Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

RE: Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@blueviolet21 I buy my sunscreen from Dermstore and have always had good experiences. Their rewards program is pretty decent and they have percent off sales fairly often [although with brand restrictions]

can anyone tell me why my order was placed and now it's s...

can anyone tell me why my order was placed and now it's saying unsuccessful authorization?

Re: can anyone tell me why my order was placed and now it's s...

@hannahdanielleb

I've had this happen numerous times; Sephora told me it was because I was placing too many orders (I was hunting clearance formula x polish, and placed many many orders because colors came and went quickly). I'm sure there are other reasons Sephora could decide to cancel your order, so if you haven't placed a lot of orders lately, you'll have to contact CS for a more definitive answer...that's just one reason I know of off the top of my head.

Unsuccessful authorization has nothing to do with your form of payment, by the way, so don't let them tell you that. It happened to me on several orders paid for with a gift card, which are approved and debited as soon as the order is placed and can't really be "declined" after the fact. Good luck finding out Smiley Happy

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Does anyone use Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Hydrating Foundation?

How do you apply it- do you use a brush (if so, which brush) or a sponge?

I've been using a RT sponge, and occasionally a BB, but I find that it's super difficult to clean. The foundation hardens on the surface of my sponge, and then once I finally get the surface clean, I can still see foundation stuck below the surface of the sponge. It's maddening. I've tried soaking and scrubbing the sponge but nothing works. I've also tried a couple brushes, but I hate how if I don't wash the brush right after I use it, the next day the brush will be really stiff and hard to the point where I can't use it.

I am bumping this thread because it truly has never been more needed than right now! 

Does anyone know if/when the new Give Me Some Nude Lip Set that includes the Ciate lippie is going to launch in the US? 

@StephaniLynn It's definitely launching soon, I've seen it in stores. Sephora tends to drop new items on Tuesdays a lot of the time so keep an eye out.

Since the update my mobile Sephora (not the app, the phone one I access on Safari) is stuck on Canadian. Idk how this happened or how to get it back to the US site. It's getting frustrating following links and ending up on the Canadian version and then having to retype whatever product into the app to purchase or plug into my loves list. I'm sure there's probably an easy explanation but I tried googling it to no avail. I'm incredibly not tech savvy.

@liv545 It used to be that you could click on the flag at the top right of the page and switch between countries. I don't know if that's the case anymore. If not, then just embrace it; Canada clearly wants to assimilate you. 😉e2f7feec6ab6e11b7173d157e2f99c19d0fd5d8d12652394b5e9f67aa4618b9c

@liv545 You definitely get more snow than we do in Vancouver! No, you cannot order from the Canadian warehouse, just like we cannot order from the states. I would try signing out and signing back in. If that doesn't work, send a direct note to the support team.

@Beadshopgirl I was raised mostly in Wisconsin, so I'd definitely assimilate weather wise no sweat! What I wouldn't give for a snow storm right about now. I hate being hot. I don't like sand either. Like reeeeeeaaally dislike sand. Which makes the irony of my current city of residence all the more palpable. I appreciate the welcoming approach. Wonder if the Canadian warehouses would just mail me the goodies?

Looking to see if anyone has some ideas for a replacement toner?

I adore the Tony Moly I'm Real Rice Smooth Toner. It leaves my skin feeling fresh, never dried it out, and never irritated my sensitive skin. And it was affordable (less than $20). I'm running low though, and apparently Ulta doesn't carry it anymore! I tried looking online but I can't find it anywhere. It's not even on the Tony Moly US site, nor anything similar, so I guess it's be discontinued. So now I need a replacement, but would love something similar and preferably under $35. Any ideas?

if you live in la alhambra has a tonymoly store. try amazon and try looking for online carriers of asian skincare. tonymoly is a really popular low end brand.

He Fresh rose toner in the translucent bottle works really well. It's working with my oily skin and gets your makeup off with a few swipes

@Kay522, Looks like that toner had rice in it to brighten and gently exfoliate. I don't know of any toners that have rice, but, have you tried a glycolic toner? It has a very gently brightening and exfoliating. Many people swear by the Pixi Glow Tonic (available at Target). I have been using the Pixi Glow Tonic for about a week, and so far, I love it. Coincidentally, I just stumbled across another product on the Target site:  Pacifica Rice Bright luminizing and smoothing paste cleanser. I have not tried it, but it might give a result you like (if you really like rice), even though it's a cleanser and not a toner.

@SheWhoSkis I've heard good things about the Pixi glow tonic! I've looked at other rice based skin care products, there's a rice toner from The Face Shop that seems promising.

@Kay522 Ulta carries some other Korean brands that might have something like what you're looking for. Skinfood, Goodal, and Thank You Farmer come to mind. I think they all each have several toners in their range. I've used both Goodal and Skinfood products and like them, though they sometimes contain fragrance so beware if that's something you don't like. For toners, I mostly just make sure that they're alcohol free so that they don't dry out my skin. Hope that helps!

Thanks @makeitup305! I have started looking at other Korean brands at Ulta and Sephora, though no luck finding something similar just yet. 

Question - what is the best eye make up remover for very sensitive eyes? Mine sting with everything I try (Lancome, Make Up Forever, Bobbie Brown, Sephora Collection, Clinique). Thanks!

@CAcay, to remove eye makeup, I massage some raw extra virgin coconut oil on my dry eyelids and lashes. It takes a little time (don't just apply and wipe), but it works great to loosen it up. I then wipe away the bulk using a damp konjac sponge, and use a regular gentle facial cleanser all over my face, including a little in the eye area to remove the remaining coconut oil and make up (Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser and Fresh Soy Face Cleaner are my current favorites).

The raw extra virgin coconut oil is nothing fancy; just something I get from my natural grocer. Keeping it clean is key (it has no preservatives). I never touch the contents of the large jar with my bare hands. I transfer a little bit to a smaller container (a little sample jar that holds 1/4 oz) using a spoon. I then use my fingers in the small jar to retrieve product for daily use, as I can go through that quantity in a short enough period (about a week) where I don't worry about product spoilage due to whatever was on my hands. Once empty, be sure to clean the jar well and dry it before refilling.

@CAcayI have that same problem. I really like Biotherm Biocils. The liquid not the gel with Shiseido facial cotton. The Laneige is pretty gentle too. You could also try pure jojoba oil to remove your eye makeup. I sometimes use that as well or in combination with. Hope this helps too.

http://www.sephora.com/biocils-eye-express-make-up-remover-waterproof-P398934

http://www.sephora.com/facial-cotton-P173726?skuId=101220&keyword=P173726

http://www.sephora.com/lip-eye-makeup-remover-P414072?skuId=1874551

5,204 Replies