cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|
Anonymous Insider

5 Shows/Movies/Plays You Obsess Over!

With many of us talking about some of my favorite shows, The Walking Dead and Once Upon a Time, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Put up your lists everyone!

1.  The Walking Dead

2.  Once Upon a Time

3.  So You Think You Can Dance

4.  Sherlock

5.  Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth)

Re: 5 Shows/Movies/Plays You Obsess Over!

In general, I am a big fan of movies and TV series since childhood. I love all genres of movies: drama and horror and comedy - everything. I also love movies from other countries, especially Spain and Korea (luckily I found a way to connect VPN on and now I can watch all these movies for sure). Here is a list of my recently seen movies and TV series that I really liked:

- Elite

- Through my window

- Never have I ever

- Lucifer

- Shinui

Here is my top list:

- Squid Game

- Maid

- How to get away with the murder

- Suits

- The blacklist

- A million little things

- This is us

Couldn't make it just 5 🙂

I don't know how I missed this thread. What great lists here, thanks for sharing!

Here is my top list (old and new):

The Big Bang Theory

Friends

Sherlock

Squid Game

Outlander

Call Me Kat

Younger

Young Sheldon

True Detective

@AlexBess @Love Outlander! Im excited we have a date for the next season! 

Forrest Gump

Green Mile

Green book

Captain Fantastic

Gifted

I have few more but will leave it for the next thread 🙂

🙂

🙂

OK, recent tv series:

1. Scandal

2. The Blacklist

3. Nashville

4. Orange is the New Black

5. Revolution

honorable mention: Sleepy Hollow

Collections old and new:

1. Downton Abbey

2. Game of Thrones

3. Alias--forever!!!

4. Star Trek Deep Space 9

5. TrueBlood

Anonymous Insider

Omg.  "The Visitor" is my absolutely favorite episode of DS9.  Even those who aren't fans of the show or never even heard of it, should watch.  It's pulling at my heart right now!

Also, has anybody been listening to the Serial podcast? It's absolutely phenomenal and fascinating. And frustrating. If you're into podcasts, I can't recommend it enough.

YES.  All the yes!  I've been saving the last 2 podcasts for today.  It's so hard to talk about because I don't want to spoil anything for people that haven't heard them but it's soooo good.  

Etscore1, did you see the producer of Serial, Sarah Koenig was recently on the Colbert Report? Starts at 15:00 in this video:

Anonymous Insider

I think I tried listening to a couple of podcasts, but just couldn't stand the format.  😞

Really? Wow... I think that's one of the biggest strengths - that being the storytelling aspect of it. It's just so interesting to listen to the development of everything while keeping in mind that it's nonfiction and the backdrop is an ineffective justice system.

Anonymous Insider

I in general don't like to be read to. I like information or entertainment podcasts like the one with Adam from Mythbusters, What they didn't teach you in History Class, Freakonomics, Radiolab, or The Disney Story Origins.

Anonymous Insider

Oops, I meant podcasts in general, not Serial.  

Aaah, well I have never been a huge podcaster, but this one is absolutely fascinating. If you are at all interested in nonfiction "stories," I can't recommend it enough. Basically, for those who don't know, a journalist approached the woman who records these podcasts (Sarah Koenig, who also happens to be a producer of This American Life on NPR) with this court case because she thought it was incredibly interesting.

The gist of the story for anyone interested: 

In 1999 an 18 year old girl went missing in Baltimore, and eventually was found strangled to death and dumped in a park. With the assistance of essentially one person, who admitted to being an accomplice, the police convicted the girl's ex-boyfriend and a jury found him guilty of first degree murder, sentencing him to life in prison. Seems fairly normal until you start looking at the details and the way the case was handled. The timeline the accomplice provides has an absolutely ridiculous amount of holes and inconsistencies, all of which are all but overlooked because if her ex-boyfriend didn't do it, who did? Nobody could answer that question and now this guy has been in jail for 15 years and counting. And the real kicker, despite being almost done with the podcast, we still don't actually know who killed this girl.

I really is a fascinating podcast (the last of the 13 episodes is next Thursday) and I can't recommend it enough if anyone happens to be a fan of NPR and the like.

Anonymous Insider

I love the true crime shows, books, and movies.  Thank you for the summary of the podcast.  I am not familiar with that case at all.

If you like that kind of stuff, you'll love Serial. I'm not sure I know of anyone whose started it that didn't get sucked in immediately.

The case itself is really interesting, but the way in which it's presented is really what makes the whole podcast special. You really feel like you're learning right along with the narrator who's opinions are changing and evolving with each episode as we learn more and more information. Then factor in the idea that you don't know who's telling the truth and who's lying - because there are definitely lies. 

Blah, I could go on forever. I'll stop now.

Anonymous Insider

I enjoy delving into the investigatory process.  I've got some long drives this holiday season, so that would be an excellent opportunity to try this series out.  Thanks!

I love this movie so much. Always have since it came out, but had been craving watching it for the past year or so before I eventually caved and bought it on Amazon Video a few months ago. Now it's on Netflix if anybody is intrigued.

upload_1231770507442695901.jpg

Anonymous Insider

I know of the movie, but can't recall if I watched it.  Hubs loved chess so we probably watched it.  I might put it on this week sometime.

Photos17
  • upload_3448047091916599073.gif
  • tumblr_inline_mu2uc3Uzg81r3pbwm.gif
  • darleehart.gif
  • upload_8435767750815104243.gif
  • remote-control.jpg
  • abfab
  • upload_2093620356065850218.gif
  • upload_388233568010380838.gif
  • Brando, Marlon (A Streetcar Named Desire).jpg
  • Sherlocked - Copy.gif
  • upload_6313706593917236847.jpg