Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

do you have some products (makeup, skincare, hair, etc) in your stash that you have a firm and unshakable commitment to--you repurchase over and over--but you've never really encountered anyone else who loves it too ? products that are never talked about on social media (or here, or amongst your friends), or perhaps have mediocre reviews but just work really well for you ? there are a lot of ways a product can fall into the 'unsung hero' category, and they're all valid ! 

one of mine is the GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation. in the givenchy world, the teint couture foundation is their reigning queen--or so it seems based on the frequency i see it mentioned. but the photo perfexion foundation is my queen ! it is admittedly not the longest lasting, but the coverage is infinitely buildable, making touch-ups, if necessary, a breeze. it just looks like skin. i've recently been using it with a sponge (real techniques miracle complexion) and i like it even more ! which i didn't know was possible. also, it has some great options for very fair skin. it has pretty good reviews on sephora, but i've never encountered my fellow people !

i'll write more of mine below ! 

Re: YOUR UNSUNG HEROES

@TopazBeth I love the Kevyn Aucoin Celstial highlight! I like using it alone for a more subtle look or I've layered it on top of Urban Decay's Sin and I've gotten many compliments on that combo. I also like how it is buildable. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

I have quite a few! Some of these may be a little more common than others, but here we go!

Vincent Longo Bi-Brow Powder & Pomade

Once upon a time, Sephora used to carry Vincent Longo products. This was probably the first brow product I ever used and loved. The "black" shade matches my hair really well because it isn't too warm. I don't use the pomade as much but it's nice if you want the powder to be bolder or if you want slight hold. Also, this stuff lasts me forever. I've purchased it only 2 or 3 times since 2009 😛

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer

My skin hates primers with a lot of silicone or chemical sunscreens, so this is perfect for me. It makes my face slighter more matte while giving it a smooth base for foundation. Sometimes I'll wear it alone just to blur everything a little. I like to buy the XL tubes during the November sale, it lasts me the year.

Anna Sui Protective BB

Sure, the shade range leaves a LOT to be desired, but luckily I fit the darker shade haha. I love this BB for it's medium-full buildable coverage and semi-matte finish. It is SPF 50 PA+++ and doesn't make me break out or cause me to become oily!

Illamasqua Gel Sculpt

Contouring product! Easy to apply and blend and looks natural! It's also layerable since it has a sheer gel formula. I like to use a powder (Burberry Earthy) over it for extra oomph, but it also looks fine on its own.

MAC Prep + Prime Lip

I've been using this product ever since UD discontinued their lip primer (my HG). I like that it's fairly moisturizing while helping my lipstick adhere all day. Fun fact: I use primer, liner and color altogether any time I'm wearing a lip color and it usually lasts me half the day before I need a touchup.

Essie Gel Setter Top Coat

This stuff dries pretty quickly and helps my polish last way longer than most topcoats. The shine is lovely also!

Adding:

Aveeno Ultra Calming Makeup Remover Wipes

So...I'm not really the best when it comes to washing my face at night, and because of this I've tried about a million types of makeup remover wipes, but this is my favorite. The cloths have a wonderful, soft texture that doesn't irritate my skin and the formula doesn't make me feel greasy or overly dried out like most makeup wipes. Also it kind of smells like apples 😛

I also love that primer and top coat! @malday

The Mac prep and prime lip has the perfect amount of tackiness to really grab onto color!  Ha, I gave a hard time wearing lipstick all day cause I love to EAT!!!!  

I've almost mastered the art of eating and keeping my lipstick completely on, but the faces I make to do so are hilariously unflattering

@malday the HG primer is my favorite too! anything with silicone breaks me out terribly, so i've been using the hourglass for over a year, and still love it!

and MAC prep and prime makes liquid lipstick soooo much more bearable.

Yes! Your blurb on the Hourglass primer reflects my feelings towards it!!

The HG primer has never done me wrong, it's probably the only product I'd ever consider perfect haha

I guess it's "HG" for a reason! 😉

Oh great thread Jem!  Like V, the first thing that popped into my head was my favorite lip balm, Hurraw!  It's a vegan, organic and raw (get it??) brand that has loads of fun flavors.  You can get them on Amazon (for a price hike), iHerb or direct but I think you need to place an order for 3 or more.

My favorite is the Moon Balm.  It's a super hydrating night treatment that I wear all the time.  It's moisturizing, soothing and all around delightful!

I'm sure I have more unsung heroes but I need to ponder 🙂

@michelleshops Thanks for sharing. I have chronically dry lips and am ever on the hunt of new lip balms. I think I am going to check these soon.

@michelleshops the name of it on top of your enthusiasm makes me really want to try it out!  

Let me know if you try them hearts!  I ordered a bunch of the coffee flavored ones for a "Gilmore Girls" themed gift.  I need to find the photo to share. I'm glad my excessive enthusiasm is good for something @heartsmyface

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder This is the only powder I have found that makes my face shine-free all day. My nose and forehead are oily year-round and the rest of my face gets a little oilier in the warm weather months. This lasts all day with no touching up needed.

Yes! I swear by this stuff! I have the loose version, which is insanely messy every time I open and close the jar, but it works SO well that it's worth it.

After I went through about four bottles of Caudalie micellar water, I decided to switch things up and try the micellar water from Ren, which was a few dollars cheaper. Best decision ever. Don't use this on your eyes because it stings, but I use a specific eye makeup remover, anyway. But, this micellar water smells incredible (like roses), does a decent job removing my makeup (which is admittedly pretty light), and doesn't leave my face feeling sticky. That last bit is important because after trying several micellar waters on the market, I thought the stickiness was normal for micellar water, and it didn't bother me because I usually double cleanse, and this was just my first round of cleansing. This product is my current obsession, for sure.

Here are mine:

Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base - why does this stuff not get more love? It's the only base that works for me and allows my lashes to hold a curl. I can use ANY mascara with this base. Have purchased too many tubes to count, have been using this for close to 10 years, likely. I swear it's made my lashes longer, too. It used to be called The Makeup Mascara Base, then they formulated. The first tube of the new Nourishing Mascara Base felt was inferior to the old The Makeupe Mascara Base (not enough hold, weighed lashes down), but they must have since tweaked the formulation because it's now back to being as good as it was before!

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - this product does get lots of love already but I have continued to wear this although I've stopped wearing foundation. I actually wore this UNDER my SPF 50 while on vacation, and no other products on the face. It blurs the imperfections on my face and makes it feel amazing. I do think it helps with controlling oil, since I've stopped using blotting sheets slowly over the 2-3 years I've used this product. I'm probably on my 4th 2 oz. tube.

CeraVe Foaming Face Wash - I know the "foaming" throws people off, and I'm also a believer that you don't need foam to clean your face as they frequently do more damage than good. The foaming action from this cleanser though is so gentle (more like a... thin froth) and not due to sulphates. I would use this even if it didn't foam. It works so well for me and doesn't dry me out, I'm just about to buy my 5th bottle.

Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Replenishing Conditioner - I LOVE this stuff, and my hair loves it too. I only need one pump for my entire head of hair so while it's pricy, it does last me a long time.

Clinique Take the Day Off for Lids, Lips and Lashes - I started using this way before they came out with the balm, cleansing oil, cleansing milk, cleansing stick...which all seem to live up to the original formula. This stuff removes EVERYTHING. Waterproof mascara, liquid lipsticks, smudge proof brow products... it might be one of the longest (if not THE longest) standing items in my routine.

I loved the Shisedo mascara base! I switched to Dior solely because I wanted something more thickening, but the Shisedo made my lashes feel so healthy and they definitely held a curl better with it.

I have tried the Dior @TopazBeth, it worked OK for me while I took a break from the Shiseido before they reformulated the Nourishing base! It didn't hold a curl as well and sometimes I didn't use enough mascara and the white base showed through though.

It's nice to have options, I hope Shiseido NEVER discontinues this product or I'll be very sad.

The Alterna Caviar line is so good. Very painful to the wallet but man, it really works! I'll have to pick this up at the next sale. I really enjoy their CC cream but I'm not getting that again until I finish up my Reverie Milk lol. 

Yeah! So happy they came out with the large pump bottle size of my shampoo, beats buying the regular bottles.

I like the CC cream as well, but find it makes my hair a bit crunchy feeling if I apply before blow drying.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • lip-delivery-nutritionreg-66e.png
  • IMG_4454.jpg
  • IMG_4458.jpg
  • IMG_9093.JPG
  • Ultimate Cleanse.png
  • Lip Magic.png
  • loreal_1024x1024.jpg
  • IMG_1094.JPG
  • boudoir.jpg