From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential

The Ultimate Beauty Hack Thread: Share your tips and tricks!

Anna2BT_0-1657902607262.jpeg

Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a fresh face in the beauty scene, we could all use a tip or trick (or two) to help us navigate the world of beauty. So BIC, what are your best beauty “hacks”?

One of my favorite hacks is for hair – as someone who has colored hair year-round, (sorry, I just can’t resist a good balayage!) my hair is usually prone to dryness, especially at the ends. So when it comes to drying my hair post-shower, I actually don’t use a towel at all! To avoid friction from rubbing my hair on a towel, I gently squeeze out the water and let it air dry when I can. On days I feel like I need an extra boost with drying, I’ll use a soft t-shirt to gently dry my hair. Since using this method, my hair has been less frizzy, smoother, and I even feel it’s helped me with reducing split ends! 😊

What’s a beauty tip you love to use in your life? Share your knowledge in the thread below! Add all your hacks, tips, and tricks on anything beauty-related (aka makeup, fragrance, hair, skincare, nails, etc.).

Re: The Ultimate Beauty Hack Thread: Share your tips and tricks!

If I have a nail that needs a slight filing, I use the ridges on the sides of a water bottle cap as an emery board if I don't have one handy.

@greeneyedgirl107 that's a handy trick!  I'm ALWAYS getting a little nail snag.

Such a cool nail emergency tip @greeneyedgirl107 ! I love it!!

@greeneyedgirl107  I am definitely going to try this! I would have never thought of that! 

@PrettyPaint I use Kirkland brand, if that helps!  Lol

Oldest tip, one I got from a makeup artist in some beauty mag as a teen, which was then our primary source for makeup wisdom outside of family:

However pale your skin or shy of color you are, you can wear bright or deep blusher. Just first dip your blush brush lightly into your face powder, tap off excess, then dip into your powder blush. It will blend beautifully and shouldn't be clownish; build up as needed to get your glow perfected. This is even more effective if the area has been lightly powdered already. I usually follow up with a little more powder too-- we're talking very sheer layers here, it doesn't get cakey if tapping off excess. This works for every color of blush. It was a great hack in my early makeup life, more so now that blushers are so highly pigmented.  I do it most every time, and it's great for blending in your bronzer or highlights that are a little too sparkly. When I was younger, it was also considered that "good cheekbones" deserved bright blush. I say all cheekbones deserve it! The idea that everyone's skin can only look good in one or two shades is pure bosh, IMO.

I've always loved deep plums, berries, purples, and bright blush and never feared to wear them on my super pale face, b/c I had this trick in my makeup bag. Never seen anyone do this on YT or any tutorial, so I thought I'd share it. Seems small but makes a big difference. Thank you, MUA whose name I cannot remember after 40-something years!

Great tip @heavyhedon  thanks for sharing!

This is a great tip @heavyhedon ! Thank you for sharing!! 

That's a good tip, @heavyhedon! I'm going to try it.

Hair Hacks

👩‍🦳 I always put dry shampoo into my hair immediately after blow drying. It prevents my hair from getting oily. IGK First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo 6.3 oz/ 288 mL 

I use about 6 1” round brushes gripped vertically in my hair (heated with a dryer) to achieve a bouncy bombshell blowout (brushed out after cooled down). I set it in place with Pureology Style + Protect Volumizing Texture Finishing Hairspray 5 oz/ 142 g 

🧴I use Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme 3.3 oz/ 100 mL as a finishing product. No, it will not make your hair greasy, use sparingly. It is life changing. Emulsify between your hands and run through your mids and ends, gets rid of any flyaways, frizz and defines your style. 

@GG84 I love it when you give hair tips!  I feel like you're the hair expert here 🙂

I only use Olaplex right after a highlight.  I think it's overpriced and overhyped.  I hate K18.  I only use Amika, I switch better The Kure, Color Lock Bust your Brass and Velveteen in winter. I think the Kure line with the mask is far better and cheaper.  I always use a microfiber towel.  If I do dry, I use Amila's hair styler brush or a diffuser if I am leaving in curly.  But always low heat.  And I always use a good heat protectant, either Amika The Wizard or Anti Humidity Spray or Bumble and Bumble invisible oil spray.  I never wear it in a tight bun.  I will put the hair in a ponytail, but just in my hand, no elastic.  Then I wrap until I can a security place a small claw clip under to secure.  No breakage.  Also, a satin pillowcase, or silk wrap.  I never wash more than twice a week. The less you wash the better.  And a good clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks.  I use Bumble and Bumble.  Sometimes we need a little sufates in our hair and the clarifying shampoo will solve that problem.  Otherwise products should be paraben sulfate free.  The less heat the better.  Inside of using a curling iron, do robe curls or get the Octocurl on Amazon.  Robe curls are much easier.  Octocurl gives better results but it takes many tries to master it.

@Anna2BT Great tips ! I will try the dry shampoo trick. My skin is very oily so my hair gets oily fast!

Skincare Tips that everyone does not follow No makeup when asleep

Removing the makeup prior to going for sleep is truly a gateway for a healthier and glowing skin . While going to sleep you should prepare yourself for the relaxation by having it cleaned and moisturized so that it absorbs in the skin and helps with all the day pollution, clearing of pores, etc. Note that when you treat your skin gently, it’s a great way to maintain it.

Healthy diet leads to healthy skin

The food that you digest plays vital role in the overall health of the skin. This means whatever you eat reflects back on the skin so eating healthy food can be a secret to a glowing and flawless skin. The better option is to eat plenty of fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, and vegetables. When you eat healthy, your skin glows. You must be aware of the food and it’s effect on the face. Note that when you eat healthy, it helps in promoting the younger looking skin. Additionally, Water has been defined as a solution to almost every trouble. So take care of the hydration in your body. The more you drink, the more is the water glow seen on the face.

Invest in quality makeups rather than brands

Investing in the qualitative skincare can be a secret to a beautiful and glowing skin. When making use of the skincare products that comprises anti-inflammatory ingredients, this is something that optimizes the skin barrier. Further, assisting in reducing the chronic inflammation that may happen due to the airbone pollution. Products that carries chemicals should be avoided as these may damage the skin. 

@whatsthetrend93 oh yes 100% remove all make up before bed, excellent tip! I feel you @Mellmars1185 when I was younger I would not always take the time at night to remove it all, but now if I don't take the time I can see the difference it makes to my skin in the morning.

Thankyou for appreciating. Hope this helps and more at whatsthe-trend . com

@whatsthetrend93 Thank you for the wonderful tips. I definitely can agree with removing makeup before bed. When i was younger I would forget and always wonder why I would have issues with my skin!

I would like to add more. Following the makeup removal, also please make sure you ice your face. Icing freshens-up the skin and you will feel all the glow you may be looking for.. More at whatsthe-trend . com

Not really a tip; but I always found my makeup application went smoothly and better when I was not rushed; so really take your time to do your makeup and adjust the time when starting to apply your skincare/makeup routine so that you’ll arrive in time to wherever you are going. I use this time as my “zen” time to really relax as well @Anna2BT 

There is a lot of great advice on here already! One beauty hack that is a try and true for me might be know already but here it is. To get Mascara that has hit your eyelids after your eye makeup is on take the brush of your eyebrow pencil and brush the traces away. It takes the little blacks marks off without Disturbing your eye make up underneath, just make sure that the marks are dry first than flack them off. I hope

this helps someone out there that didn’t know this one yet ☺️

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • Anna2BT_0-1657902607262.jpeg
testing