Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

6 Things You're Good At

Part of my night time ritual is reading various lifestyle blogs before bed. A recent ‘tag’ within the blogging community has been ‘6 things that you’re good at’ which I thought was a most appropriate pick-me-up; especially for discouraging/frustrating days. Below is my list, what are YOU great at? It doesn’t have to be makeup or beauty related either.

1. I’m great at MacGyver-ing and being crafty. This weekend I transformed some old candles into containers for cotton swabs and eyeliners. I’m planning on adding a decorative ceramic figurine to the top of the jars for a more charming touch. My next project is to find some cute nightstands to completely revamp. I want to paint (I was thinking a bright seafoam) and add some cute shabby chic knobs to them.

2. I’m great at finding things online! Rather it’s finding an apartment or researching a particular piece from one of my favorite designers I can usually do a fantastic job of narrowing down what I need.

3. I’m great at planning things. From trips to parties, I really enjoy the entire process of getting things together for a special event.

4. I’m great at recognizing dog and horse breeds! When I was younger I was fairly certain that I wanted to be professional dog and Arabian horse breeder. Every chance I got when I was younger I would research and learn all about dogs and horses. It’s kind of funny, but show me a dog or a horse and I can usually tell you what breed it is; this is especially handy for when my friends want to know what their mutt might be.

5. I’m great at maintaining a healthy lifestyle! Over the last two years I’ve really been making an effort to eat and live healthy. I aim to work out 5 times a week, no longer use ‘toxic’ household cleaners, and avoid processed foods. In doing this I’ve been able to dramatically improve my overall way of living. I aimed to avoid toxic chemicals not just for my health (a lot of products can trigger my asthma), but for the health of my pets too.

6. I’m great at being a good friend. I really value the people I love in my life. I always make myself available for advice, hangouts, etc. I will give the shirt off a friend’s back if they need it.

Whimsically yours,
Janine

Re: 6 Things You're Good At

1. Being optimistic/cheerful. My coworkers always say that I'm good at keeping others in a good mood, and finding an optimistic or funny way to look at thing. I also have excessive amounts of energy, which tends to help Smiley Happy

2. Staying calm when blood and *** hit the ceiling. (sometimes literally Smiley Very Happy )

3. Empathy. Like some of the others have said, sometime I think I have a giant flashing sign on my head that says "tell me all about your problems!!" I listen well and avoid giving advice. Sometimes all someone needs is to talk.

4. Baking! I can make some mean sugary stuff Smiley Happy

5. Martial arts... been taking a few types since I was 12, love it to death! Keeps me in great shape, and makes me feel confident I can defend myself should I ever need. I teach a lot, and it gives me a lot of pride to see my 'kids' progress and get new belts!

6. Self-entertaining. I can be home alone for an entire week and not be bored or lonely. When I work too many days in a row, I feel the need to hole myself up and "de-socialize!"

1)Keeping secrets and being a good listener.  Listening more than you talk is a big key to helping someone.

2)Dying hair... I've been doing it since I was 12 and I've never looked back!

3)Being a great cat-mommy...  I love being around my cat and giving him the love he didn't have for years.

4)Being alone.  Sometimes the best thing in the world is to spend time working on you with no distractions.  When people lean on you a lot, you tend to get weighed down by their problems and you forget to take care of yourself.  Self love is key.

5)Being unique... I have my own punky style that many might see as weird and put off by but I can only be me and if someone doesn't like it, they can move on.

6)Staying motivated.  I always have to see things through to the bitter end.  Everything is more interesting that way!

What are cheese curds?

Cottage cheese

Cheese curds are not cottage cheese!  They are little chunks of cheese that squeak against your teeth when fresh.  They are delicious little pieces of heaven - especially when breaded and deep fried!

I've never had them on fries and smothered with gravy like in the pic, but I'd dive in face first given the opportunity.

Hmm, that's how it's marketed here, may not squeak, but I still think it's pretty tasty!

Considering that cottage cheese is sold in containers of "large curd" or "small curd" I can see how someone who isn't familiar with    cheese curds could get them confused!

I warned you, you are going to get far more detail than you thought possible. I refrained from adding pictures though, I do have a bit of restraint! Never mind, YOU ARE GOING TO LEARN THIS.

Ahem.

Cheese curds are what you get in the first step of making cheese. You add a couple of things to milk to help turn the lactose in the milk into lactic acid and it starts to get thicker and thicker, eventually kind of firm sour cream textured.

At his point the way you treat the milk depends on the type of cheese you are making, for a soft cheese you want to keep lots of moisture present and for a hard cheese you want to get lots of the moisture out. Cheesemaking is kind of an icky looking process sometimes, so picture a large tub/vat of firm sour cream, if you leave your sour cream container on its side, when you come back later you'll have some liquid which has separated out a bit, right? You want to have the same thing happen with your cheese, but to a greater extent. Grab a giant version of one of those avocado cutter things 

and run it through your cheese, it's kind of like cutting jello, the cuts stay there but mostly everything keeps the same shape until you disturb it. The more little pieces it gets cut into, the more liquid (whey) can get out.

Here is someone improvising with a plastic container and a knife.

For eating on poutine or deep frying you want about the size of dice, plus or minus a bit, maybe as big as your pinky finger. 

That's about all there is to that type of cheese curd, some people dye them orange (cheddar that is orange always has annatto (or something else) added for that, white cheddar is the way it turns out naturally.) oh, and salt should be added too, pretend I said that earlier. They're a mild tasting cheese and they are famous for squeaking against your teeth (the fresher, the more squeaky!)

All cheese starts out as curd (the little bits in cottage cheese are a curd too) but starting with just milk, salt, rennet, and a starter culture (these two things are what control the milk turning to curd quickly and properly) you can make hundreds and hundreds of different cheeses just by altering the way you treat the same 4 ingredients!

Lol, if this didn't convince you of my absurd cheese obsession, I grabbed this last picture from bbc's website by doing an image search for "cheese" There isn't any caption there about what these are but I am 100% certain I know what each of them are and could give you the name and address of the cheesemaker as well as an interesting story about each producer's recipe/cows/cheesemaking process. 

Some people can do things like this with pictures of cars, cosmetics, jewelry, or clothes but for me it is cheese, hahaha.

I feel the urge to start a "favorite cheese" thread...

DO IT Smiley Very Happy

Dammit, it's 10am for god sake and now you are making me craving cheese!

Haha, I made ricotta(ish)/soft cheese from milk, vinegar and salt. I want to try other kinds but not sure about how to get rennet or starter culture without it getting too messy and me getting too paranoid about bacteria. I guess I'll just console myself by grabbing a tub of mozerella cheese on the way home....=P

Highlighted

You can buy rennet in tablets that are bubble packed like pills, no chance of anything happening to them really. Apparently some supermarkets carry it near either the ice cream toppings or jello/puddings, looks like a common brand in US is Junket? I have never seen this one before, it looks like it is not intended for cheesemaking but can be used, you just need to make sure you're using instructions that account for it. You can also get a million different things online, but rennet tablets are a pretty worry-free way to go. Smiley Happy 

Mozzarella is super fun to make and SO good when fresh. I have seen people invite a few friends over for a cheesemaking party and have a great time drinking wine and making mozzarella. The problem then can be having to make a second batch immediately after the first one because it gets eaten so fast! 

1.  Being fabulous!

2. Cooking

3. Breaking and fixing computers

4. Compiling data interpretations

5.  Dissecting food

6.  Hibernating

@rikkie- To me your a diamond in the rough and are one of those special people that should know what a great person you really are.

You are amazing, that may be the nicest thing anyone has said to me. <3 

confession

Spoiler
There are still a lot of days I wish that trying to kill myself had gone just a bit more successfully, haha. Maybe it should go on my "things I'm bad at" list. Spent a good few days in a coma though.

Eww should have that left that question to my imagination.

You have been seriously deprived if you had to ask that question!  Plan a trip to Wisconsin right now!

And they are not cottage cheese!  Smiley Happy

Been there!  My brother-in-law worked at a cheese packaging plant.  My husband and I came home with over 30 lbs of cheese for us and fulfilling orders for the rest of the family.  That's where I first had cheese curds.  Amazingly delicious!

I live in the South so have no idea what they were they sound pretty good as long as there not cottage cheese.Smiley Happy

Oh I love this!!!  Great post!!!!  Now if I could only narrow it down to 6 Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

1. Being a mom -- I really and truly feel, for all my faults, this is the one thing I really know I'm doing right.  

2.  Discipline -- I can set my mind to doing something and really stick to it.  It comes from being scatter brained and getting lazy to the point that if I really need to complete something, I need a plan, I need motivation, I need goals, I need a real commitment, but that has taught me discipline and that has helped me out in every day situations and also helped me reach goals that seemed impossible.

3.  Grocery shopping -- being on a tight budget for most of my adult life has taught me how to get the most for my money.  On the occasion that we have so e extra grocery money, I always try new recipes and buy foods for clean eating.  It's an art Smiley Wink

4.  Adventurous -- I know the things I absolutely won't do, but outside of those things I am open, and usually eager, to try anything!!!

5. Compassion -- I am very compassionate, I just love people in general.  Those who are struggling or facing a challenges really have my heart.  You know that "tell me your problems" sign y'all talked about??  My sign is " if you have problems or no friends, befriend me."  Haha, on an individual basis I like it but sometimes it wears me out!!!

6.  Fitness -- I love to work out!!  After 11 years of dance, 5 years of cheer leading, 4 years of basketball, 3 of tennis, 2 of cross country, and 5 of gymnastics I seem to have pretty good knowledge of how my body works and how to keep it in motion.  Sometimes I am able to help others with their fitness goals and it really brings me joy!!!

1. Shopping, I have absolutely no problem shopping whether it is for me or for someone else.

2. I'm good at being creative, at least I think I am. I love decorating and coming up plans for my projects.

3. I'm good with sports. I love watching it and playing it. I love playing volleyball and other sports like baseball, football, and basketball.

4. LIstening and giving out advices. I love to be there for someone whenever they need to be listened.

5. Doing my nails. I love doing special designs on them on special occasion.  

Great thread, Janine!

1. Baking! Every time a party or birthday comes around for my kids, I'm all over it with the baked goodness. A few of my fav loves are Oreo stuffed cookie brownies, or as I call them "Diabeties in a bar" & my popcorn creations, strawberry birthday cake & furikake carmel corn, and lastly pink lemonade cupcakes! My kids & all their friends always leave sugared up! Whippin up something delish in the kitchen is one of my favorite things to do Smiley Happy Its certainly not the healthiest, but I'm working on that Smiley Wink
2. Planning - I like to think things through & have a game plan for almost everything. I'm a stickler for schedules & being on time... to the point that I would get super annoyed if we were off. The funny thing is, my significant other is NEVER on time, so we balance each other out now. I still plan like crazy, but I know that things happen & I cant control everything
3. Being an advocate - Know what you're saying & say what you know. I learned early on that the best way to protect yourself or a cause you believe in, is to become an expert. I became my daughters advocate with her medical needs & can say that I've surprised her doctors on numerous occasions with my knowledge base Smiley Happy
4. Being passionate - Whether its work, friends, my kids or my interests, when I care about something, my whole heart goes into it!
5. Staying active - Yoga, hiking, skateboarding with my kids, swimming, jogging, playing at the park... I do it all. Lead by example & they will follow. I not only do it for my own health, but to show my girls the importance of staying healthy
6. Reading - I love a good book & can finish off most within 3 days... usually a day & a half if its really good. Yakuza Moon was my latest read & I finished that in about 5 hours. Literally from 11pm til almost 4, I couldnt put it down!

Keep all your responses coming, its great to learn more about everyone!!

xo, Mia

Furikake caramel corn sounds fascinating! Would you share a recipe? 

Just reading those words brings back really strong memories of being at Tokyo Disneyland and eating onigiri we packed for lunch. I was blown away at the popularity of popcorn as THE food to get while at Disneyland, everyone had these 

collectible popcorn buckets to wear around their necks and the lines for the popcorn stands were so long! 

1. dancing

2. cooking/baking vegan food

3. gardening

4. organizing

5. being a good friend (keeping in touch, reaching out, etc).

Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • swfupload_6795621505548264733.jpg
  • swfupload_1590613151380085753.jpg
  • swfupload_573902824167342985.jpg
  • swfupload_5515767601470723805.jpg
  • swfupload_9109474388420161236.jpg
  • cheese.png
  • swfupload_1873738226239323358.jpg