cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

* 11-27-18, last update for the year! *

Hi everyone, We are almost to the last month of our challenge, time flew by fast! For December, sonnydee, scott1201, and eshoe have an idea for a sub challenge called “Deluxe December” Use up as many deluxe samples as you wish! As always, post your progress weekly, or end of the month- whenever you want- including foil samples too. Thanks to all contributors, (anyone can participate at any time). ❤️

Happy New Year! The end of my 2018 resolution appears to be successful. Tried 10 samples last week for the end of year totals of 683 tried and451 received. I do have about 8 deluxe samples that I am stilling using.I highly recommend using your samples/foils/ gift with purchases as you will discover new products to purchase, products that work well on vacation, and discover that with all the samples out there that you don't ever need to purchase a facial cleanser. Thank you for following my adventure and for keeping me honest. ❤️

Re: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

I have enjoyed seeing all of your samples and am amazed at your determination in this challenge @CorgiMommy! Very fun 🙂

And my Deluxe December update

I know there's a new thread for the year but this is from 2018 so I'll keep it here. My One Hit Wonders outcome. this is from last 2 weeks

RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

I crushed ten deluxe samples during the December sub challenge. I’m still working on 8 more. Actually threw one away halfway through bc I got so frustrated with it. Let’s call it a de clutter. It was the Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Birthday Suit. Went on like a gloss but looked like a matte after drying down. I really tried to finish it, even tho the color was a little too brown for my skin tone. It wore unevenly, leaving lots of color around the edges of my lips and zero color at the center (maybe wearing off with drinks?). Plus it was kind of drying. I just couldn’t do it. Anyway, LOVED the DE Sukari Babyfacial and it will be my first purchase in 2019. I NEED to use it once a week to keep looking fresh. It is OTC AHA/BHA perfection. LIKED the Sephora eye makeup remover: gentle, did not sting eyes. Thought the blue was kinda gimmicky. I like a couple other brands better, so won’t purchase. LIKED the Fresh Rose Face Mask. Smells nice, lightly hydrating, using a mask is always relaxing no matter what. But there are masks I like better that actually DO things. LIKE the Bite Agave Lip Mask. After using it several times per day for a month I realized it’s not my HG. Likeable, but not HG. Herbivore Pink Cloud Moisturizer, LIKED. Heavy cream and very Moisturizing. Has almost a waxy feel after a few hours and I did not care for the waxy feel. LIKED the Prescriptives Super Line Preventor. I used this the entire decade of my twenties and the scent took me back. It’s more of a primer IMO than a serum. This time around I did not feel like it did anything positive for my foundation, in fact my foundation wore off more quickly. AND no lines were prevented, as far as I can tell. Oh well. So much for cosmetic nostalgia. I have loved putting all my samples to such good use in 2018. I’m making serious progress and saving tons of money by not purchasing products until I’m out of the samples. @angel7594 will you repeat the challenge in 2019? I, for one, would love it.

Re: RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

Hi @christyrc!! I will be posting the new 2019 thread tomorrow!! Thank you for joining in the challenge. ❤️

Yay @angel7594!!! Thank you, 💗 this thread😄

Used a couple foils and thought I would share:

Bio-Peel+ Gauze Peeling Lemon

20181221_204034.jpg20181221_204039.jpg20181221_204328.jpg

My skin was slightly pink after use. I assume it did an okay job at exfoliation. Maybe because I was distracted by the pink, I wasn't wowed by any brightening or skin benefits. So just okay. I'd maybe try it again but I am not going out of my way to find it if you catch my drift.

Tata Harper Illuminating Moisturizer

20181122_101315.jpg20181122_101323.jpg

I don't know how in the world this is classified as a moisturizer. The consistency was very runny. I used it sparingly and still it had the effect of IT Cosmetics Illuminating CC Cream - Edward Cullen sparkle in sunlight - which is not something I desire. So in the words of Randy Jackson:download.jpg

I hope to use more foils in 2019. I don't have as many as some people but they sure add up fast!

Last week’s samples:FE60E1ED-9C26-406D-9127-F130C0AED01F.jpeg

Updated DS Challenge:Only the Origins, bkr, ABH & Kopari to go!Only the Origins, bkr, ABH & Kopari to go!

Spoiler
I will finish the bkr and Origins today. The other two, definitely not. That’s ok, I’m very happy to have these out of my hands finally!

Almost to the end of the year. I tried only 5 samples this week, however, they were all deluxe samples. YTD totals are 673 tried and 451 received. Everything used this week was repeated early in the year expect the face mask. The mask was good but not unlike other clay masks. Will post the final totals next week as I will end the year having successfully completed my 2018 New Year's resolution. I highly recommend trying to use your samples , I have discovered many new brands I love, know what samples to take on vacation, and had a lot of fun doing this.

awesome job👏 @CorgiMommy, I've been trying to kill my st...

awesome job👏 @CorgiMommy, I've been trying to kill my stash of one hit wonders (samples I only have 1 of) just the 2 months of nov & dec. I've gotten bored, miss my hgs. So I dont know how you did it ALL year

Congratulations!  You had a great year, @CorgiMommy!

It is with great joy I present to no one in particular, my completed 10 by 10/10 DS! Both Herbivore products were part of Sephora Favorites sets from last year and I am beyond happy to finish them. If you want your money’s worth, these will last and last and last😉541F3C94-8E5B-440A-9754-B1A399396256.jpeg

(along with a lone Deluxe December LP that I cheated and used as shower gel as it just didn’t agree with my hair).

RE: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

Still working on lots of deluxe samples. Liked the Supergoop spf 45 setting powder. Sadly, the days I wore it were very overcast so I don’t know how much extra protection it provided but it’s a very nice setting powder. Loved the Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation Perfecting Moisturizer. I loved the lightweight gel moisturizer feel of it, but it was very Moisturizing like a heavier cream might be. Did not mess up my acne prone, sensitive skin. It’s a definite contender. Loved the Amika Soul Food Nourishing Mask. Very Moisturizing. I’ve already purchased a full size. Unfortunately, my dear hubby says the scent is too strong so it won’t be a repurchase. 😭 Sunday Riley CEO. Love it. Moisturizing and brightening. I experienced no redness, irritation, only beautiful, glowy skin. Right now, though, I think I love the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum more than the CEO, so that will be the one I purchase when I run out of vitamin C product samples.

I feel your pain @christyrc! I love Hermès Twilly perfume, as well as Jo Malone Nectarine & Honey Blossom but they make my family 🤧. Such a bummer, I tried to wear them only while out and about, but since we all travel in the same car...it didn’t work. So sorry. I totally understand.

The skincare, hair care, bath & body and makeup portion of my Deluxe December challenge - 

IMG_3521.JPG

Spoiler
I really like the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. I picked up FS of both during the 20% off sale. My hair does feel less dry and more moisturized (and stay feeling that way during the day) when I've used these two products. Thumbs up for these two!  The other two products were just okay for me. The Ouai Leave-In Conditioner is not bad, but I have leave-ins or hair masks that I use as leave-in conditioner that I like more. I initially thought the spray nozzle dispenser would be something I loved but it turned out to be less useful for me than I had hoped. Likewise, the Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste wasn't bad, but it didn't make me want to ditch my current toothpaste.

Now,  in terms of where I am with the rest of the Deluxe December samples for these categories, I think I'm pretty much done.
IMG_3278.JPG
The First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration has been working well as a body moisturizer and there's a good chance I'll be able to finish it up by the end of the year. The makeup items, on the other hand, I have yet to open. I haven't been wearing much makeup; just concealer and lip balm unless I have an event to attend or a work meeting and, then I have just reached for the makeup that is in my bag instead of these samples.    

Foils and DS December update 😉FE3D31FD-5C28-466A-BDEC-25870E9BFF9D.jpeg

Spoiler
Top row all loves. I’m lazily in the hunt for a way to protect my skin from the sun, and the Milk did it well, although the color was a bit off.

The CT is an awesome formula and consistency, has the right blend of primer and highlighter, just not for me. The Kilian is fun and I’m so glad I was able to sample it, it’s just not for me but it’s a great pillowy-cotton candy scent.

The Biossance was fine, as was the belif but nothing I would repurchase. The LP had no effect on my hair whatsoever. The SK-II, I don’t know; my skin just doesn’t need it and didn’t benefit from adding it in to my routine. I know it works for many, I’m kinda thankful it didn’t work for me though 😂

RE: Re: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

@eshoe if your looking for sunscreen choices I recommend Murad SPF 50 and Peter Thomas Roth SPF 45. They are both all mineral sunscreens(not chemical) and have a slight tint to them so that it doesnt leave a white cast like most mineral sunscreens do. I am a light medium skin tone and both work well for me. Ive heard the color in the Peter Thomas Roth doesnt work well for fair skin though. I hope you are able to find one that works well for you soon. I am a big advocate for sun protection to protect all the work I put into my skin during my nighttime skincare routine.

Re: RE: Re: Use Your Foil Samples Challenge 2018

Thank you for the recommendations @uzi1234! I totally agree, all that time spent caring for your skin at night (and once in awhile, the A.M.) deserves to be protected👍🏼😊

Deluxe December update - skincare

IMG_3519.JPG

Spoiler
I started out the Deluxe December challenge thinking I'd focus my skincare on AmorePacific and Laneige products and the Tarte Knockout. I decided to set aside the Laneige since I have FS of all three and know how I feel about them.  The AP products are really nice - these are the 4 I've finished and I won't be able to finish up the other DS AmorePacific treats.  

Thoughts on Finished Items
Spoiler
AmorePacific Vintage Single Extract Essence - this was the first of the DS AP items I finished. I used it all up in the first 10 days, but that's only because after day 2, I started rationing it. This stuff is good; really good. I have at least one more DS of this essence, maybe 2. There's a very good chance I'll pick up a full size of this during the spring Rouge sale; if I haven't picked it up before then, that is. 😉 

AmorePacific The Essential Creme Fluid is such a lightweight, thin moisturizer. Texture-wise, it is a bit runny, but it moisturized my skin more than I thought it would; I just wore this in the daytime and finished the DS early last week. Since this one so light and thin, I add a drop of the AmorePacific Radiance Oil to it before applying it to my face. My skin is dehydrated-dry right now and the fluid is too light and thin for me to wear on its own during the colder months. I can see this Creme Fluid working very well for me in the summer when my skin is more dehydrated combo. For those with normal-to-oily or oily skin, this one might be a nice year-round moisturizer.

AmorePacific Moisture Bound Rejuvenating Serum feels like a light gel-cream when I first pump it out but has more of a serum consistency once I warm it up in the palm of my hands and apply it to my face. I used this morning and night and finished the DS earlier this week. It's a nice product but I don't think I would pay $100 for the full size, primarily because I feel like there are similarly hydrating serums out there that work just as well if not better and are a fraction of the price of the AP serum.  

AmorePacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Recovery Masque - I feel the same way about this sleeping mask as I do the AP Moisture Bound serum - they're good, solid products but not so great (for my skin during the winter) for me to categorize as must haves. This sleeping mask would be nice in the spring / summer where its lightweight-but-hydrating properties would be perfect.
Status of other Deluxe December Challenge Skincare Products
Spoiler
IMG_3276.JPG
I'm halfway through the AmorePacific Moisture Bound Skin Energy Hydration Delivery System and love it enough to purchase a FS once I finish this DS, and the other 3 DS of this item I have filed away.  I'm 1/4 of the way through the AmorePacific Treatment Enzyme Peel and  about 1/3 through the AmorePacific Botanical Radiance Oil. I'm only 1/4 of the way through the peel because there were at least 2 instances where I inadvertently poured out more than I should or needed; otherwise, I'd probably only be maybe a 1/4 of the way through it; a little goes a long way.  The enzyme peel I will purchase a full size at some point, but I know that won't be for a while as I have at least one other DS this size and an even larger DS one in the house. 
2 Replies
testing