Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Urban Decay Build your own Palette

Okay who has this item and what do you think of it? I love Urban Decay and have been using their shadows for years. I have a book of shadows and the Ammo palette and have been holding off on Naked and Naked 2 because I've never been able to use up every single color in a palette. I'm drawn to this custom made palette but realize that its costly. To buy the palette and fill it up would set me back about 120 bucks with tax *but* I would have a palette with the colors that I would actually use up. I also realize that I could just buy a few single shadows and not even bother with the clunky palette....what do you guys think? Genius or waste of money?

Re: Urban Decay Build your own Palette

buck looks good too...

Okay these are the colors I'm interested in on my next trip to Sephora: Walk of Shame, Sin, Mauwie Wowie, Tease, Naked, Suspect, Sellout and Buck. Thats 8 colors that I need to condense into 6.

I really wish that the palette didnt already come with a color. I would rather have a cheaper palette than a random highlighter color thrown in for me.

Can the color that comes with the palette be removed if you don't want to keep it in there when you buy it? I think you would really like Naked and Buck.  The matte shades are very natural looking, and Buck makes a good liner, too.  Best of luck narrowing it down!  I know it's just two shades to kick out, but it could be a hard choice.

It can be removed, but it doesnt come with its own case. We'll see if I like that color or not. If it turns out to be a great highlighter, then awesome. If not, then I have to take it out, put it in a case that used to belong to another single shade, and spend another 18 bucks getting my own highlighter color. (Virgin or Vanilla. I heard that Foxy disappears on lighter skin tones). Its getting pricier and pricier...well...my birthdays next month. Maybe I can ask for the palette Smiley Very Happy I think its going to be a lot easier when I'm actually in the store swatching out the colors, but just looking at online shades makes it really hard. I dont want more than 6 colors, that really is the perfect amount for me. If I wanted more than that, I would just get the naked palettes.

That sounds like an awesome birthday gift! Smiley Very Happy  Before I got back into the neutrals (I wore neutrals mainly in high school), I tried looking for a small neutral palette since I was mainly into the brights UD offered.  I couldn't find one I like and I ended up with the Naked palette.  I honestly didn't think I would find a way to use all the shades in it, but I was wrong lol.  The only two I don't use that much as the gray/black shades Creep and Gunmetal.  Oil Slick in my Ammo palette doesn't really get used, either. 

Virgin is an amazing highlight color lol.  Sorry I've said that a million times lol.  Whenever you do create the palette, you need to post it on here.  It sounds like it'll be a mini version of a Naked palette.  UD may need to pay you for the inspiration for a mini palette!

Palettes are pretty and there's always new one's coming out, but single shadows are a better match for me. With singles, I get the colors that I know I will use and I always use them up completely, so even if they are 20 bucks a piece or more, I dont care because it doesnt go to waste. Oh I will absolutely post a pic of it on here, I cant wait! Thats exactly what I wanted to do, make my own naked palette. I like brights but I dont wear them as often as the neutrals, neutrals are just easier/less time consuming. With bright colors I have to be able to take my time and blend things out, whereas a champagne neutral color can just be thrown on lashline to browbone and it looks just as polished as if I had spend 15 minutes blending it with different brushes.

I've made sort of a new rule for myself......a few weeks ago I bought my new plastic drawer set too keep my makeup in...and its starting to get pretty full....so the rule is....if it doesnt fit into this organizer, I dont need it. Because I am not going out and getting a new organizer...I love this one too much!

whole.jpg

Okay I wanted to see vanilla and virgin side by side. Pics are from google and bing images. Virgin looks like it has too much yellow in it, but I have yellow undertones.....I'll just have to swatch them in store!

I wish I could somehow remove Vanilla from my UD 15 palette and send it to you lol.  I like it, but it's too shimmery for certain looks I create with the palette. 

Virgin it is then! I just looked at my UD book of shadows (vol 1) palette...and it looks like I have to postpone getting the build your own for awhile because it has a handful of really great neutrals plus a lot of great darker colors that will be perfect for fall. It even has a color thats super similar to freelove, its called scandal.

ud.jpg

From the pictures, Scandal does look like a good dupe for Freelove!  Last Call, Smog, Goddess, and Protest look like excellent Fall shades.  I spy Sidecar!  That is my favorite shade from my Naked Palette, and I wish they sold it as a single.  It may be the first to be used up in my palette.  I may have to find a dupe for Protest.  I love using greens with neutrals, but my Kat Von D Truth palette's greens are much too bright for the neutrals lol.  You have an excellent set of neutrals in that palette. 

Now I know why I've been "ignoring" my book of shadows....its too pretty to use! I have to put it in my weekly makeup rotation!

I went to Sephora today to pick up a couple of things (very excited) and have decided that that is going to be my last purchase for awhile.

However, if I end up getting a Sephora giftcard for my birthday next month, then I'll start my build your own collection.

I've decided on.....

1. walk of shame

2. sellout

3.sin

4. maui wowie

5. naked

Still on the fence about the 6th slot.

Okay what is the deal? The build your own palette is no longer sold at Sephora in store, Sephora online or UD online.

Is it already discontinued?

Curses!

What?!  I received an email about a week or two ago about the new smaller palettes they were going to offer.  It would have 4 slots instead of 6 for those who may not want the bigger option. 

I know that they released a couple of quad palettes, but they seem to have removed the 6 shadow palette. I dont like the quads, it already comes with a shadow which means that I can only get 3 more colors and I can get a really good neutral quad pretty much everywhere now for a lot less than what this quad would cost me. I dont want to spend 80 bucks or more on 3 single shadows and an empty quad...I would rather pay a little more and get the 6 slots.

I'm intruiged by the MAC build your own palettes....and they have SO MANY lighter neutral colors! Wayyyy more than UD it seems like! But I dont know whether the quality of MAC powder shadows measures up to UD.

I think that MAC shadows are equal to UD in quality, as long as you get the singles or Pro Pan singles. I have been disappointed with the quality of some of their palettes in the latest collections. They don't have the staying power or pigmentation of the singles.

MAC shadows cost the same as UD, and its every makeup artists staple brand but the 3 MAC items that I do own..I'm not too happy with. But they sure do have the best color selection for all of their makeup!

i like the creaminess of the UD formula better than MAC BUT they have some really awesome matte neutral shades and it is cheaper than UD singles....

I just read this whole thread and i think you should just pick single shades you really like and not worry about the palette until you have enough shades to fill one. I also like the shade mushroom and secret service, have you seen those? Smiley Happy

I think I'll email UD directly and see what they say. If they are coming out with a better palette, then I'll wait. I want something thinner, less clunky anyway (like the MAC palettes). I hate the "pop up" aspect of the palette, and there's so much wasted space in there.

jxw200--Thats exactly how I wanted to do it. Get the colors first, then the palette because seeing those empty slots would drive me bananas.

@sephoramusthave  If emailing them doesn't work, contact them through their Facebook page if you have a Facebook.  If they don't answer you at first, there may be another person in FB land that may have some answers. 

Okay UD answered my email. They said that the 6 slot build your own is a limited edition product so when its gone, its gone for good BUT they did say that they will be coming out with MORE build your own palettes, and in all different sizes. They didnt say whether the palette will be the same format as the current ones (pop ups, bulky) or something new...so I will probably email them one more time and see what they say about that. If a new and improved build your own palette comes out, I want to wait for that instead of getting this one.

They were limited edition?  I thought they were a part of the permanent line, especially since they redesigned the single eyeshadow packaging.  It seems like brands are doing more and more limited edition items. 

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 73 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos2
  • whole.jpg
  • ud.jpg