Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Thank you @Libellules! I'll give them a shot. I've got nothing to lose haha 

Also for the Dior. Are you referring to the pomade which is in a tube, or the stick? 

You're welcome @pinyo!

Ah sorry - the pomade in the tube

I think from a previous conversation I've noticed that our lips react to similar things, peppermint included!

These are the things that I use to keep my lips hydrated:

• I exfoliate my lips at least once a week. I use LUSH lip scrub, but you can make your own with olive oil and brown sugar. For extra moisture, slap some on, cover your lips with seran wrap (it'll look and feel weird), and leave on for 15 minutes.
  • 100% shea butter. I slather this on at night before going to bed. I have a massive tin from L'Occitane, but it's quite $$$--I'm sure you can find it for cheaper from a health food store.
  • Herbivore Coco Rose lip conditioner. I use this under lipstick. It was one of the few things my lips would tolerate when I was recovering from a horrible lip rash.

I know you mentioned Vaseline doesn't do anything for you, but petrolatum is an occlusive, so maybe using it on top of another oil-based moisturizer will help seal it in!

In general, I find that oil-based moisturizers work best for my lips. If the lip balm has too complex of a formulation (anything with more than a few ingredients and anything waxy), my lips tend to dry out from it (or worse, react). Perhaps try plain old coconut oil as well?

Ahhhh thank you @k617! It's comforting knowing someone has the same problems/reactions as me and found a useful regimen. 

I rarely exfoliate anymore since it's so uncomfortable, but when I do I use Fresh lip scrub. Do you think that's too harsh? After using it, my lips are so tight that it feels like if I smile I may split my lip. I thought that was normal since I know lip exfoliators are harsh and drying. 

@pinyoI have tried many lip balms and my HG is Intelligent Nutrients - Lip Delivery Nutrition. I swear by this and nothing has ever beaten this product. The only thing is that I think it does have peppermint oil in it Smiley Sad

ETA: Also might want to look into Nuxe reve de miel. So far so good for that one but I just got it not long ago.

Thank you love! I'm gonna look into your HG and the nuxe. Another girl recommended it too! So it's gotta be good right? Lol

Nuxe reve de miel has an overpowering grapefruit scent flavor.  that is my biggest purchase regret this year and if you buy it on sale they don't accept returns. It breaks havoc on my sensitive lips (yours sound sensitive too). My HG is kiehls lip balm #1 (and it's cheap) @pinyo

Oh gosh my head is spinning now lol. It seemed like it would be an HG. and I love grapefruit...but if you're sensitive and it didn't work for you...I'm scared to know what it'll do to me. 

I saw ulta sells it, so I was gonna try it from there. 

Have you tried lanolin?  I buy a tube of the Lansinoh lanolin and slather that all over my lips at night and they feel great in the morning. 

The products that I've had the most success with don't seem to work for you, but I still have a couple suggestions.  Instead of using a premade scrub to exfoliate your lips, dip your finger in olive oil, and then dip it in sugar, and then use your finger to massage your lips.  The olive oil should help offset the exfoliation.  Also, during the day, when my lips have been super chapped I surprisingly have the best luck with lip gloss, rather than lip balm.  Particularly the Urban Decay Naked glosses, but honestly, any gloss that will stick around for more than an hour.  I realize that that may not work for everybody, but it's helped me when my lips were just not getting any better.

When my daughter was taking Accutane her lips were horribly dry and chapped all the time. The two things that really worked for her were Bioderma Atoderm lip balm (from Beautylish) and at night, Laneige lip sleeping mask (from Amazon). Good luck!

I really like the tonymoly lip balm in blueberry. Also Nivea milk and honey is really nice and comes in stick form. 

I would try something w/ lanolin as one of the main ingredients. E.g Carmex, DHC Lip Cream, Lanisoh aka nipple cream

@pinyo I have the same problem. I tried so many lip balms and even the expensive one from By terry did not work for me. 

On the other side, I think it has something to do with my water intake. So try to drink a lot of water!

Thank you! I'm definitely working on my water intake as we speak! I should buy stock in toilet paper hahaha 

Another suggestion

Dr. Bronner's Naked Lip Balm

Spoiler
Description
Dr. Bronner's Organic Lip Balms, made with organic beeswax, provide a protective barrier to the elements with no synthetic ingredients! None! Organic jojoba, avocado and hemp oils help with extra moisturization. Only the finest essential oils are used for fragrance. Certified organic to USDA National Organic Program standards, because what you put on your lips goes into your body.
Suggested uses
Our Organic Lip Balms are great for protecting lips – apply them in cold, windy, or dry weather. Moisturize and heal chapped, dry skin anywhere on your body! Use them to quickly treat dry hands or cuticles, revive chapped chins & cheeks and provide relief for chaffed skin. OK!

Ingredients: Organic Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil*, Organic Beeswax, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Tocopherol
*CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS

Have you tried exfoliating and moisturizing before putting on lip balm? When I do my evening cleanse, I soak a cotton pad with (gentle) toner and put it between my lips. Afterwards I lightly exfoliate by rubbing the cotton pad around before putting on lip balm. As a result I no longer have chronically peely/scaly lips.

I am partial to Bobbi Brown's lip balm (the tin lasts forever), and heard good things about By Terry.

Thank you @TriesToBoClassy! I never thought of using toner on my lips. 

I do try to exfoliate my lips with the fresh sugar lip scrub, but my lips get raw and even drier after. Usually I keep it to once a week or two because of that. Daily I use my finger nail to lightly brush over my lips and scrape any dead skin. I'm gonna try out your ideas and cross my fingers it works! Thanks again-I truly appreciate it! 

@pinyo I have had the same issue with some of those you've already mentioned. One that works well for me is Yes To! Coconuts. I just get it at Target, it's fairly cheap at $3 I think. There are a couple other versions as well, but the coconut one is probably the most moisturizing. 

Thanks @alexasteph! I already have to go to target, so I'll pick one up! And thankfully I won't have to sell any body parts to afford it haha! 

@pinyo If you got one, how do you like it? 

5,204 Replies