Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

Thanks for reviewing the brow pencil. I have always been curious about it, but haven't really heard anyone talking about it.

With foundations, I've always been squeamish to spend a lot of money on them (since they get used up quickest), and while I have tried other higher-end brands' foundations, I keep coming back to my tried and true. I first ever started using it after finding out that Dita Von Teese used it (not sure if she still does).

loreal_1024x1024.jpg

L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Liquid Foundation

The large color range keeps me coming back and the level of coverage is adjustable.

I too used to love this foundation and didn't really have a good reason for switching other than wanting to try new things.  Just seeing it brought back so many memories!

I also remember using some type of cushion foundation many many years ago (before cushion foundations were a "thing").  It had sheer coverage and I remember it feeling borderline greasy going on but it didn't stay that way and I loved it so much. I can't remember what brand it was or what it was called but I have the fondest memories of it.  

@KatieKabam i used this foundation yearrrrrrrs ago. i know i repurchased a few times but frankly have no memories of it. i do know, though, that it's what i'd buy from the drugstore were in a position of needing to pick one up there (best color match !). 

This is another cool thread @jemly! I've enjoyed reading everyone's picks! I have two:

Sarah Chapman Ultimate Cleanse

Ultimate Cleanse.png

This is by far the best cleanser I've used; it is the only cleanser I use at night after I remove my makeup. It does an excellent job getting all the makeup off that didn't get removed with just Spa Water. I have slightly dry skin and have always had issues with my skin feeling tight after cleansing. That doesn't happen here at all. It's an all around great product for me. The ingredients list isn't too bad either! It has CoQ10 which is "all the rage" and lots of good oils that help cleanse and nourish. (jojoba is a favorite of mine.)

The second is sadly discontinued according to Charlotte Tilbury's facebook care group. It is Lip Magic. I've used 2 jars already and just finished the last bit of it last week. It was the best lip balm for prepping my lips for lipstick. RIP. 😞

Lip Magic.png

Awesome Thread! Here are some of mine:

Becca EverMatter Poreless Primer: I know a lot of peeps hate the texture of this primer, but it has been my go to for oily skin forever! I've repurchased it at least 1M times lol

Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss: I can't even begin to tell you how sad and panicked I am that this is being discontinued. This was the perfect balm for on top of matte liquid lipsticks, or on its own. Moisturizing with a sheer, yet naturally shimmery shade. I have no idea what I'm going to do once I finish the one I have...thus far, I've had no success finding it anywhere to stock up now that its being discontinued.

Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo: Honestly, I've tried every dry shampoo out there, and I keep coming back to this one. Cuts the grease without being too heavy, nice scent, no white reside, and SO CHEAP!

OGX Coconut and Milk Serum: Again, I've used every serum it feels like on my thick coarse hair, but this stuff...man oh man. It gives me sleek hair, no frizz, and doesn't weigh my hair down or look greasy. All that for a tiny price tag...lifetime purchaser here.

Kirkland Makeup Wipes: I prefer these over the Neutrogena and Yes wipes. I always buy them in bulk from Costco

Anastasia Beverly Hills Duo Brow Powder: I feel like the dip brow gets hyped up so much, but honestly, I HATED the dip brow, and have loved the powder for years. I switch between ebony and granite , and use my trusty MAC 208 brush to give me my signature full and soft brows.

Garnier Fructis BB Cream for Oily Skin: Look, being Korean, I have tried what I feel like is every variation of BB cream out since they started to get popular in Korea. Out of all the Korean and American brands, both high and low price points, this BB is my HG. It gives me coverage, isn't greasy, matches my undertones more than most, and is dirt cheap for oodles of product. I'll never stop buying this, and push it to all my friends.

Garnier Fructis Skin Renew Anti-Puff Eye Roller: I used this every morning, for my eyes, that are also puffy EVERY morning lol. It really gets the puff under control so I don't look like I have punching bags under my eyes. I keep mine in the fridge for an extra refreshing jolt.

Dickinsons Original Witch Hazel: I use the PIXI glow tonic as my toner in the morning, and this witch hazel at night. It's gentle yet effective on my sensitive skin. When I first starting using it years ago, I wasn't sure because it didn't sting (I used to think effective = stinging), and I didn't love the scent. But years later, I'm devoted and always have back ups in stock.

@gongju87 Girl we have similar taste! I still use my Becca primer on occasion and never understood why it got so much hate! My bf and I still use Baby Lips and I find it works just as good as my high end stuff! The ABH brow powder was the first eyebrow filler I used and I always got the "your brows look so good and natural" comment but now that I have switched over to dipbrow, those compliments only come on occasion lol

We are each other's spirit animals ❤️ I was tempted to buy an overpriced babylips from amazon the other day, but showed some restraint (let's see how long that lasts!) I really tried to like the dip brow but I have a heavy hand to begin with, so they would either looks super harsh, or, take me FOREVER to get right! I always go back to old faithful 😉

I have to try Suave dry shampoo I guess. After trying a bunch I still haven't found a dry shampoo that I can call my HG.

Hi @gongju87,

I love the Becca EverMatte Poreless Primer! I feel like you don't even notice the texture once you put on your foundation! 

And I love the Kirkland wipes as well! I buy them in bulk and they last me months! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Costco and buying in bulk is life ❤️

I'll have to try the Kirkland wipes. My current favorites are the Aveeno Ultra Calming Makeup Remover Wipes, which I guess is another one of my unsung heroes haha.

Kirkland makeup wipes are the BEST!  

I love this thread, and I've been stalking it for a while now... time to participate!

Farmacy Beauty Sleep Tight, my dry Minnesota winter skin needs this stuff every night or else it will become very flaky.

Skin Fix, Hand Cream.  This is the best hand lotion because it is so moisturizing but at the same time it doesn't make the palms of your hands slimy and greasy.

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Serum.  This one I apply every morning because it absorbs quickly and definitely leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated.

Too Faced chocolate bronzer.  Love the buildable formula and the scent of chocolate as I apply it! 

L'Occitane Almond Cleansing Oil, smells yummy and the perfect shaving lotion/ soap.  Never leaves my legs feeling dry afterwards.

Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger Grass Cream.  I usually apply this to any dry patches, especially helpful in the cold winter months.

Buxom mascara, love this.  I usually use a primer first but love this to separate and lengthen.

Obliphica Seaberry Hair Serum, smells delicious and leaves my long hair feeling soft and healthy.  

Urban Decay Ozone Primer.  Leaves my lips moisturized and ready for any lipstick.  💋

Great picks. I love the UD Ozone primer as well! It's definitely an unsung hero, I rarely see anyone mention it (and I totally forgot about it too until you mentioned it). 😛

haha I'm like @alexasteph with the oil, specifically tea tree oil for me. I'm prone to issues with my teeth and nothing has ever helped like TTO. then I discovered it works on acne too and I'm SUPER hooked lol!

other stuff:
honest beauty magic balm - this is HG/daily use status - I use it to keep my foundation/concealer from creasing. in fact, I've really found some gems from this brand as a whole (which is funny since I generally don't like the celeb brands), but I love their primer and eye cream too!

ren glycol lactic radiance renewal mask - ..I feel like this forum has GOT to be sick of me talking about this product by now lol. I think it's been the biggest game changer in my skincare routine. this brand is so underrated as a whole!

ole henriksen invigorating night treatment - is this one more well-established? I feel like it MIGHT be. but this is such a miracle product. somehow treats acne and fine lines at the same time while you snooze

oops that's all skincare lol. I don't really have any makeup unsung heroes as I switch my makeup around allll the time, but I do consistently swear by mascara primer. it makes such a difference in the end result of mascara to the point where I often skimp on falsies

I love UD Ozone primer  but I rarely ever remember wearing it. Im so much in a habit to wear a lip balm underneath my lipsticks that my lip primers are just sitting there catching dirt. 

I'm not sure if this really counts... But I am obsessed with peppermint essential oil. I use it for everything. To freshen my water and help with digestion, in homemade lip sugar scrubs an lip balms, I diffuse it for mood and focus, for headaches, on the back of my neck to cool down when it's hot/humid, currently to sooth some sunburns... If I am using another oil for something else, like lavender for example, I'm almost always also blending it with peppermint. I have multiple bottles all over... In my work bag, my purse, at home, at my desk. I am never without it. It's pretty incredible stuff. 

Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Face Wash- this stuff has salicylic acid and is oil-free so it helps tone down my occasional break outs. I have been using this to wash my face every morning for the past 4 years and I love it!

Soap and Glory One Heck of A Blot Primer- I recommend this primer almost every time I recommend anything to oily skinned girls! It seriously works so well for me that I currently have 3 back ups and have already gone through about 2 tubes of this stuff.

Kaplan MD Lip 20 Mask- I use this every morning before I apply my makeup and it leaves my lips soft and supple! I have not heard anyone talk about this but it is amazing.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Primer- I know that there are a ton of lip primers out there but I have been using this one religiously for months now (maybe even a year) and I find it works best to prime my lips before applying liquid lipstick.

Bed Head Beach Freak- I have tried almost every single detangler out there and none have come close to how good this one works. My hair was a hot mess before I discovered this and now I keep at least 2 of these stashed in my house in case I run out. One bottle doesn't very long but it is not expensive at all and Ulta often times has BOGO sales on that brand.

Julep Oxygen Nail Treatment- this is the smoothest, most efficient nail polish primer I have ever tried. I have been purchasing this since it first launched a few years back and have not tried another nail primer since then!

OPI Infinite Shine 3 Top Coat- this is more of a "gel" top coat that helps keep my manicures chip-free for at least a good week. When I am not using my Seche-Vite, I reach for this and it works just as good and leaves my nails with a nice gel-like finish.

The best part about my "unsung heroes" is that they can all be found on Sephora or Ulta 😉

Can you use the OPI Infinite Shine top coat over any polish? i once asked someone at Ulta and she said "no" but I had a feeling she was just wanting me to buy the Infinite Shine polishes.

@shyvicki YES! You definitely can! I use it on all kinds of polishes (Julep, Dior, Smith and Cult, etc.) and it works on all of them!

Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg