Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Your Best-Kept Beauty Secret

If you've been playing with makeup for awhile, you've probably picked up or developed tricks of your own that most people wouldn't think of. Do you have an unusual foolproof technique for applying your foundation? Do you use a particular product in an unexpected way? Have you found an unconventional hack for clearing up a blemish overnight? Here's the place to trade your little-known ideas!

Re: Your Best-Kept Beauty Secret

Also those cheap napkins that are useless at wiping your mouth, but great at blotting your T zone.

I love this; thank you to all who shared, and to @TopazBeth for starting.

I don't have a beauty tip / secret, but, I recently learned a pretty slick laundry trick. I've been using wool dryer balls for years (does a great job of reducing dryer time and softening without chemicals). I just learned I can add a couple drops of essential oil to them as well. Lavender or a calming/sleep-enhancing blend is nice for sheets, cheery or mental focus blends are nice for clothes, etc. Seems so simple, and the result is so nice!

I love wool dryer balls! And vinegar is a great natural fabric softener. I dislike the scent of vinegar but you can't smell it on things after washing.

@CC3616 I love wool dryer balls!! I use it along with free and clear dryer sheets. Because more is more and I love soft fabrics. I get bummed that I can't use any laundry products with fragrance because I am terribly allergic to them but the wool balls are a fun addition to laundry day!

I use wool dryer balls too! I never use any fabric additive (softener, dryer sheets, static spray, etc) in the dryer, but I do sometimes use lavender or cajeput or grapefruit oil on my dryer balls.

I have to try this! I love essential oils and am always looking for ways to do more with them. Thanks for posting this!

You guys have such great tips! I can't think of anything earth shattering but I'll be trying out many of these!  Thanks for sharing 🙂  Great idea Topaz! 

Image result for writing gif

I have another one: I'm not a huge fan of using fingers to apply anything besides primer and skincare, but nothing has worked better than me than my ring finger for blending in concealer!

I do use Marc Jacobs' The Conceal brush for finishing touches, but I find that my concealer always looks best when I pat it in with my fingers. No caking, creasing, and looks the most natural!

My Best Kept Beauty Secret is Beauty Talk!

Sooooooo, much info here!!!!!!  ;')

There is a saying in the military.  'You don't have to know everything'.........'You just gotta know where to find the answer!'

Beauty Talk is the ANSWER!!!!

Thanks ladies!  Awesome community.  

Not really secrets but some helpful tidbits.

1. You really don't need fancy lip scrubs or anything. A hot towel is the best and most effective method for exfoliating your lips. Simply run a portion of your towel under warm/hot water and then gently scrub your lips with it. Quick, easy, accessible, and best of all- Free!

2. Out of blotting paper? Cut up some tissue paper (the gift wrap tissue paper). It works just as well. 

3. Adding sugar to your bleach/developer mixture will help to prevent your scalp from itching/burning. 

4. If dyeing your own hair at home, apply vaseline along your hairline so the color doesn't bleed onto your skin. 

I wish I'd known the sugar tip when I was bleaching my hair!

The only one that comes to mind has to do with how I curl my lashes.

I have pretty large and wide eyes, so I curl half of my lashes first (inner to mid lash) and then curl mid to outer.  Once both 'sides' are curled, I go back in the middle with my curler and curl a third time so that the two sides mesh with each other.

Already mentioned below, but I also use sample clamshells to decant multiple foils of a product into so I can try a decent amount of product first.

And I keep the excess packet serum from sheet masks in a clean jar or clamshell to use after I've finished a sheet mask.

ETA: and a little Vaseline rubbed into the lashes after you curl them makes it look like you're wearing mascara when you're not.

Hi All and @TopazBeth,

To stop eyeliner from running on the lower lashline, I use a angled liner brush or flat eyeliner brush and place a little bit of translucent powder or a powder that matches your skin tone right underneath the eyeliner and blend it out.  For me it seems to keep the eyeliner from smearing especially during hot days! 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

The only helpful things I can think of are:

1. Vaseline on the heels/toes/wherever your shoes rub means no blisters! Vaseline has saved my poor feet. Just slather it on right before you put on your shoes.

2. Eye cream on my fine lines has helped them look better over time and helps prevent foundation from sinking into them

I second and third the vaseline trick.  i will put lots of vaseline on my feet and put fuzzy, thick socks overnight.  The morning comes and feet are way smoother and softer.

Vaseline on feet! I may need to try this, as I am very prone to sore and blistered feet from certain cute shoes I own...

I need to try both of these! What eye cream have you been using?

The fresh rose gel or the Farmacy eye dew. Foundation doesn't like sitting on top of the eye dew as much - so I mainly use that one at night

@TopazBeth

I make my own face oil that works better for my skin than anything that I've purchased (including May Linstrom's Youth Dew).

My not-so-secret recipe contains the following oils:

• Meadowfoam (long lasting base)
  • Jojoba
  • Blue Tansy
  • Sea Buckthorn
  • Heliochrysum
  • Frankincense
  • Calendula
  • Geranium
  • Carrot Seed
  • Borage Seed
  • Raspberry 
  • Rosehip 
  • Rose Absolute
  • Neroli

I wish I could say that I carefully measure, but I don't. I do make sure that the ratio of Meadowfoam and other carrier oils to essential oils is about 10 to 1-ish. 

I'm very intrigued by making your own skincare 😄 I'm sure I can find this on google but are there any oil combinations I should avoid? Like do some clash with one another? @Adriadne

I think the biggest concern with oils is getting the carrier to essential oil ratio in a safe range that doesn't irritate your skin. Essential oils can be harsh and should always be diluted with a carrier oil such as meadowfoam, jojoba, sea buckthorn, sweet almond, etc.

Meadowfoam is a particularly good carrier oil, as its very stable and will increase the shelf-life of the other oils that you use.

Also, if you tend to have allergies to plants, you probably want to try each essential oil on its own (with a known tolerated carrier oil) before mixing a ton of them together.

I can't think of any oils that shouldn't be mixed together, but my research and my "recipe" has focused on my skin's needs. My skin is normal to dry, prone to rashes, not especially prone to acne, and has some hyperpigmentation.

Conversation Stats
testing