Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Travel Beauty Thread

(January 2023) Thought I’d resurrect this thread, now that there’s a bit more possibility of travel these days! I would love to live vicariously and learn from fellow BICers, so please post any tips, pics, and/or your fave travel minis or routine!  I’m still not doing a lot of travel these days, but may post some pics and notes from past trips.  💗💗💗

—————

Since the old travel thread sadly got lost in the switchover (😢😢😢) it was suggested a while back, and I’ve been meaning to get a new one started. If there is one already for this, let me know. I travel a bit for work and for fun, and I love checking out beauty stores and seeking out exclusive or hard-to-find items in different places around the world. Some of my favorite makeup destinations have been the Face Powder and Perfume Museum in Torino, Italy (a surprise find) and the Les Merveilleuses Laduree in Tokyo. I have relied on great tips from other BT/BICers on many of my trips, especially Toronto and Tokyo, so I would love to keep this updated as a resource for BIC.

Please share your discoveries, store reviews, pictures, purchases, and travel tips, and I’ll try to keep and update summaries here in the main post for future reference. If you don’t have a chance for much travel, feel free to share your favorite beauty destinations in your home city. I plan to update with photos below from various trips as I have the chance to organize my archives and update. What do you guys think? Feel free to make suggestions on how to organize this thread, too, it might be a bit of a work in progress. Thanks and happy travels BT/BIC!

Re: The Travel Beauty Thread

@naturalooks15 so interesting! I saw one last time I was at JFK - I guess the airport is the perfect time to realize you've forgotten your makeup haha 

yeah @Kim888  @RebeccaBT   I was thinking it would be better to have Sephora kioasks then there could be multibrand, skin, hair as well  plus we still get our points even if no discounts 😄

I'm not super sure if this is the best place to post this .. BUT. i'll be traveling for approximately ten days in late July/early August. I'll be spending my time in southern and central italy. i have NO idea what to bring! normally when i go, it is not during late summer, so im struggling to figure out what to bring so my face doesnt melt off (and ill have to do a full face one day because im attending a wedding), and also how to pare back my skincare without freaking my face out. does anyone have any suggestions on what travels well, and what they would consider "essentials"?? thank you for the feedback!!

@cianni  Aw, I wish I’d seen this sooner. Not that I have good recommendations... I’ve never been to Europe during summer. But I’m very familiar with sweltering hot and humid weather here in the States. I hope you had a great time at the wedding! 

I’m in Prague right now and was amused when I saw Sephora carries lipsmackers here.  Haha.  Also, I used to buy Red Earth makeup at Esprit in the 90s.  Flashback:)251C8003-EF37-4DF0-913D-19425521B2E6.jpeg

EC336D42-BC67-419A-82CE-77C7B2510453.jpeg

@heartsmyface , thanks for sharing!  It's so interesting that brands considered in the U.S. to be drugstore-tier would be carried in high-end or luxury stores overseas.  Another similar example, I recall observing that Nyx Cosmetics is sold at Sephora in India.  It can also work in the opposite way:  whenever I'm traveling in East Asia, I stock up on drugstore sunscreens from brands under the Shiseido umbrella; the formulas are comparable to the Shiseido sunscreens sold in high-end retailers state-side.  

@MlleCC I just did the conversion of CZK to USD and it looks like the pack of lip smackers for 390 CZK is equivalent to $17 USD.  Definitely pricier than what we pay here for them.

that's so interesting @heartsmyface ! hope you are enjoying your trip!

Notices something different in Sephora in France (in a smaller town Caen). They had tons of purfumes in the front, almost first 1/3 was filled with fragrances. Rest, around the store at the wall was skin care and in the middle in smaller stand shelves was make-up. It would be interesting to see if this is general trend here. I will see if I can do a quick visit to Sephora in Paris !! Looks less probably at this point. 

Also, there was a guy (seemed to be a security guy) and he told me photos are not allowed. I tried to tell him that I am not aware of the policy but after that point language was a barrier for both of us.

Very interesting Clarin display below with fresh fruits and herbs there

18192DCF-98A2-474A-A939-BB9FD7851883.jpeg

5CD2E488-A1FB-4C9C-8695-19C3C0F7BBE3.jpeg

4F06DE4A-58EE-4F2C-B51E-C71BA1AB34C8.jpeg

B88C4144-8434-4143-9346-B0614E0CDA12.jpeg

40F705BC-417C-4951-9E6A-CBD0A7A87929.jpeg

@naturalooks15 So cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Rebecca

I love your pictures!  Thank you, @naturalooks15!

Awesome @naturalooks15 ! I’ve had a similar issue in France and Switzerland where they’ve said no photos! I first got into some wonderful (expensive) perfumes in France. Have a great trip, 5hanks for the photos!

Thanks for the pics @naturalooks15 ! They really like their fragrances and focus more on a softer, more natural style of makeup, unlike the full glam looks seen on Instagram. 

@naturalooks15 It depends on which one you go in to. I was in Paris about a month ago and went to at least three different Sephoras (I have a problem) and all of them had a much larger perfume selection that I am used to seeing in the states, but only one of them (on the champs-élysées) was mostly perfume with the last 1/3 of the store split between makeup and skincare. Have fun on your trip!

@Brutalitops , then you are in the right place! I also love going in all the Sephoras wherever I go! 💕💕

Thank you for sharing @naturalooks15! I hope you have a great time!❤️

oh wow @naturalooks15  that is really interesting! thanks for sharing!

I was watching some YouTube videos and reading magazine articles about skincare for long flights, and I have just one question. Do people really use sheet masks on airplanes? I'll probably just packing a super rich moisturizer on my next trip, but I was just wondering how common sheet masks are...in economy and not a first class sleeping pod!

@txcatx  I have worn one when on 26 hr journey with one flight being 16 hr long. I ignore the stares I get. 

In domestic flights, recently I clean my face (if I had sunscreen or makeup on) with a wipe put on serum, moisturizer, eye cream  and then used the glow recipe sleeping mask on top. This was good enough for a 6-7 hr flight. I use the DS sample or foil samples so I don’t have to deal with too many bottles in my purse and I do all this in my seat itself.

I wear sheet masks on planes.  I am usually in one by the time we’re in the air and again right before we land  😄 @txcatx

CC52C017-9E48-4FCD-9254-35036D682BF9.jpeg

I’m just gonna guess that this was closer to the end if the @txcatx 

Photos205
  • Beautiful sunset!
  • Iconic scene along Mariahilfstraße on the River Inn.
  • Mermaid Tails and Fins! Whole racks of them!
  • D3C937C6-07DE-4133-A427-6BF4A1AE802C.jpeg
  • More mermaid-y stuff!
  • Lovely shop Grüne Erde, with Natural Beauty and housewares.
  • Lovely skincare and cosmetics section.
  • The whole place was lovely, I especially loved the bulk herbs at the cashwrap! Sehr schön!
  • Bought a makeup remover and gentle balm cleanser, got samples and a free lavender sachet.
  • 6E5695B7-DF6D-44FC-9742-DF648E454E09.jpeg
  • This Weigano Perfumerie and Kosmetik surprised me. Tiny store front but a long narrow store inside packed floor to ceiling with prestige fragrance, cosmetics and skincare. I could have spent hours here. They had a wonderful German perfumer featured Lengling, and I’m hoarding some samples until I get back to Germany/Austria next time.
  • Weigano.
  • Weigano, the store went back like 3x this length. Heaven!
  • Nägele & Strubell (Nails & Brushes) is another high end Austrian shop/chain. They carried Annick Goutal, and some Middle Eastern fragrances that were new to me. Lots of variety.
  • Oh Canada!
testing