Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What are your beauty secrets for this holiday season?

Black Violin Show DYT, OHBlack Violin Show DYT, OH

Re: What are your beauty secrets for this holiday season?

@DawlBaby  I’m in Chicago, so I’m all about keeping my mostly-dry combo skin protected from frigid windy weather. But I usually spend one week of December in Florida to visit family, and my skin sometimes flips out over the sudden temperature change. And I like to travel as light as possible: I refuse to pack a whole train case full of cosmetics. 😄 So, here are my beauty secrets: 

Cold weather 

1. Switch to a more moisturizing sunscreen. For me, that’s COOLA Sun Silk Face Sunscreen Drops with SPF 30 and Hyaluronic Acid 1 oz / 30 mL. It’s too heavily oily/greasy for my skin in warm weather, but in colder temps it acts as an additional moisturizing layer. Bonus points for the dewy glow it gives me in cold weather. This sunscreen contains bitter orange flower extract which can irritate skin. But my face surprisingly has no problem with it. 

2. Amp up my moisturization routine. I use Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... year round, but in cold weather it’s not moisturizing enough on its own. So I layer a facial oil under it: either e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil, Herbivore Emerald CBD + Adaptogens Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL, or Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil with Squalane and Antioxidants 1 oz / 30 ml. I particularly love the Herbivore Emerald CBD oil, a newfound favorite that reduces inflammation. I also have Paula’s Choice Hyaluronic Acid + Ceramides Booster on hand, in case I need an extra HA boost. (HA is my skin’s BFF all year.) And I just switched vit C serums: I now use Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL which contains so much HA, my face can’t help but feel more hydrated and moisturized. 

3. Apply more layers of moisturizer under my eyes than usual. That’s the driest skin on my face so, regardless of season, I have to apply at least 2 layers of any moisturizer there. In cold temps, I apply 3, 4 or even 4 layers. Earlier this year, I stopped using eye creams and have relied solely on my YTTP moisturizer + a facial oil under my eyes. But with winter on its way, I might reintroduce my favorite eye cream, Biossance Squalane + Peptide Brightening & De-Puffing Eye Gel 0.5 oz / 15 mL, to the layering mix. And I still have several DS size jars of Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL so I might use that once in a while under my eyes. (This used to be my wintertime moisturizer, replacing YTTP Superfood.) 

4. Do more hydrating/moisturizing sheet masking. I always mask more often in fall and winter than spring and summer. I’ve stockpiled a variety of masks for this time of year, and I keep an eye out for new ones to try. I’m very fussy about sheet masks because so many contain lots of irritating essential oils, added fragrances, and rosewater—an ingredient my skin doesn’t like. I read lots of mask ingredients lists. 😄 

5. Use a lip serum + lip mask overnight. This is something I should do year round, but especially during cold weather. I’ve had bad luck with many products specifically marketed as “lip serum.” But last month I found something amazing: Glossier Bubblewrap. It’s marketed as an eye & lip cream and I’d wanted to try it for months as a lip product (not as an eye product), so I finally bought a bottle for testing. It’s not nearly moisturizing on its own for my lips. But it’s fantastic as a lip serum step! It contains HA plus antioxidants and a good peptide. I apply a tiny bit to my lips, then spread a thick layer of LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original over it. 

6. Skip liquid matte lipsticks until temps warm up. I don’t wear liquid mattes often anyway, but I especially have trouble with them in cold weather, even if I wear gloss over them. So I usually stop using them in mid to late fall and don’t touch them again until late spring. Fall and winter is when I wear glosses most often, and I wear cream/satin (and even matte) bullets and tinted balms year round. 

Travel to warm weather 

1. Minis are my travel buddies. I love mini sizes of products for several reasons, and travel’s one of ‘em. I try to take advantage of DS promos of things I can’t easily create travel sizes of myself. I mean, I can just pour my serums into smaller containers. But I can’t (or um, won’t :D) slice up my full size lipsticks to create little travel pots/tins, so I love mini bullets. One of my favorite minis is still the adorably tiny compact of CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder I got from Sephora as a promo. The NARS - Mini Blush + Balm Set is right up my alley, so I bought the shade Torrid. And I always travel with a mini Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick Golden Pink. Which leads to my next secret... 

2. Always pack shadow sticks. The Bobbi Brown shadow sticks are rockstar performers: I don’t need shadow primer to keep them in place, and most of the shimmers and metallics look great on me. I also really like SEPHORA COLLECTION - Colorful Shadow & Liner. I usually also bring at least one single powder shadow. Sometimes I also bring several singles in one of my super sturdy MAKE UP FOR EVER - Artist Color Refillable Makeup Palette (XL size, which will hold 6 MUFE shadows). But mostly, I like to pack just 1 or 2 shadow sticks that’ll give me some shimmer. I also bring 2 or 3 eyeliner pencils. 

3. Leave big eyeshadow and blush palettes at home. I won’t even travel with my Natasha Denona Sunrise Eyeshadow Palette 0.67 oz/ 19.25g because it’s too big for the way I like to pack. But I might consider traveling with one of my NATASHA DENONA - Eyeshadow Palette 5, most likely number 5 (my favorite of the bunch), if I can convince myself I won’t break the shadows in transit. 

4. Bring eye masks and a sheet mask or 2. I won’t do a full sheet mask during a flight, but I might use eye patches if my undereyes are suddenly quite dry or I’m on a red eye flight (an eye mask can help me look less like I haven’t slept for weeks). They’re very easy to use without annoying my row mates. 😄 I like to take a sheet mask in case my skin needs extra pampering once I’m at my destination. 

5. Pack a highlighter. Even without a “full” eye or face look, little bits of strategically place highlighter can do wonders for my face. I like to pop a little atop my undereye concealer, to bounce light off the shadows caused by my sunken tear troughs. 

Hi @DawlBaby,

What a perfect look for the holidays! 

Best,

Rebecca

@DawlBaby I love your glasses! 

Spoiler
Thank you!

Affordability meets style! I’m looking for ways to allow my eyes to pop since I wear glasses 99.9% of the time! Colors and techniques for the fall/winter and that goes well with my skin tone!

@DawlBaby @Using a lip mask, hydrating spray, under eye masks, heavier face cream and an oil on top of moisturizer for extra hydration. At night I use Shea socks and apply foot cream and mix it with oil and sleep overnight with it and apply hand cream religiously 

@SportyGirly125 Thank you for the insight! Great tips! It sounds like it’s all about the hydration this winter! What type of Sephora products are being used and how would you describe your skin type?

Putting on lip balm every night no matter how cold so that my lips NEVER look dry or get chapped. Plus lotions with aloe vera are a BLESSING and keep skin looking more plump and younger! ( this seriously helps for cold weather)

@BlushingBunny17, thank you for your tips! It seems as if creating a barrier between the skin and weather such as cold or windchill will help seal the moisture! What products are you using?

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • Black Violin Show DYT, OH
testing