Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Anonymous Insider

RE: BIC book club!

Re: RE: BIC book club!

@Anonymous Ah I see. Canada! I wanna visit sometime, seems so cool and ahead of its time with healthcare and so accepting of immigrants. I would live there if it wasnt soo cold!! I love a Canadian Spoken Word Poet , Shane Koyzack. He’s amazing! 

@Anonymous If you mean Quebec, that's where I live too!  🙂 You can probably find French translations of most books, so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue if you want to read in French. 

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: RE: BIC book club!

RE: BIC book club!

This sounds really fun! I’d love to participate as well! And I’m up for mailing them or reading our own whatever works for everyone!

i would love if we read outlander I want people to obsess with haha 

I've been wanting to read the Outlander series, @Kim888! It's exactly my type of book. 

@lmi82 You definitely should! The series is so enthralling I got totally sucked in haha plus it was my first “adult” book series after mostly sticking to like Harry Potter and the hunger games type series 

Re: BIC book club!

Ok, good points all. We can amend it to we read the books on our own, and obtain them however we like, eBooks, libraries or buy the book. The idea of sending a book around is charming but maybe not practical with our busy lives and the expense. (I'd rather save the postage money for something like an gift exchange, lol).

I love paper books but lately I’m pretty much reading eBooks only because I mostly read late night when I can’t sleep but don’t want to disturb hubby’s sleep either 😀

Maybe we can do it that one person suggests a book and we all read it simultaneously and then have a discussion when everyone has finished it?

@fatimamummy @prettyinpa   I also have a kindle and an ipad so ebooks are more than fine with me. Good point re spending shipping $$$ on other things!! Speaking of e readers, someone mentioned they no longer have a kindle and I have one to give away.Whomever it was please PM me if you are interested!!!!!

That is so very nice of you to give away your extra kindle @mermadelov You are sure going to brighten up someone’s day 🙂

I’m in! While I’m not a fan of digital books (LOVE the smell of an old and well-loved tome!), would using e-versions of books be easier for some?

If you’re an Amazon or a Barnes and Noble ebook user, I think you can let others “borrow” your copy for a set period of time too. 

I would love to be part of a book club if we’re just reading our own copies and not mailing anything. I can’t afford Canada post’s rates!

I know @Beadshopgirl , CP is so darn expensive that mailing out copies won’t be feasible for many of us including myself.

@Beadshopgirl- I think that could work too. I was worried about mailing to Canada and CP rates, it would be really unfair to you ladies up north. So I'll add you in!

@prettyinpa So I could still participate without the physical mailing part? 

Yep, you're in, @Beadshopgirl. I'd like our group to be as inclusive as possible and the expense of mailing shouldn't keep anyone out.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to reading and discussing! @prettyinpa It was going to be my new year’s resolution to read more books and watch less Netflix anyway; this will definitely help!

True... it may get a bit pricy to keep sending books around. Ebooks are an option too!

Oh poop, did this Canadian ruin it? I can opt out?

Oh poop, did this Canadian ruin it? I can opt out?
2 Replies
testing