Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS !

i have a secret love of watching vintage beauty ads, but i just came across these tutorials and i had to share. i can't get enough. i love how some advice is clearly very dated, and some is undeniably timeless ! 

1930s

1940s

1950s (i'm having trouble finding a proper 50s one)

1960s

Re: VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS !

Jemly. OMG. One of my favorite movies is Valley of the Dolls and every time I see that movie I always look at vintage videos and these are some of the ones I watch. I love looking at them, during spring I go through my 'I just want to wear vintage' stage. 

I love this one. 

That last one from the 1960's surprised me.  And here I thought contouring was a newish thing.

cyan there's a contouring video from the 40s too, teaching how to "fix" your face shape. this is the sort of language used throughout these videos, the idea of "there is a wrong face and a right face and do these things to correct yourself". i'm not denying we still put ridiculous expectations out there, but i'm proud we've moved on from such language/perspective.

contouring was heavily and widely used in early black and white films when shadow and light were used to enhance (or hide) features rather than color. Smiley Happy

Interesting.  Thanks for your reply!

Jemly

I share your annoyance at "fix.

I am also annoyed by the frequent use of the word "flaws" that I seem to hear all the time.  I don't see it in ads, but I hear it everywhere.  I don't think people really pay much attention to the word....but it irks me nonetheless. 

I can be grumpy at times.....

These videos were so interesting to watch. Thanks for sharing! 

This is great, thanks for posting these!

oh. my. gosh. you just combined my two favorite things!

I am enjoying these very very much!

How fun!  I've seen a few of these and love them.  

Two favorites are ones I can't find in their entirety anymore, they just fascinate me in all their glory & kitsch. 

The Eyes Have It hosted by Donna Mills

and 

Welcome to My Home with Brenda Dickson

One of my favorite old movies has a fantastic makeover scene.  Do You Love Me with Maureen O'Hara, **bleep** Haymes and Harry James. 

edited....Oh, for heaven's sake.  Richard Haymes. 

The 1960s vid is amusing. Like there's a shot of a German Shepherd lying on the floor--why? And the model's skin is super greasy looking. LOL

i was thinking she just looked very freshly moisturized. but baby oil is recommended somewhere in the video, i wouldn't be surprised if she's slathered in it !! Smiley Surprised

maybelline 1950s

maybelline 1960s

"even eyes like these" *shows close up of perfectly normal, nice eyes*

marketing to our insecurities may be more insidious these days but i'm grateful it's not this gross and overt.

i still love seeing all the old packaging and applicators and techniques. but sheesh.

In the first one it sounded like trying to hypnotize the viewer. *whispers repeatedly*: maybelline, maybelline, maybelline..." Haha. Thanks for sharing!

I had the exact same thought, spadersgirl!

"even eyes like these"

Drat!  That is my eye look 24/7. 

These are too much fun to watch! Smiley Very Happy Thanks for sharing!

I think i just found a new guilty pleasure... Smiley Wink

the idea of marketing a specific color in black and white is equally confounding. 

and they're supposedly talking about a proper red color here...not a nude or nude-pink.

here is the print ad !

Red doesn't photograph well in B&W unless you use a green filter which will throw other things out of whack.  In 1960 it wasn't worth the extra money to film a commercial in color.  There was very little color programming on TV and even fewer color sets in households.  People would be watching in B&W anyway.

yes i know and understand all of these things ? i'm speaking from a marketing / consumer perspective. that it was entirely about selling idea and vibe a product had to offer, rather than on the products actual merits, much as perfume ads still are.

Right, Jem? Why even bother with a B&W commercial specifically focusing on a red lipstick!

Snow Peach looks about as good as red does on B&W...ha ha.

Could you imagine only having a couple of channels and they were all in B&W?

I love how they sing "Snow Peach" in the background..

I love vintage ads, too.

I originally bought Cherries in the Snow for the history of it. 

Fifth Avenue Red (created in 1958)
Icy Violet; Ultraviolet (created in 1946)
Fire & Ice (created in 1952)
Cherries in the Snow (created in 1953)
Snow Peach (created in 1956)
Jungle Peach (created in 1963)

I want a Futurama now!

and a new lanolite lipstick, too!

I'm hungry and I want to buy makeup at the drugstore. 

108 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • berrybonbon.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • mrclean.gif
  • IMG_0280.JPG