Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Travel Beauty Thread

(January 2023) Thought I’d resurrect this thread, now that there’s a bit more possibility of travel these days! I would love to live vicariously and learn from fellow BICers, so please post any tips, pics, and/or your fave travel minis or routine!  I’m still not doing a lot of travel these days, but may post some pics and notes from past trips.  💗💗💗

—————

Since the old travel thread sadly got lost in the switchover (😢😢😢) it was suggested a while back, and I’ve been meaning to get a new one started. If there is one already for this, let me know. I travel a bit for work and for fun, and I love checking out beauty stores and seeking out exclusive or hard-to-find items in different places around the world. Some of my favorite makeup destinations have been the Face Powder and Perfume Museum in Torino, Italy (a surprise find) and the Les Merveilleuses Laduree in Tokyo. I have relied on great tips from other BT/BICers on many of my trips, especially Toronto and Tokyo, so I would love to keep this updated as a resource for BIC.

Please share your discoveries, store reviews, pictures, purchases, and travel tips, and I’ll try to keep and update summaries here in the main post for future reference. If you don’t have a chance for much travel, feel free to share your favorite beauty destinations in your home city. I plan to update with photos below from various trips as I have the chance to organize my archives and update. What do you guys think? Feel free to make suggestions on how to organize this thread, too, it might be a bit of a work in progress. Thanks and happy travels BT/BIC!

Re: The Travel Beauty Thread

You took a great selection of products with you @itsfi !! 😍

Thank you @Saradestin! It’s been a while since I’ve traveled for a longer work trip ✈️ so it took a little more thought when it came to what to bring with me. I might have packed more than I should but it’ll hopefully be easier and quicker going forward. 🤞🏼 

Great products to take with you, @itsfi!

Thank you @curlychiquita! I keep going back and forth on whether I want to just decant my full size items into travel containers or if I want to bring a mix of mini/travel size, full size and samples. I'll figure it out one of these days. 😀

Oh yay! I’ve been meaning to resurrect it too! Now that people are back and traveling more these days! Great minis to keep your routine effective and consistent for travel!  @itsfi 

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how folks pack for trips @sister13, be it vacation or business trips. I'm trying to take more of a minimalist approach to it. Minimal but with all the essentials. 😆 The makeup I brought with me this trip was pretty minimal and worked out, but next time, I'll aim to bring a blush-highlighter-bronzer palette or maybe a few Westman Atelier sticks. 

The Travel Beauty Thread

@txcatx, Why am I just now finding this thread? Dang I've been on the forum for awhile but never stumbled on this thread! My eyes lit up while going through the past posts (I guess I'm having travel nostalgia since I'm only going to work and home with serious state lock down here in Louisiana tomorrow) Last year I traveled to Switzerland/Germany in late March, then NYC in September, then Iceland in November. Glad I traveled so much in 2019, because all I booked is a Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii, then staying in Honolulu for four nights after cruise and that's not until mid September (so thankful) Madrid and Morocco are definitely on my list. Hope you enjoyed that trip. Take care on future travels. Here's a few pics from 2019.

Beautiful! Glad you (a) found the thread! And (b) are on the move again, with some great trips behind and ahead of you! Isn’t Schloß Neuschwanstein amazing? Ive spent a bit of time in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and love everywhere, can’t wait to get back again. With the pandemic and everything, just haven’t been doing much travel, except a big trip to Samoa and American Samoa last December, which was truly wonderful! Glad to see your pics, can’t wait to see more! @Luvstravel 

Thanks @sister13 for reminding me of the travel thread! Looking forward to my future trips❣️

Wow, great travels, @Luvstravel!  I love your pictures!  I would love to go to Iceland.

RE: The Travel Beauty Thread

Beautiful pics @Luvstravel

RE: The Travel Beauty Thread

Wow!!!!!!! Gorgeous photos!!! @Luvstravel

Thanks @idanyd

Thanks @idanyd

Okay, who has been to Budapest and what should I do there? I have three days there, 1.5 days of which I will be alone, and would love any recommendations. I also see that Sephora is not in Hungary, so any good beauty stores in the country?

Also, anyone been to Belgrade or Sarajevo?

Finally, I'm ending the trip in London, but I plan to spend lots of time at the (free?!) Tate Modern and just walking around the city and then spending all my money on fancy afternoon tea.

Hi @txcatx ! Sorry, I haven’t been to any of those cities  (except London) but I’m SO envious of your trip! I can see Hungary/Budapest have Marionnaud and Douglas, both of which have a range of beauty and fragrance. It’s been so long, I sort of can’t remember but I think Douglas usually has more high end fragrances from big brands and more local/regional lines. And I would guess Budapest will have some higher end department stores so maybe just ask at the front desk and then double check with google! Have fun and please share pics! 

Sometimes I’ll search for a Guerlain or other fancy fragrance boutiques to see if they have locations in a city I’m visiting! 

I had never seen this before but can be really handy on occasions !! A beauty kiosk at an airport - Benefit brand with a guarantee that its same prices as anywhere else.

44939EE0-D1D1-47B9-AE99-BD58D6909DA3.jpeg

@naturalooks15 I have seen these in a couple of airports and think it is genius! We have all forgot a makeup product we need on vacation at some point and now the problem solved a little easier 🙂

Best,

Rebecca

@naturalooks15  I sometimes see one of these at an Orlando International Airport terminal. I usually travel through that airport twice a year, so it’s nice to know I can maybe grab a brow pencil if I know I forgot to pack mine. 🙂 

This makes me wish I’d taken photos of the makeup shop on Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas in April, so I could show y’all the RIDICULOUS markup. I always expect prices on cruise ships to be marked way up, but these prices were so bad they should’ve been illegal. 😄 So I gotta give Benefit kudos for putting these kiosks at airports without price gouging folks. 

Yup, even when I don't put make-up on, I use liner so it could be very hndy for that or now a days I also use eyebrow pencil quite routinely along with a balm or gloss and I am done so this is really good for business travelers who are often going directly to office from airport. 

There is one of these in the Philly airport. I had to hurry past it, all that time waiting for my flight, it was just too tempting to spend my time spending my money at the kiosk! I'm a sucker for duty free shops too, I don't know what it is about being in an airport but I get spendy. haha, Sephora ought to open a shop there, it would clean out my wallet. @naturalooks15 

@prettyinpa  yup, I know. I was tempted even though I didn't forget the things I plan to use 😄 😄

1 Reply
Photos205
  • Beautiful sunset!
  • Iconic scene along Mariahilfstraße on the River Inn.
  • Mermaid Tails and Fins! Whole racks of them!
  • D3C937C6-07DE-4133-A427-6BF4A1AE802C.jpeg
  • More mermaid-y stuff!
  • Lovely shop Grüne Erde, with Natural Beauty and housewares.
  • Lovely skincare and cosmetics section.
  • The whole place was lovely, I especially loved the bulk herbs at the cashwrap! Sehr schön!
  • Bought a makeup remover and gentle balm cleanser, got samples and a free lavender sachet.
  • 6E5695B7-DF6D-44FC-9742-DF648E454E09.jpeg
  • This Weigano Perfumerie and Kosmetik surprised me. Tiny store front but a long narrow store inside packed floor to ceiling with prestige fragrance, cosmetics and skincare. I could have spent hours here. They had a wonderful German perfumer featured Lengling, and I’m hoarding some samples until I get back to Germany/Austria next time.
  • Weigano.
  • Weigano, the store went back like 3x this length. Heaven!
  • Nägele & Strubell (Nails & Brushes) is another high end Austrian shop/chain. They carried Annick Goutal, and some Middle Eastern fragrances that were new to me. Lots of variety.
  • Oh Canada!
testing