Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Your Best-Kept Beauty Secret

If you've been playing with makeup for awhile, you've probably picked up or developed tricks of your own that most people wouldn't think of. Do you have an unusual foolproof technique for applying your foundation? Do you use a particular product in an unexpected way? Have you found an unconventional hack for clearing up a blemish overnight? Here's the place to trade your little-known ideas!

Re: Your Best-Kept Beauty Secret

Probably fairly well known and widely used: Mine is using liquid eyeliner to tight line. It visibly enlarges my eyes without making it look like I have eyeliner on! it's supposed to be a no-no to use liquid eyeliner (makes eyes water??) but it works for me. 

This makes my contacts itch just reading about it, but hey, your eyes always look great, @k617!

I have a terrible time with foundation staying on me more than a few hours, even long wearing foundation and all the primers that get great reviews by others. I finally started using the following method and it seems to hold pretty well:  

i use use a setting spray before applying foundation, then set with powder, then apply the rest of my makeup and finish with setting spray.  Setting spray alone as a final step never seems to help, nor does primer alone, but the setting spray before and after seems most effective? Btw, MUFE, UD, and MAC setting sprays all seem pretty comparable.

Otherwise, A can't live without beauty product  is NARS eyeshadow primer, which is the only thing that keeps my eyeshadow on more than a few hours.

The only other thing I do is take a selfie and I always notice more detail and often something "off" like an uneven patchy eyebrow, or crooked lip line, or eyeshadow fallout that I don't see with the naked eye.

I've heard about doing setting spray before and after! I think I've heard someone refer to it as "sandwiching"? Sounds a little funny to be, but I'll take it! I haven't tried it very often, but I really should get around to doing it more often. 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

Oh yes.. @TopazBeth

I use a mascara fan brush (MAC 205) before and after I apply mascara.. it's the only way to keep my lashes separated, no matter the mascara wand I use.

I have quite uneven brows and lips so when I use the pencil on both I like to look at myself in the mirror through another mirror (it this makes sense), so I get a flipped image of my face and spot irregularities better.

what a fun thread!! i'm sure more will come to me, but the first thing that comes to mind is my mascara routine.

i curl my lashes, apply lash primer (i like diorshow lash maximizer), apply 2 coats of mascara, and then GENTLY curl them again after they dry. it really makes my lashes look long and the curl holds all day! being gentle with the second curling is important though so you don't rip out lashes!

Anonymous Insider

@unfungirl @jemly

I do this too! Mine won't curl otherwise.

@unfungirl good one ! curling lashes after mascara is considered a big no-no, but it's the tip my mom taught me and i do it too. i've seen makeup artists do it while still advising others to "not try this at home". i always make sure my mascara has dried, and i do it very carefully. but i always get such a better result !!

@jemly I should add a "proceed with caution" disclaimer, good point! Curling gently, and making sure your mascara is dry is key to avoiding any lash loss. It really does make my lashes look soooo nice though so even if it's technically a no no, it works well for me!

@TopazBeth

I don't have hacks, and these are no secrets.  But worth sharing......

1. Oil balances oily skin

2. There is NO magic skincare product.  Skin health needs a holistic approach - makeup/cleansing habits, skincare products/routine, diet, hormonal concerns, stress. 

*I don't have makeup tricks.  My makeup routine is very basic and requires no skill, a child could do it.

@greenchilli I used to avoid oils so much because of my oily skin, but now I have 4 different ones on my vanity. So glad I learned a lot about skincare while working here and reading threads on BT. 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT

You know it!  

Even after appreciating the benefit of oils, it took me the longest time to find ones that my skin liked.  About 2 years ago I had almost given up as they all just seemed to irritate my skin or cause congestion.  I have now finally found oil formulations that work.

On a similar note, I embrace my oily skin now.  It has helped me prevent signs of premature ageing (subjective opinion of course), but I quite like the look of non-matte skin on my face.

@greenchilli I'm glad you found ones that you like! I don't have one that is my ride or die yet, but I do have some that I do like. (: 

I've heard that oily skin will lead to less wrinkles, soo I think I'll take that! I'm glad the dewy natural look is more in. I'm slowly learning to embrace it!

XOXO,
Marieke

One of my best kept secrets is using a lash primer before mascara! It really works wonders for volume and length!

My two favorites are Lancome Cils Booster XL, and Diorshow Maximizer 3D. Sometimes I use the Dior one as a lash treatment in the evening. My lashes are longer since trying this tip out!

i also love the dior lash primer @angel7594!

I have super short Asian eyelashes and I use either one of these everyday the same way. I like the Dior one more but they are both excellent products;) @angel7594

Mine aren't super exciting, but...

• While there are so many suggestions out there for making you look more awake via makeup, nothing works better for me than basic redness-reducing eye drops. I swear by them and make sure to always have a bottle on hand!
  • I use setting powder religiously, but instead of using a powder puff and/or applying it to my whole face, I just take a small fluffy brush (ABH #23, I think?) and lightly tap the powder into my t-zone, where my pores are largest and where I tend to get shiny. Works like a charm for blurring and mattifying without getting cakey!

Most of what I do is pretty conventional. One thing I used to do, that I've never really seen discussed, is using UD's Ozone on my face to fill in any wrinkles. 

I also like to use Becca's liquid Shimmering Skin Perfector on my body (shoulders and such) in the summer to add a little glow.

Oohhh, I was just thinking I should toss my Ozone since I never use it. I'll have to give this a whirl first. Thanks, @Asche.

The pencil?? That's so smart! I may have to try that!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing