cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Some lighthearted Friday Fun...

We all have a product that got away. Maybe it was something LE that we couldn't acquire.  Maybe our HG product was discontinued without notice.  Or any number of other reasons I'm hoping people will share.

I have 2 items that got away.  Some time in the late 90s I waltzed into a MAC counter and bought a specific cool toned mid intensity pink blush and Aria eyeshadow.  The blush in particular haunts me.  I loved it so much I panned and repurchased it 3 times.  Then I went through a phase of about 4 or so years of not wearing makeup and when I started wearing it again/cleaned out my old makeup bag I threw away the compact because I thought it was too 'old' without ever making note of the name.  So I have NO idea what it was called/whether they still make it any more/how to find a dupe and that makes me very sad.  I've gone to the MAC store a few times to try and figure it out but nothing from the existing line looks quite right.  And then Aria was my perfect, satiny neutral taupe shade.  It matched my eyelids perfectly but also had a lovely sheen that almost looked like a shift.  Sadly, it's long discontinued 😞 but I think I may have finally found it's equal in Chantecaille Elephant, although texturally it's different.

Do you have a story of unrequited makeup love?  Please share below.  Who knows, maybe someone will have suggestions for a dupe, has one to trade, etc.

Re: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

You're welcome!

I hope it's at least similar in person so it's a viable dupe. I find that cheek/contour colors can be a bit more forgiving skin they're applied in a thinner, more spread out manner so pigmentation isn't super bold so that allows a bit more wiggle room to test out stuff on. With shadows, liner, or even lips it becomes a bit more precise because color is so concentrated that if it's not a match then you can easily tell.

The only thing that comes to mind are Chantecaille palettes. I seem to stumble across them long after they're gone. Like this baby...

upload_1946955178175128721.png

...and the Lion palette! Ugh, too gorgeous, but by the time I went to buy it (at Holts) it was gone. 😞

OMG It's so pretty!

Chantecaille has a way of making such beautiful palettes.

omg O_O

I feel like I would only use the shadows around the edges, so that I wouldn't hurt the turtles

Totally agree! No way could I touch those beautiful turtles. 

Anonymous Insider

Everyone knows how hard it is to find your holy grail foundation that has the finish you desire and the perfect color match. I found mine which was the YSL Touche Eclat Illuminating foundation back in 2015 and shortly after that they discontinued it and replaced it with this trash that they have now. I had no idea or I would've stocked up on the shades. I was so heartbroken no joke I was depressed. I'm still hoping they would bring back the old formulation and still don't understand why they would want to revamp it. The old formulation was perfect! The new Touche Eclat foundation also got horrible reviews throughout the past two years so I don't know why they're still keeping it. 

I didn't realize it was a new formula! I switched to NARS all day luminous after I finished my YSL touche eclat. After my NARS was gone I went to repurchase the YSL and saw they didn't have my shade (B50)... I figured they just didn't make my shade anymore. That really sucks, the finish was amazing  😞

I just wanted to post this TJ Miller gif from Deadpool because ever since I read the title of this thread I could not get the scene out of my head from when he says Ryan Reynolds is "haunting" after he reveals what he looks like and I felt this was applicable to how all these makeup items are haunting us.

Image result for deadpool haunting gif

Tarte Aqualillies palette!

Clinique's Raspberry Rush lipstick.  When they renamed everything and came out with the Pop collection, Raspberry Rush was gone.  My HG lipstick I kept coming back to because it was comfortable and looked better on me than any other lipstick I've owned.  So disappointed it's gone.

Ohh, that is a pretty shade 😞

Swatches of Raspberry Rush....

Image result for clinique raspberry rush

You might want to give the Too Faced La Creme Lipstick in Wham a try, it's got that brilliant raspberry color with a hint of gold and even multi-toned shimmer. The last two duos showcase the color in different light. The formula of the TF lipsticks are really nice too, very creamy and they glide on well.

Image result for too faced wham

This is a pretty color!

I first saw it on a friend and was blown away and was all, "WHAT IS THAT COLOR?! I MUST KNOW!"

The name of it makes me love it even more!

The Kat Von D - Mi Vida Loca palette. I talked myself out if it and totally regret it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the only palette I refuse to depot! So cool.

As much as KVD isn't really my thing, I can't deny the setup of that palette is beautiful @EskimoPie1

This one haunts me too.

Anonymous Insider

@EskimoPie1  I feel you on this one. I bought it, returned it because I'm stoooopid and thought that I had enough brights between the sugarpill pro palette and the viseart editorial brights palette.  Then it's haunted me ever since so I bought it again used off ebay for twice the price.  Yeah... so stoooopid.

What a great thread idea, @Mochapj!

I wish I snagged the ABH Master Palette by Mario before it was gone. I decided to wait on it to decide if I truly needed it and then poof

On the upside, since I missed out on the Mario palette I picked up Modern Renaissance and it's my absolute favorite palette.

Photos15
  • 450_1000.jpg
  • 1473467080045.png
  • macblowdry
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_6064.JPG
  • maxresdefault.jpg
  • upload_1946955178175128721.png
  • IMG_3379.JPG
  • IMG_8079.JPG
  • IMG_8080.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.36.55 AM.png