Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

Many years ago the hot tip on Makeup Alley was that Monistat Anti-chafing Gel was the perfect dupe for the Smashbox Photo Finish primer and a tube only costs around $8. I still buy and use fancy primers now and then but I've been using that dupe for probably ten years. I love it. A tube will honestly last me for about a year. I don't know if people are too shy to say they use it or it's just gone out of fashion (plus the exponential rise in primers over the past decade means less people would be using the same thing) but it's one of the few constants in my makeup life. 

I also use wax to set my eyebrows instead of a brow gel, which is something I don't hear or see too many people doing much of anymore. A zillion years ago I used to buy a little brow wax tube from Aveda but they discontinued that ages ago. Paying $27 for one from Givenchy is literally the most shameful purchase of my life but, hey, little luxuries. I did pick up the $5 Sephora brow wax pencil during the sale but haven't tried it out yet. To be honest, I've grown very fond of that silly $27 wax pencil and kind of want to buy it again. 

That was my go-to "primer" for a long time, too!

Great thread idea! Here are my un-sung heroes. 

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

1. Lush Enchanted Eye Cream. Best eye cream I've used. Super lightweight and is a great bang for your buck. I've even started using it as an all over face moisturizer. 
  2. MACADAMIA PROFESSIONAL Nourishing Moisture Oil Treatment. Pricey but really does nourish hair. 
  3. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Daily Face Cream. Great face moisturizer that doesn't leave you feeling greasy. Nice price point too. However I won't continue to purchase due to FAB losing it's cruelty free status.
  4. Philosophy Purity Made Simple Mineral Oil-Free Facial Cleansing Oil. Hands down the best makeup remover. Instantly dissolves waterproof mascara. So hygienic as well and lasts a long time. 
  5. Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum. Such a great deal for a high-quality serum. 
  6. Elf Eyebrow Kit. - Only $3 and still some of the best eyebrow product I've ever used. The wax is especially amazing.
  7. Too Faced All Over Shadow Brush - Quite possibly my favorite brush ever for applying eyeshadow. 

Not pictured but my HG nail polish top coat is NYC Grand Central Station. Dries in less than a minute and provides impeccable shine.

hn

That E.L.F. eyebrow kit was the first brow product I ever used! It really is so nice and underrated!

Will be trying out the nail polish top coat and eyeshadow brush soon 😉 Thanks @m26430 !

Another one came to mind while doing my makeup today. The Milani Brow Shaping Gel. It's only $5 and works just as well as some $30 brow gels I've tried!

I might think of more, but off the top of my head:

• Mally 24/7 Brow Express in Taupe. This has since been discontinued but it was a dual ended product with a pencil on one end and a powder on the other end. I only used the pencil and I think my love had to do with it being the perfect color match for me. Every time I looked in the mirror and thought, "my brows look great today," I was wearing it.  The last one I purchased from Ulta was dried out brand new and it had been OOS online for awhile so I emailed Mally's customer service to see if it was being brought back and didn't get a response. I don't want to call myself petty, but I've sworn off all of the line because of this. Though I may purchase one on eBay to color match to a new product.
  • Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser: This one was already mentioned and I couldn't agree more. These days foaming is a four letter word, but it's gentle, effective, and reliable.  I haven't found a replacement I like better.
  • Hourglass Hyaluronic Skin Tint: Another already mentioned. I had only heard bad things about this being thick and unnatural looking but I got a sample in my Choix box and fell in love. It makes my skin looks so smooth and perfect!

I'm glad you love the Hourglass Skin Tint too! I never saw it get any hate (I never see anything about it at all), but that's a shame...it's such a wonderful foundation.

Great thread @jemly !

My most purchased product that I just keep going back to again and again is Boscia thermal black Cleanser. It is the best morning Cleanser I have ever tried. Every now and then I itch to try something new but after trying a few Cleanser I always come back to this one.

Another one is unfortunately a discontinued product that is Bite beauty's BB for lips . These were my favourite Bite lippies and I really wish they bring them back.

Hourglass Arch brow is my favourite brow pencil in the world. It is all you can expect from a brow product and more. Not only the brow product is excellent but the packaging is best. I have a bunch of broken brow pencils from other brands where the plastic has broken due to whatever reason and the pencil and spoolie are separate now.

There are many more so I'll keep posting as they come to my mind.

Here is my main unsung hero. It just suits my complexion and eye colour so well (pale, hazel eyes, dark hair). I will definitely be re-purchasing when I hit pan!

boudoir.jpg

I bought this during the sale last month. Love it!

Yes! This is a great palette! 

I love this one too! I used it so much that my favourite shade (lap dance) is completely gone. 😛

I feel like Too Faced's classic palettes have really been forgotten with the Chocolate Bar and Peach crazes! I used to use the Natural Eyes one all the time.

@malday right ?! it's beautiful, concise. this shows what the brand used to be about too.

I have a few items I'd consider unsung heroes.

IMG_1094.JPG

Firstly, I have 2 brow pencils; the NARS Brow Perfector and the Surratt Expressioniste Brow pencil.  They're both waxier formulas, which I like because I find them easier to use without getting carried away.  I've repurchased both several times over (depending on what shade most closely matches my current look) and I'm always surprised I never hear more chatter about either of them.

Then, I have Givenchy Ombre Couture.  This is a potted shadow and while I don't often get along with cream products, I do love these.  I find they work equally well as a base product as they do for diffusing out as an actual shadow and they last.  The permanent shade range is sort of small, but they've come out with some really fun LE ones over the years.

Lastly, I'm gonna say Shiseido.  I have their Lacquer Rouge pictured, but I feel like as a makeup brand Shiseido is a bit of an unsung hero in North America.  Their blushes are lovely, being well pigmented and super smooth.  And I own their foundation in both liquid (Synchro Skin) and powder form (Sheer and Perfect) and it's one of the only base products I ever wear (since I don't wear base 99% of the time).  And yes, the Lacquer Rouges.  I feel like they came out at a time when the makeup industry was obsessed with the cat butt matte liquid lip.  Perhaps if they had come out today, as so many brands are shifting towards a different form of liquid lip, they would've been better received.

Yes to the Givenchy Ombre Couture! They for sure don't get talked about enough! 

I'm with you on the NARS Brow Perfector and the Givenchy Ombre Couture! Potted eyeshadows just don't get the love they deserve in general. I tend to like the drier, sheerer ones too--qualities which I imagine only make them even less popular these days.

@MochapjGivenchy Ombré couture are my favourite cream shadows as well. They go on so smoothly without effort. Perfect for my lazy self.

I have my eyes on Shiseido powder foundation for summer so it is good to know it's worth trying.

@Mochapj i love my givenchy ombre couture too ! and i said the same thing about shiseido as a brand down below, but less eloquently ! i addddddore.

"cat butt matte liquid lip" hahaha. I personally like the lacquer rouges, although they do tend to bleed on me a little.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg