Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@Paiigee- There are definitely some different opinions on this one, but now that the MAC individual eyeshadow pans are $6 instead of 10, it would be fairly easy to walk into a mac, buy a refillable palette and get 10 or so cool no neutral colors specifically directed at your interests/skin.  It is a fairly flexible way to approach wanting a palette and I think the individual pan eyeshadow seems to be fairly good (while not being as good as higher end shadows like viseart).  I would say if you have friends in the area who like MAC, find out a name of a good SA.  I have one I love who gives me good advice and doesn't just try to sell everything, but it can definitely be a little hit and miss as they generally have a wide range of experience levels in the stores.

Lorac Pro 2 is considered a cool toned palette.  It's relatively colorful, while not being super out of the box.  I don't own either of these, but the Kat von D Interstellar palette is cool and on the light side. And the Bobbi Brown University palette looks to be cool and darker. 

Oh wow I really like the look of the BB palette.

That Innerstellar palette is gorgeous D: I'm not sure if I would ever use the dark brown and black, but it still might be worth it.

I feel stuck between this one and the Stila one Sprytely suggested.

I posted a thread the other day about cool neutrals specifically, but I got some recommendations that might help you!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/Cool-toned-neutral-shadow-recommendations/m-p/2415707#M30999

Okay, so now. Thanks to @Sprytely@JennBeth, & @TopazBeth's thread she linked, I'm now torn between three palettes. Can I do a poll? I want to do a poll. I'm leaning more toward Too Faced or Stila because I can get those from Ulta for 2x points this month, but I'd still be willing to get KVD. Because it's pretty.

Too Faced Boudoir Palette

Stila Eyes Are the Window in Body

Kat Von D's Innerstellar

http://www.sephora.com/boudoir-eyes-soft-sexy-eye-shadow-collection-P377630?skuId=1493907&icid2=bran...

http://www.sephora.com/eyes-are-the-window-shadow-palettes-P388525?skuId=1631944&icid2=category%20se...

http://www.sephora.com/innerstellar-eyeshadow-palette-P391755?skuId=1632165&icid2=category%20search_...

@JazaChai wore a Stila Eyes Are the Window (not the Body palette, though) recently and I thought it looked amazing on her. And I think the color selection in the Stila is better than the Too Faced (the TF shades still seem too neutral, while the Stila shades are fun yet wearable).

@TKLJ That's true. The Too Face palette is pretty neutral, but it's a different neutral than what I have right now, if that makes sense? I have a lot of creams and browns. I like that the Too Face palette is like a softer version of normally bright colors. I do agree that Stila has a better seletion/variety.

Yeah, I got the Spirit palette from Ulta as a beauty steal. I can't speak to the colors in Body, but I found the formula in general very good. Color payoff, blendability, etc. all very nice. The pearl/metallics were especially good, but the mattes were average to above average as well.

These are also on special for $25 at Macy's at the moment, if I remember the Deals thread correctly.

Oh, if that's true then I may get this from Macy's and go ahead and get Too Faced from Ulta...

Too Faced palette - Love it, it's small, easy to grab and, in my opinion, travel friendly.

Stila-I also quite like these. These are the palettes that I'm constantly reminding myself I should use more often.

KVD-This one just didn't work for me, I don't think the quality is as good as the other two and its comparatively big and bulky. I recently traded mine. 

@Sprytely I love the casing on the Too Face palette. I don't have one, but my sister-in-law has the Natural Eye Neutral palette and we've played with it. It's so easy to use. I love the layout and everything. I've never used or swatched a Stila one. I keep going back and forth on these two.

Get both. They have different functionality. The Too Faced I grab when I want a more polished put together look, Stila is still polished but with a bit of fun too.

I will eventually, but right now I'm only budgeting for one. I need a new laptop before I start taking grad classes this summer, so I don't want to spend too much. Honestly, I'm already spending more than I should.

Too Faced. 

Too Faced. I have this palette and it's beautiful.

Too faced...I have this and absolutely love it!

+1 for Too Faced. Absolutely cannot beat it when it comes to cool toned shadows. 

And if you get it and end up hating it and want to depot Birthday Suit and send it to me, I probably wouldn't be super angry. Smiley Happy

OK so I'm having a major problem trying to find an SPF that works well under makeup and lasts. I've tried La Roche Posey (turned me into an oil slick and I'm not oily skinned) and Kari Gran (just no bueno). SPF's like MD solar science breaks me out for some reason. I'm somewhat dry skinned/normal with some pore issues around my nose.Thankfully no acne issues, but it takes some time for product to sink into my skin. I'd just like an SPF that looks great under makeup and won't pill up while putting on makeup. Also I've noticed that a lot of the sunscreens out there say to reapply after 2 hours which I can't with a full face of makeup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy.

Spoiler
I have some hyperpigmentation that I'm working on lightening and would like to not add to my issue. I'm also very far skinned.

@niki172 Have you had the chance to try the Murad Invisiblur? I really like that one. I have oily skin as well.

@StephaniLynn - I have a DS sample of that somewhere ( Smiley Very Happy ) around the house. I don't have oily skin though - I have somewhat dry skin so I don't know is it going to dry me out even more??

5,198 Replies