Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

I'm trying to think of mine. I don't want to leave any out! 

-RMS uncover foundation/Concealer - I use this as my every day/work base. My skin really likes it, and it's enough coverage for what I need typically at work. It isn't my HG base, but it's great for every day. Which leads me to...

-CdP Radiant Fluid foundation - my all time favorite foundation. In general, the reviews I see for this are positive, but there's not a whole lot of chatter about it. I adore it and have since it was released a couple years ago. Never fails me. 

-UD primer potion - my favorite eyeshadow base for years now. No matter what else I try. 

-Kevyn Aucoin face color products in general. I love his sculpting powder, highlight, ombré bronzer in Tropical Days and Nights, and those cream blushes! All of these are incredible. People don't talk about the highlighter a lot I guess because it can't be seen from space. I like a bright highlight as well sometimes, but this one is the best powder for a natural glow on me. And those cream blushes! They are SO good. Highly recommend. 

-Conair hot rollers/hot rollers in general - Such an easy way to style your hair with minimal effort and beautiful salon blowout results. 

-Lancôme Vintage Rose lipstick - the most perfect mauve-ish MLBB shade. No other lipstick like it. I have bought this over and over again and can't say that for many lipsticks (just this and MAC Hue)

-Chanel sheer illuminating fluid - the bronzer gets a ton of love, but this doesn't. It's a gorgeous liquid highlighter. Packaging is meh, but it is so pretty by itself or mixed with product. Especially in the summer. 

-Shu Uemura Cool Blonde - best purple product for my blonde hair that I've found

-Oribe Curl Gloss - I am a big oribe fan. I use this any time I wear my hair air dried (I'm naturally wavy)

-Neutrogena Body Oil - my skin is so soft from this. I'm telling you, I've had multiple people ask me how I get my skin so soft. It's all this, and the price is great.

-Rosebud lip balm - can't be without it

there are probably others but those are the ones I can think of offhand. I have other products I love but they are pretty hyped! 

@jemly

My unsung heroes quickly get sung, cause I can't shut up about it.  

• Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil.  I am a one woman army on a mission to spread the word.  It is now available at Anthropologie - get this!
  • Eco Tools dual fiber brush - My fingers are my favourite makeup tool, but I do use brushes for certain things.  This is a fabulous brush for stiff products and cream blushes.  I use it for Becca Shimmering blushes and NARS dual intensity blushes.   It buffs out really well.
  • Clinique Line Smoothing concealer (or some such name) - this is a really nice product and I have used it for a long time.  I always make sure I have one in rotation.  
  • Ilsci Apricot Gel mask - a nice little weekend mask.  Like a shot in the arm for blah tired skin.

I think I need to check the IIsci Apricot mask because I love the scent of apricots and can't get enough " boost my tired skin" masks @greenchilli

@fatimamummy

The scent is strong, and a tad too concentrated.  But I don't mind.

I keep the jar in the fridge so it is a wonderful cooling mask.

@greenchilli I confirm your message was received 🙂 I got Aurelia night oil a week ago and I already see a difference in my skin texture and wellness. The effect is hard to describe but I can say my skin loooove it.  I'm now one of your soldier 😉 

@lauriebos

I am thrilled to hear that!

@greenchilli I perked up at the mention of that oil! Off to do some googling now. 

My unsung heroes are:

- Benefit Ka-brow in 02

- Cover FX Click Stick Color Corrector in Yellow

- MUFE 242 Large Blending Brush

- Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment

CoverGirl clear mascara that doubles as brow gel! I like it better than any other brow gel on the market including ABH. Amorepacific treatment enzyme peel.

Also I really love Chanel's SPF 50 UV essentials. It does smell flowery, but it's the only SPF I've found that doesn't make my makeup separate/make me get oily throughout the day.

I agree on the CoverGirl! For awhile I was using it as mascara on some school days @ University, and then discovered it's a great brow gel. Effective and inexpensive!

I use the Essence brow gel now, $3, so cheap! 😄

@niki172

I'm sure there are a lot of unsung heroes in my collection but as of right now two items are standing out above the rest for me.  

I'm on my fifth Too Cool For School UV Cover Pact powder.  It has spf50 so I use it for sunscreen touch ups throughout the day.  It has a slight yellow tint that doesn't really show up on my skin.  

I purchased a Optilash eyelash growth serum in early March and have been using it religiously mornings and evenings since and am very pleased to report a 2mm growth in my lashes.  They were 9mm long at the beginning and are now just under 12mm.  I haven't noticed any extra fullness but I'm pleased with the length I've achieved.IMG_9093.JPG

Optilash Serum sounds intriguing, I would love to lengthen my lashes!

I'm curious about that Too Cool for School powder! I have a Paul & Joe one but it only comes in lavender and a beige color that's a little too light and flat for me.

That plaid TCFS packaging is SO COOL! I'm intrigued by this powder, did you get this product while you were in Asia @heartsmyface or have you found it elsewhere online??

IMG_4454.jpg

Hourglass blush in Dim Infusion and Luminous Flush: For a long time, these were my only blushes, and in a perfect world, I'd downsize back to these and maybe two other colors. I feel like the attention has turned more toward HG's holiday blush palettes and strobe blushes, but these originals are still perfection for me. They go on nice and light, so it's pretty difficult to get clownface unless you're really trying. 

Becca highlighter in Opal (DS): All I need is a mini of this, even though I wear it every day. A kind BTer sent it to me last year, and I'd definitely suggest getting the DS over a FS, as it appears it will last forever. It also looks killer in my eyes' inner corners.

Nars semi-matte lipstick: A lot of attention is on the Audacious and Lip Glide formulas, but I'm still a fan of the OG line. The one pictured is Heat Wave, and it's both a much beloved shade, and also formula.

* Perricone MD No Foundation Foundation Serum: The name is dumb as hell, but I adore the light formula that easily glides on my skin. The downside is there's only one color, and it's a tad too dark for me, so I only wear it in the summer. (Also, whoops, I forgot to toss this after this past summer, and it's since expired and gone bad, so I'll be buying the mini bottle that's now available. I wish the smaller bottle was always available.)

L'Oreal HIP loose shadow in Visionary: I think this is long discontinued, and it may be the oldest makeup item I own. It's just a great loose glittery gold shadow that's the perfect shadow topper.

MAC Technakohl eyeliner in Brownborder: I'm not big into MAC, but dang if this isn't just an awesome workhorse of a brown eyeliner. The formula is smooth, but it's hard enough to wear on my waterline without crumbling. 

IMG_4458.jpg

* Assured cotton rounds: These are made for the freaking Dollar Tree and they're so soft!

* Shiseido Extra Smooth sunscreen: It does leave a bit of a whitecast, but I'm so pale that it's practically a color corrector. It doesn't pill and makeup applies easily over it.

* Sephora lip balm: I buy these in bulk during the winter sale, and they're in the sale section now!

Kevyn Aucoin eyelash curler: The only one I've found that fits my eyes easily and doesn't pinch me.

MUFE #152 brush: It's marketed as a highlighter brush, but I use it for blush. I love the small, round shape.

* Real Techniques setting brush: I use this as a blending brush, and it corrects myriad eyeshadow sins.

* = repurchased

Perricon MD No foundation foundation serum was my HG for a long time until I developed a severe allergic reaction from it 😐 I still haven't found a light weight base that I like as much as I liked NFFS.

Oh no, how horrible! Do you think it's something in the sunscreen you're allergic to? @fatimamummy

I have no idea @TKLJ I was using it for over a yr and then all of a sudden it started making my skin irritated and all red. Ofcourse initially I thought it must be one of my skincare products but after a while I was able to pin point this baby as the source of reaction.

Perricone MD No Foundation Foundation Serum - yesssss. I love it but never repurchased after mine expire because of the price. It's perfect for days I don't want to wear much

The mini is $22! Although I wonder how the dropper would work with such a tiny bottle. @malday http://www.sephora.com/no-foundation-foundation-serum-spf-30-P386465?skuId=1691906

Adding to loves, thank you!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg