cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Some lighthearted Friday Fun...

We all have a product that got away. Maybe it was something LE that we couldn't acquire.  Maybe our HG product was discontinued without notice.  Or any number of other reasons I'm hoping people will share.

I have 2 items that got away.  Some time in the late 90s I waltzed into a MAC counter and bought a specific cool toned mid intensity pink blush and Aria eyeshadow.  The blush in particular haunts me.  I loved it so much I panned and repurchased it 3 times.  Then I went through a phase of about 4 or so years of not wearing makeup and when I started wearing it again/cleaned out my old makeup bag I threw away the compact because I thought it was too 'old' without ever making note of the name.  So I have NO idea what it was called/whether they still make it any more/how to find a dupe and that makes me very sad.  I've gone to the MAC store a few times to try and figure it out but nothing from the existing line looks quite right.  And then Aria was my perfect, satiny neutral taupe shade.  It matched my eyelids perfectly but also had a lovely sheen that almost looked like a shift.  Sadly, it's long discontinued 😞 but I think I may have finally found it's equal in Chantecaille Elephant, although texturally it's different.

Do you have a story of unrequited makeup love?  Please share below.  Who knows, maybe someone will have suggestions for a dupe, has one to trade, etc.

Re: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

I was really wanting the Belle mirror compact. By the time I could afford to buy it, it was gone. Uhgh!

@Mcakes  me too for the Jasmine palette and the Cinderella one!  I soooo regret this!

The Cinderella palette and compact mirror were my first Sephora purchases (I ended up getting the compact and palette from each release), they started my addiction. I regret not picking up more pieces from each of the collections

@Mcakes I am shocked it took that many responses before someone mentioned these.

I remember them being a really hot commodity at the time 😞

Forever sad I missed the Tonymoly Pikachu collection

1473467080045.png

@Madeline7 those are so cute!

Great, now I want some of these!  Seriously tempted to get some on Amazon just to collect.

agree, they are almost too cute to use! and I love Pikachu!

You can still find much of the collection for reasonable prices on Amazon! I saw several of the hand creams a few days ago for $5 or so.

Oh interesting I figured they might be knock offs

@Madeline7 @J191 in the K-beauty thread, the store Jolse was mentioned and they carry some of these. they are a seller on amazon too, but have their own online store (based in S.Korea though so that would be an international order). I feel like you, and don't easily trust amazon 3rd party sellers. Heard good things though about Jolse on here and on reddit. am very tempted to buy some of the Pokemon collection! Also it appears pricing is slightly less than buying the same K-beauty items from Ulta/Sephora/etc (Jolse carries a bunch of brands). K-Beauty thread on BT: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/All-things-K-Beauty/m-p/2728150#M36309

Anonymous Insider

Mine is Ultima (?) Spectacular Red lipstick from 1987! It was the perfect shade of red for my blond hair and medium skin tone! I'm Hawiian and German. It was so perfect that every girl in my dorm would use it on party or date night before they left! I've never found the same color again 😞

I remember ultima!

Oh @Anonymous that makes me sad.  At least you were able to spread the love of it with a bunch of other girls 🙂

I usually am not overly tempted by LE items, and thankfully nothing I love has been discontinued. But I do still experience a bit of FOMO every time I think about KVD Matte/Metal. It popped back in stock a few months ago and I strongly considered it, but I have far to many palettes already. 

When the Lorac POTC line comes out, I am snatching up all of that though. I love POTC and I'm not going to let that get away from me. I have a friend in Canada who wants it as well, so I'm getting multiples so I can send it to her too. 

So far the only thing that comes to mind is the Sephora Pantone Marsala palette. I wanted it soooo bad and even bid for it on eBay. I've gotten over it now since I have a few dupes for the shades I really wanted from the palette. 

Modern mercury was another but I lucked out and got it at Neiman Marcus last fall after the initial sell out (I love that highlighter so much!)

Oh Marsala @misscg! That was hands-down my favorite Color of the Year collection. For me, it was the lipstick. The color was just so perfect: not too red, not too brown. I worked for Sephora at the time, so had every opportunity to buy it, but did I? No, like a fool, I talked myself out of it and didn't. I've made my peace and moved on, but seeing the name really stirs up some memories!

@StephanieBT The Marsala collection was the best imo. I have the lipstick and wish I bought a backup. Luckily I also have dupes of this lol

@misscg so happy you were able to find MM!

I purchased the Marsala palette and while the colors were gorgeous, I didn't find the formulation all that great (for me) and I ended up trading mine away.  At least you have dupes!

@Mochapj I know I read that the pigmentation wasn't the best but I still wanted it. The layout of the colors was just so pretty and the perfect colors. 

The funny thing about Modern Mercury is I didn't even want to want anything from that collection. I like VB but the price point was so high for Estée Lauder. Then I would periodically check out the thread on here and saw how fast everything was selling out. It's was a serious case of fomo...that I'm glad worked in my favor lol. I love it so much it stays on my vanity 🙂

Oh what a fun thread P!  I have 2 that come to mind.  The first is Bobbi Brown Bahama Mama blush.  I bought it ages ago and it was the only blush I wore. It was super pigment so the compact lasted for ages.  By the time I got around to needing a new one, I discovered it had been discontinued.  I try to find dupes all the time but nothing has quite the same reddish-brown tone and sheen.

The second is the Too Faced Pretty Rebel palette.  I didn't get it when it was in stores and then it went on sale and I waited too long to pull the trigger.  At this point I'm sure I have dupes of all the shades but missing out on it still haunts me.

1 Reply
Photos15
  • 450_1000.jpg
  • 1473467080045.png
  • macblowdry
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_6064.JPG
  • maxresdefault.jpg
  • upload_1946955178175128721.png
  • IMG_3379.JPG
  • IMG_8079.JPG
  • IMG_8080.JPG