Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

Welcome to the second year of the challenge!

Everyone is welcome to join at anytime. ❤️

Post your used samples daily, weekly, monthly, or whenever you want. Feel free to suggest any sub- challenge ideas.

RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

I’ve been working on these DS for MONTHS. Loved them all. The Glow Recipe Avocado Melt sleep Mask was super Moisturizing and had a fresh, pleasant scent. Did not break me out. I seek out the Moisturizing masks more frequently in winter and will definitely purchase in time for winter. I’ve been loving the Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb for about 2 years. It’s also super Moisturizing. I appreciate that it does not irritate my sensitive skin and eyes. Lightly scented. This was the second time I’ve tried the Ole Henrickson Banana Bright Eye Cream. This time I loved it. Also non-irritating to my sensitive eyes. Definite banana scent (but not an annoying banana scent, IMO). Somehow, this product firms my under eye skin just enough to make a difference.

Re: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

IMG_7958.JPG

I've been working through my FS and some DS samples and haven't been going through as many foils. These were from May.

Spoiler

I finished six this week! Most are repeats. The Living Proof In Shower Styler I loved and have been working on since Deluxe Sample December. For a long time, I thought, “this is silly. Why would I use a product on my hair on days I air dry and don’t need product in my hair?” Then I realized, this is controlling my fly aways perfectly and helping my hair pass for having a ‘do. It’s a keeper. It takes little effort and helps me look put together on days I am NOT put together. I did not love the Sephora Mud Mask. While it did minimize my pores, it really dried my face out and made it feel tight and dehydrated.

Anonymous Insider

I'm going to join in on the challenge a little late. I have a question though... I've had some of my samples for years..like some are 2 + years old. At what point would you just toss them? Thanks 🙂

RE: Re: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

Hi @Anonymous welcome! I guess it would depend on the sample. Most cosmetics and skin care items have preservatives so if they are unopened, the two years would be fine. But some of the natural, fresh ingredients, no preservatives lines might go bad.

Two for two this week! I LOVE Stella by Stella McCartney. It’s one of my fav perfumes. Whenever I see it as a sample choice I scramble to pick it up, although I do have a full size, too. I also LOVED the Farmacy Green Clean. This removed all my eye makeup, even on waterproof mascara days. I was impressed that this balm did not break me out, even though I’m prone to acne and milia under certain conditions. This is a winner that I will purchase.

Just one this week that is new to me: The Supergoop! Sunscreen Daily Moisturizer. It’s spf 40 and I liked it. I thought it was unscented, but my chemically sensitive hubby thought it had a fragrance. It was non greasy and I appreciated that it was on the higher end of daily spf protection ranges (15 and 30 are usually what I see). It did not make me break out and it did not irritate my skin (both are fairly common for my skin). The only reason I am not purchasing is that I’m seeking a mineral spf, not chemical. Just a personal pref. Also worth mentioning, it did not ball up under makeup and I was able to blend it in so a white cast was not visible (although my coloring is porcelain, for what it’s worth).

Re: RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

Which mineral sunscreens have you found work for you @christyrc?

RE: Re: RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

Hi, @ShortErica right now I’m loving Farmacy Green Screen for everyday use. It’s spf 30. For heavy duty outdoor use, especially around water or sweaty conditions, I’m loving MD Solar Sciences spf 50. I’m always on the lookout for good mineral sunscreens!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

Thanks for sharing @christyrc. The Australian Gold Tinted Mineral SPF 50 is just a tad dark and yellow for me. But it applies smoothly and has a matte appearance that I like. The other thing to be cautious about is it needs a bit of dry down time or it will rub off on clothes. Not sure if you've tried that one or not but people of light but not porcelain skin tones tend to have good luck with it on its own and under makeup.

Not a lot of empty foils and samples this month. I spent most of March working through open full size products.

Top row = LOVES  Middle row = Likes  Last row = a Like/Maybe and a MehTop row = LOVES Middle row = Likes Last row = a Like/Maybe and a Meh

Spoiler

Received some samples in the mail (got the Laneige yesterday) and figured I should add these in despite my lackluster start.

20190327_211206.jpg

@ShortErica I love the LANEIGE - Water Sleeping Mask.It is amazing!

Best,

Rebecca

A quick update on the Tatcha Violet C Brightening Serum, which I’ve been using (deluxe samples) for about six weeks. My skin has never looked brighter, dewier, and my skin tone is so even and lovely. My routine is retin-a every other night, and the violet C on the off nights. About three weeks ago I started using DE C Firma in the morning. I am getting so many compliments on my skin. I think I’ve found an HG matchup. However, I am NOT seeing any improvement in age-related hyperpigmentation. So, I will still be searching for the right PM product to help with that (besides the retin-a). But overall, I really do love the violet C. I still love the Naturally Serious Mask and will purchase and I will always love the Belif True Cream Aqua Bomb. It’s been a while since I’ve used the Ole Henriksen banana bright eye cream. My impression this time is that it has excellent firming properties and it really does make a difference with the dark circles under my eyes. The banana scent is A-Ok: not too artificial. More like a fresh, firm banana. This time I did not notice much stinging, which leads me to believe that last time I was using an adjacent product that maybe had alcohol in it? I’ve had good success this week using this product under my makeup. My undereye makeup does not slip away and I think the banana bright acts as a firming primer, which is great. As always, I like the fresh soy face cleanser a lot, but there’s cleansers I like better.

I haven't made much progress but hopefully this will motivate me to get moving in the next few months. X means the product is finished, check mark indicates I'm using it. Comments repeated from Empties 2019 thread.

Skincare:

Foils skincare 2019.03.PNG

SON & PARK - Beauty Water

Spoiler

Makeup:

Foils makeup 2019.03.PNG

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Madeleine

Spoiler

I had time to use a ton of foil samples while on vacay last week. A couple were new to me: LOVED the Volition Snow Mushroom Water Serum. It’s not really new to me, but it’s the first time I’ve used a sample size of it. This is my HG of hydrating serums. I have dry, acne prone, rosacea skin that is sensitive to so many things. This does not irritate or break me out. It’s unscented and it packs a phenomenal, Moisturizing punch. My only complaint is that it does tend to ball up a little, so I only use it on No Makeup days. But I love it and will continue to re purchase. Hated the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence. As far as I can tell, it did not add moisture or any other benefit. It was just an extra step. And honestly, it was an odiferous extra step. I did not like the musty scent. LIKED the Smashbox Photo Finish primer. I haven’t used a primer in over a decade bc they used to break me out. This primer did not break me out. It really did make my foundation last longer in a hot and sticky climate and my foundation looked flawless. Will probably start trying more primer samples in earnest now. LOVED the Naturally Serious Hydra Plumping Mask. Lightly scented. Does not break me out but does add moisture. It’s a five minute mask so that’s great for maskers seeking relief from dryness in a hurry. Will purchase. LIKED the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Pink Juice Moisturizer. But I would not call it a moisturizer if you have dry skin; it’s more like a serum. It’s a thin, gel like consistency that absorbs quickly and has a pleasant, light watermelon scent (surprise!). LIKED the Bare Minerals Gen Nude lip gloss. It’s old school gloss (in a good way). Not exactly tacky, might be better described as tenacious. Has serious staying power and the color worked for me. Unscented. I started this little deluxe sample December 1st and used it five times per week, no joke. This was a huge deluxe sample. Glad I finally finished it!

Re: RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2019

@christyrc Awesome job getting through so many! I hope you had a great time on your vacation!

Best,
Rebecca

Hi, BIC Buddies. A lot of these are repeats, so I will not elaborate on those, but if you have questions, I’m all ears. LIKED the Shiseido Benefiance eye cream. I thought the cream was very rich and Moisturizing, which is something I love in an eye cream. But the fragrance was heavy in my opinion, so I would not purchase. Take away the fragrance and it’s a ten/ten. Sephora Express eye makeup remover wipes were likable. They are a large 3 x 5 inch size and I thought they got all my eye makeup off. But the next morning I did have leftover makeup raccoon eyes. Also, the wipes did not irritate my sensitive eyes and skin, so that was a plus.

My February foils / deluxe samples - mostly loves/likes, no flat out no's this month

IMG_4845.JPG

Spoiler

LOVES

Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream – what can I say about this wonderfully scented cream that has not been said before?! Samples like this size are great for work trips with a quick turnaround.

Ole Henriksen Power Bright 3-Step Treatment – this is professional strength, 3-step brightening system and one of my favorite peels. It contains a high concentration of Vitamin C, does a great job of hydrating my skin and imparting a soft glow to it, and it smells amazing – a lovely blend of honey and citrus. Each set of these pods lasts me about a couple of uses and a box of the Power Bright comes with 6 set of pods. I’ve picked up a couple of boxes from TJ Maxx (each box has 6 of these sets of 3) so I should be set on peels for a while.

AmorePacific Enzyme Treatment Peel – this is the last of my skincare items from the Deluxe December Challenge – yep, it took me a little more than 2-1/2 months to get through this bottle – a little goes a long way. I notice a difference in my skin when I use it, but even more so when I have not used it for a while. I’ve already pulled out my other DS of this beauty.

Mamonde Plum Blossom Lip Sleeping Mask – texture-wise, it’s a hybrid of the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask that I love and the BITE Beauty Agave Lip Mask. I have a full size already and it will definitely be incorporated into the rotation.

Mahalo The PETAL Hydrating Mask – this I liked a lot; I think it could be  Love, but I want to try it again just to make sure it wasn’t just a fluke. It’s hard to describe what exactly this is good at doing other than to say, my skin just looks better after I use it – it’s soft, clear, refreshed and hydrated.

Heimish All Clean Balm – this is a gentle, but effective sherbet cleanser. These pods are great for traveling and the balm itself is quite nice.

MAYBE

Whamisa Organic Flowers Deep Rich Essence Toner – it’s a more viscous than most toners but still light and it is quite hydrating. I can see myself repurchasing this one, possibly a full size, but much later in the year – I have a drawer full of essence and toners that I want to get through first, but this one will be worth considering once I’ve made a dent in what I have.

SexyHair Love Oil Moisturizing Oil – I like the subtle citrusy scent to this oil and that it makes my hair silky and smooth. It’s a ‘maybe’ because I just need to get through some of the other hair products I have.

MEHIt’s not you, it’s me

Fresh Sugar Nourishing Lip Balm Advance Therapy – this isn’t a bad lip balm, there are just other Fresh lip balms I’d reach for before this one – the peach one, the caramel one, the new mint balm, just to name a few. 😉

Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Rescue Mask – there’s a spa-like cucumber scent to this mask that I like very much; I also like that this mask, like many Fresh masks, can be worn for as little as 5 minutes – that’s helpful for those mornings when I’m in a hurry to get out the door (probably more days than not). What I could do without though with this mask are the lotus seeds in the mask that are there to aid in exfoliation.

Oh my sounds like another lip product in the cart (Mamonde Plum) @itsfi @Thank you😄 You went through the AP amazingly fast good for you! Can’t blame you, the scent is so lovely 🌿

@eshoe, the Mamonde Plum Blossom is a nice one! 🙂 I was bummed when I finished the sample pod. For the most part, I used the AP peel every morning for about 10 or 11 weeks.

Conversation Stats
Photos62
  • 669302DA-6E6B-4363-8788-37610AFE4AD1.jpeg
  • 347A1926-E2EE-4A96-9C44-42C99DB63F4E.jpeg
  • 20190105_221617.jpg
  • 20190105_221417.jpg
  • IMG_3915.JPG
  • 3327F8A8-5C50-4D92-8C84-0B69A6AD3494.jpeg
  • I think I liked the FAB radiance pads, I didn't see an adverse reaction when using them, but I also didn't dig into the ingredients. Love Beste, I've gone through multiple full sized bottles and was glad to have these back ups on hand when I ran out. Protini is nice but it wasn't as moisturizing as I need. Fell in love with the Tatacha primer, enjoyed the Melt Into Moisture Matcha hair mask, and the KVD super brow worked well but I wouldn't purchase because I prefer beow pencils.
  • Mostly skincare. The GlamGlow should probably be posted in the Empties thread instead of here since it's a mini and not a foil or DS. Oops.
testing