Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

Hey everyone! After being inspired by @KatieBT 's thread on Vegan Beauty, I thought that it was time to create a thread dedicated to Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty. Sephora has really embraced the demand for more Clean and Vegan Beauty products, and I personally couldn't be more pleased! Whether you are a seasoned pro, or just dipping your toe into the world of Vegan Beauty, I think a place to connect is quite necessary. 

Are you looking for a cruelty-free alternative to a holy grail product? Is there a brand you swear by, or have just recently discovered? Is there a brand that you think needs to be on Sephora's radar? Do you have a favorite (cruelty free or vegan) influencer or blogger?This is the place to share!

While Vegan and Cruelty-Free are not always mutually exclusive, there do more often than not intersect. I will be sharing some of my favorites here, as well as my trusted resources for CF approved brands, and would love to hear from YOU too! Let's get this conversation started! 

Here are some of my trusted resources for vegan brands available at Sephora! They are constantly updated, which is key. They also have shopping guides for other stores, and lots of information on cruelty-free brands that aren't totally vegan. 

https://logicalharmony.net/cruelty-free-brands-at-sephora/

https://ethicalelephant.com/vegan-makeup-sephora/https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/cruelty-free-sephora-brands/https://veganista.co/2019/04/01/these-brands-at-sephora-are-actually-vegan-and-cruelty-free/

RE: The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

Just got this email this morning! I love that more brands are transitioning to being more vegan friendly, or in this case totally vegan! Props to you @bitebeauty!

Re: RE: The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

@unfungirl This is so exciting! 

Best,

Rebecca

I wish the Sephora would add vegan as an ingredient preference in their search options.

I just noticed that the new ABH Norvina pigment palette is totally vegan! This is their first fully vegan palette, and that makes me excited for what’s to come!

Re: The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

It seems many folks (including some close friends of mine looking for vegan makeup) don’t know Charlotte Tilbury has several vegan products, or that her entire product line is cruelty-free. CT doesn’t test on animals, pay for third party animal testing, or sell their products in countries that require animal testing. 

For a full list of Charlotte Tilbury’s vegan makeup offerings, visit CT direct /us/products/makeup/vegan-friendly (you can also just go to CT direct and search for “vegan”). Products include some shades of K.I.S.S.I.N.G., Hot Lips, and Superstar Lips lipsticks,  Cheek to Chic blush, Magic Away concealer, Hollywood Flawless Filter, Airbrush Flawless Finish powder, Magic Foundation, 4-pan Luxury eyeshadow palettes, Lip Cheat liners, and plenty of other things. 

My current favorite mascara, Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes Volume 2 Mascara Black Vinyl Vol 2 , is both vegan and cruelty-free. It gives me great length and volume without smudging, flaking, or eye irritation. It does tend to dry in the tube quicker than I’d like—but if you wear mascara more frequently than I do, that might not be a problem for you. 🙂 

FYI, in the Pat McGrath thread (here on BIC), I tested CT LLv2 against Pat’s mascara. I love me some PMG but Charlotte won this contest for me. For each coat of CT mascara, I needed 1.5 - 2 coats of PMG mascara to get similar results. 

Go on, try to find ‘em. :DGo on, try to find ‘em. 😄CT Legendary Lashes Vol. 2 vs. PMG FetishEyes; top lashes only.CT Legendary Lashes Vol. 2 vs. PMG FetishEyes; top lashes only.

RE: Re: The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

@WinglessOne yes!! I was pleasantly surprised when I found out CT was cruelty free, and had so many vegan options! Thanks so much for your response! I also love her mascaras, and I wear her lip cheats often on their own as they are such a comfortable formula. I really want to try her kohl eyeliner and concealers next.

@WinglessOne   You've convinced me!!!  Thanks so much for sharing!  I have one eye that has astigmatism, so it sticks out more than the other.  I finally realized that was why my lashes always appeared shorter on that eye!  They weren't really, just looked like it because my eyeball pushed them down.  So, the CT mascara looks like it would help me make my lashes look more even.  Silly thing to worry about, but it's annoyed me for years. lol

@Ispend2much6  Glad I could help! That’s an astigmatism issue I’d never thought of. It’s not silly, it’s actually kinda interesting. If you try the CT mascara, I hope it gives you the result you want. 🙂 

My makeup-related eye issue, aside from irritation caused by most mascaras, is my worsening vision. Around age 45, my eyes went from lifelong myopia to “why can’t I read medicine bottle labels anymore? When did I become farsighted? What is going on?!” 😄 My left eye’s always been stronger than my right, but now my right eye’s so bad, I need at least a 10x mirror to do any eye makeup on my closed left lid—and I can’t get very close to the mirror or everything goes blurry. Ah, the joys of aging! 

@WinglessOne   I can relate.  I never used to poke my eye with my mascara wand, but it happens regularly now. 🙂

Excited to see this thread @unfungirl !

Are any Community members interested in vegan product guides? 

Anonymous Insider

Yes please @KatieBT !!!!  🙂

Yes please @katieBT. 😊

Yes please @KatieBT. 😊

RE: Re: The Vegan and Cruelty-Free Beauty Thread <3

Thanks @KatieBT! I’m going to post some of my favorite resources for vegan and cruelty free brands tonight. Logical harmony has a special section just for Sephora, but I think a vegan product guide would be excellent as well!

I'd love to see a seal like the clean at Sephora one for vegan products. So products that are both clean and vegan would display both on their page. Would make it even easier to identify... @KatieBT 

@veronika23  - Exactly!  It would make some of the time spent researching a product easier - especially if in store and its a new brand or a brand new to you. @KatieBT 

@unfungirl   Hello there!!!

There are three types of products that I have not found in a vegan/clean formula that I really like: mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner.  As far as mascara goes, the ones I have tried either don't add much to my lashes or flake; the lipsticks tend to be shades that just look off to me, and eyeliners don't last.  I haven't tried every brand, so I am still hopeful there are some that will work for me.

Do you have any recommendations for me?  Thanks!!!

@Ispend2much6  I know much love has been given to Hourglass Caution mascara but I must give love to their Film Noir mascara -- It is my hands down favorite mascara and I only carry Caution for travel.  For me, it is about the wand shape with my hooded eyes.  It stays put until I take it off.  Also, just FYI most of Hourglass' line is vegan and they are in the process of becoming completely vegan by the end of the upcoming year.  I love their lip gloss but they have several different lipstick formulas with a wide range of shades to try.  Also, BITE is vegan and CF.  Marc Jacobs Gel Liners are great - they are CF but not vegan.  

@MCSSavvy i forgot about the bite lipsticks! the amuse bouche are some of my favorite lippies, and i have quite a few! i love their whole line actually. 

and yes to hourglass transitioning to be completely vegan!! i have amassed quite a collection of hourglass products, and have been impressed with every purchase. i just picked up one of their new glosses, and i am in love! 

@unfungirl  -- I love BITE's agave lip mask.  I also adore the Cava shade - it is a true neutral for me.  I have a few other shades but I always go back to Cava.  I picked up several agave masks last year during the sale and rouge event - hoping they will do the same this year.  Also... LOVE, love, love to hear that you love the Unreal Lipgloss.  Honestly, I can't believe I already have 7 shades and I still want more...love the formula.  I hope Hourglass expands that line.  I'm also slowly amassing more Hourglass products - I have a few blushes, the Vanish liquid foundation, the mascaras,  arch brow collection in a few shades and of course, the glosses.  I am waiting for the holiday palette to pick up some of the finishing / lighting powders.

@MCSSavvy  the lip mask was the first product i ever tried from bite, and it's still a favorite of mine after all these years! i also grabbed several during the half off sale.

i really like cava too, but it pulls really greige on me, but it works! i wear pepper and sake a lot too, they are both the perfect MLBB. 

i only have one of the HG glosses so far (Ignite), but i have many on my wishlist. do you have a favorite shade? i have my eye on Solar and Provoke next.

Their holiday palettes are amazing! I have the old school blush palette, several blushes and powders, and the veil primer and powder, among a few others. I often just wear the mood light ambient powder in lieu of foundation and love how it makes my skin look. It's so nice to have high end products available that are still CF (and even vegan!)

28 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 129 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos4
  • Go on, try to find ‘em. :D
  • CT Legendary Lashes Vol. 2 vs. PMG FetishEyes; top lashes only.
testing