The Awkward Yeti! @ZombieMetroAnt

testing