Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

What's in a Name?

If you know anything about makeup you know that some of the best parts of packaging is the name appeal. Some are cute and some tend to be a little x-rated Smiley Tongue. My question to you is : Do names like - Orgasm & Deep Throat bother you? 

As a mother I would be a bit uncomfortable if my daughter came home with a product like this. Smiley Tongue 

What say you?

Re: What's in a Name?

Fabz, I'm with you.  I'm not a mom but I do think names like that are somewhat lacking in taste and a little too much of "letting it all hang out there."  Also I don't like the idea that some guy who created those names is looking at millions of women wearing "Orgasm" on their faces and probably quite pleased with himself about it.  Just a bit too sordid for me.

I'm not drawn to a product because of the name either.  I go for the product because of color, quality, etc.  Some of the names do crack me, though, and some of the name I would not tell other people.  However, the product names are no where near as a bad as "guy humor."  

I don't understand why some shades have such long names, especially OPI polish!  When I post on here, IG, or Facebook, I have to double check the bottle sometimes to make sure I have the right name lol.

You seriously cannot deny that absinthe is delicious in a Picasso on Coke though XD

As an art historian in training, I applaud you heartily Smiley Happy

I never brought a product because of the name of it. Unless it happens by accident. I buy the product because I know I will be using it and love it and if it happens to have a funny name to it I end up giggling.

I'm not going to lie, I finally caved a bought a Butter London polish called Saucy Jack that I was eye balling for the longest time. Though it's just a simple, rich, deep red color, the name stems from the movie This is Spinal Tap, which I love. It was fun for me to have a movie reference on my nails, kind of like a inside/personal joke with myself to where no one else would know but I would get a kick out of it.

Though the story behind the name isn't x-rated or saucy, I personally don't get bothered by names of products that tie either to drugs, sex, or things that can make an eye brow raise. Though I definitely see the concern or understand how it can be a bit off-putting for some, I know cosmetic companies are just looking for ways to stand out from other lines and really "brand" their products as their own. No one would remember an eye shadow color just called "Vanilla", but throw "Vivacious" in front and suddenly you have a key word to remember that stands out. It can also help in terms of repurchasing products too, a blase or unmemorable name can make it tricky when you need to buy a replacement, but a product called "Half baked" or "Deep Throat", you tend to remember a bit better because it's so shocking and grabs your attention.

-

Some of the colors are hit and miss for me in terms of formulation. I loved Black Knight (Monty Python Holy Grail reference) and almost got it, but the black base of the polish was super sheer! I would have either had to apply 3-5 coats for it to be opaque or top it off on a black polish and I figured if I have to do that I might as well search for a dupe or look for a blue and purple glitter top coat on its own. If I'm going to pay the price for BL's polishes, best believe I don't want to spend hours waiting for multiple coats to dry to give the look intended. I have Primrose Hill Pink, Slapper, Saucy Jack, and All Hail the Queen and those are great as 2 coaters. I'm also a fan of their Horse Power nail conditioner/strengthener.

There is a Monty Python reference out there?! Love that. See now that isn't crude or anything plus it's hilarious! 

43 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • swfupload_1810548246874007389.jpg
  • swfupload_9176770441316366576.jpg
  • swfupload_6565050483010346929.jpg
  • swfupload_4068965236871035733.jpg
  • swfupload_1111694471587476597.jpg
  • swfupload_1949642339227288483.jpg