Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

What would you change?

If you could go back in time and talk to your 15 year old or 20 year old self, what beauty advice would you give?

I know the first thing I would say is wash your face every night, no matter how tired you are!  I can't believe, looking back now, how many years I spent wearing make up and did not clean off my face at the end of the day.  Horrible!

What would you all say...to yourself?

Re: What would you change?

If I could go back to my teenage self (15 yr old 3 years ago) I would defiantly do the same thing as you. Not taking care of my skin back then has now caused my acne and now I have cystic acne. Thank goodness it's not really bad, but still. If I were to just take the time and wash off my makeup, cleanse my face with a face wash not just water, I'm sure my skin would be better than now.

Wear sunscreen!

I agree with both answers and would add eye cream!!!

Less is usually more! I was notorious for shimmery shadows up to my brows, bright blush, and even brighter lipstick. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine

Try makeup that is outside of your comfort zone.  I didn't start wearing eyeshadow until I was 26 because I was scared that I would mess it up and look like a clown.  Didn't really wear bold colored lipstick until I was 28.  I stayed more with frosty browns.  Makeup is more fun when you explore your options and try looks that you never thought you'd try before.  It's somewhat of an expression of your personality.  Have fun with it!

Hey, kiddo, stay out of those tanning beds!  I am fair skinned and burn easily and soooooo wanted to be tan like all my friends.  However, the more I tanned, the more freckles I got with sun damage to boot!  They didn't have but one brand of sunless tanning lotion in the 80's and it left you looking like an orange persimmon!  I finally wised up and gave up on being dark and tanned.  Now I find my sun in a bottle and use SPF every day!

My husband says if all my freckles connected I would be tan!  Smiley Happy

I am like that too!  I joke that I can only burn and then I peel to my white self (except more freckles).  Fortunately I did learn from my mom while I was young to stay away from tanning beds.

Ohh, what wouldnt I tell the 15 yr old me!?  Wash your face ALL THE TIME, you're never too young for skincare, lay off the frosty shadow, brown lip liner isnt THAT cool.... water actually does help your skin, as does sleep... I really could go on forever!

xo, Mia

I'm not sure this counts as beauty advice but i'd tell younger me to floss, floss, floss.   I have so many bad teeth, and there are complicated reasons for them, but one thing that would have helped a lot and not been complicated at all is to start flossing.

Would tell my teenage self, Nutrition and lots of water, lots lots and more water. sleep more and remind my 20 year old self to stay OUT of the sun the way i did as a teen

don't over pluck your eyebrows, don't pick, don't move when curling your eyelashes, smile more, and have fun!

I wish I could highlight the eyebrow plucking part!

I would tell my younger self to buy sunscreen when it first came on the market, even though it was gooey, white and unpleasant at the time. My skin has a bunch of wrinkles now that I am sure wouldn't be there if I had used sunscreen, I just remember all the sunburns and peeling that I had as a late teen when sunscreen was invented. Can't do anything about when I was a kid, but my derm says anything you do, no matter how late, is better than nothing. 

I also would tell my younger self to not worry as much, that was definitely contributory to the not-so-cute "11" between my brows, as was not wearing my glasses and squinting because I hated the way I looked in them. Stuff has a way of sorting itself out and worry doesn't do any good. As for the glasses, when I backed the car into a post because I couldn't see, that was the wake up, what if it had been a person or pet? I was mortified!

Oh my goodness! I'm glad it was only a post and not anything worse. I can hardly read my computer screen without my glasses on, I couldn't imagine trying to leave the house, never mind drive without them!!

I know, right?  Not the OP, but I can't see the computer screen at all unless I'm about three inches away from it.  Thinking about trying to drive without my glasses is pretty much like driving blindfolded for me LOL

Yep, that's about me exactly! Thank goodness for contact lenses, every summer I wished I could wear sunglasses and not have to squint all the time and it was everything I hoped it could be when I got contacts! Smiley Happy

i would tell myself to be more diligent in my skincare routine to prevent acne and reduce future scars, lay off the fast food, get my eye brows professionally waxed so i will know what they are supposed to look like, and don't be afraid to try different looks!!!

Most of all, I think I'd shake myself from about age 13 to age 26 or so and say "You're NOT fat! And don't worry so much about what people think and letting them define you. Stop obcessing about yourself and check out what's going on with everyone else, and what you can do!

Ahh! This thread is amazing! As someone in her early 20's, it's so helpful to hear all of these suggestions. I now religiously wash my face every night and wear sunscreen daily. So glad to hear it's all worth it!

Wear SPF. Otherwise nothing, cuz I'm kind of rebellious, so I feel like any more than that would backfire. =O

LOL! Smiley Happy

Hahahaha, yeah. I still have things I love doing just because it made my mom flip out when I was younger. 

tst, tst, tst........bad girls!  Smiley Happy

SPF for sure, and no tanning beds!!!  Save me some lines....  Wear that retainer!!!  And when my mouth grew I probably needed a new one.  I would probably redo my makeup routine so I could look the way I wanted to, now that I know how to do it, tell myself not to cut my hair to a pixie cut but keep it longer, yet give me some ideas to help my hair look more fixed.  I used to spend hours everyday curling my hair and within 2 hours the curl was gone and my hair looked ratty, but the only other option I knew was a ponytail.  I would also tell my 15 yr old self that punk was NOT cool and if I really wanted to be a cheerleader there was nothing wrong with that but it would take hard work.  But more than anything, I would say have confidence in yourself.  At 4, at 12, at 15, at 18, at 20, at 25....  That one thing would have completely changed my life!!!!  Then again, I like how things have turned out Smiley Very Happy

39 Replies
Conversation Stats