Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@PaletteAddict99  Thx!  The Anna Sui new release? The new shadows you mean? Those are still available.  I'm waiting to see if Canadian retailers will get them... They are always sooo behind everyone else. Those should be perm... well pretty sure. It looked like a redesign so should be available for a while.

@veronika23 Good to know it will be perm infant I'll have to look again. I thought it was gone when I looked on the b-glowing website last time. Sometimes it takes me a long time to finally decide what I want and then it's gone LOL

@PaletteAddict99  maybe it went OOS so they removed the product... Sephora Canada does that even when the item will eventually come back in stock.  Pretty sure Beautylish had it up.

@PaletteAddict99,  I PM'd you! Smiley Happy

@tsavorite I don't think the pm reply is working anymore since Black Friday 

this might be a question that may be deemed strange and i am embarrased about it  but how many makeup brushes does one need for basic to medium application and what brushes would those be. I feel I am missing a few. but I probably shouldn't be putting my foundation on my face with my fingers it is really bad for the face for one example. can anyone in this thread possibly provide me with a list of basic - medium maintence brushes by title so I can search and look for some on sale during the holidays. and also list what to use them for. it is likely I have been using some of the wrong brushes in the past to make due. and want to do this right. I don't even know what brushes I have so and I will likley be buying a new set of everything listed. thanks in advance. 

I'm no expert so I won't try and weigh in on this, but don't be embarrassed! It's not a strange question at all! 

thanks. Smiley Happy 

also would anyone have any brands or  ideas  or a list of makeup brushes and kits that would go along these lines? 

Well, there's really no such thing a "wrong" brush, if you like how it applies your makeup (the one exception is, you generally want to use synthetic brushes for cream products, rather than natural hair ones).

If you are looking for all new brushes though, and want something mid-range, I would suggest the Sephora brand, especially the Pro Airbrush line. I have several of those and they are great, and if you want guidance on which to use for what they generally have it in the product name. I have and love the foundation brush (#55 I think), the powder brush, the concealer brush, the angled blush brush, and the travel kit which has some eye brushes as well.

Here's the travel kit I was talking about: http://m.sephora.com/product/P280421?icid2=skugrid&skuId=1302371

And here's a great eye brush kit that I also own and love. It comes with an insert that tells you how you can use the brushes and what kinds/colors of eyeshadow you can ise them with. (Not that you can't use them however you like! But if you want some pointers to get you started that should help.)

http://m.sephora.com/product/P377122?icid2=skugrid&skuId=1469386

thanks for the links and the feedback! Smiley Happy

@WhereYouStand no reason to be embarrassed!

I don't have any specific brush recommendations, but I wanted to chime in and say it is absolutely not bad to put foundation on with your hands (assuming your hands are clean of course).

I actually prefer using my hands with certain foundations or BB creams depending on their formulas. Smiley Happy

thanks for the feedback I always thought that I was doing makeup wrong by using my fingers to apply liquid foundation. but it's good to know I wasn't applying it wrong. 

Don't be embarrassed, everyone asks this at some point! In terms of maintenance, synthetics are probably the saw to go (as opposed to animal hair brushes). They can typically be used for powder, cream, and liquid makeup without issue and aren't as fussy as animal hair for cleaning. Plus, they are typically cheaper. In terms of brands, my favorites are Real Techniques (a drugstore brand) and IT Cosmetics (a bit more expensive). Now, for types of brushes, gonna break it down between face and eyes:

Face Brushes

-You're gonna want something for foundation/concealer blending. I personally love the beautyblender or a similar makeup sponge. If you'd rather have a proper brush, you have paddle brushes and domed foundation brushes. I find that domed ones work better as paddle between those two as from my personal experience paddle brushes just ended up streaky.

-Now, you're gonna want a soft not too densely packed brush for blush and possible bronzer. Some are more dome shaped and some are more angular. Those are more a matter of preference and how light or heavy an application you want

-A big very fluffy brush will be good for setting powder and possibly bronzer.

Eye brushes

-If I were to break down my absolute core makeup brushes, it would be a small flat brush for laying down color and a crease blending brush. If I have at least those, I can do a decent eye look.

-If you're looking for some more, a smudger brush for the lower lashline, an eyeliner brush (thin/pointed or angular), and a smokey liner brush are all great and ones I use often.

-If you use a pomade or powder for brows, a small stiff angular brush would be good for that.

Hopefully I've not forgotten anything. 

wow this is great and very informative ! Smiley Happy thanks for feedback and the breakdown on the types of brushes. Smiley Happy 

@WhereYouStand

I almost always use my fingers for foundation precisely for the opposite reason you stated.  :-)

I find brushes to be the cesspool of crud.  The thought of using a brush more than once without washing it drives me bonkers.  I know exactly how clean my hands are - and they are washed regularly, more than once daily, and definitely before I apply makeup.

If I ever use a brush for foundation (if I use a stick foundation perhaps), I wash it immediately after every usage.

I own very few brushes.  

Thanks for the feedback. . I am glad to know I am not the only one whom using my fingers for liquid foundation. 

Smiley Happy 

I agree with comments saying there is no such thing as a right or wrong brush. 

Some things to note though is that natural bristles (usually black or brown, esp at sephora) are better for powders, while synthetic brushes (usually white esp at sephora) are best for liquid/cream products. 

Theres nothing wrong with you using your fingers. It's definitely a matter of preference. I personally use a brush because I don't like getting my fingers dirty and I feel like the application looks more flawless with a brush. My caveat is I don't clean my brushes that often (which is "bad") but my sensitive face seems to be handling it just fine. 

Ive definitely had to shop for myself and others for the pure pure basics, and these are my opinions. 

Foundation brush (Sephora one I like. Forget the name something like flawless or airbrush. Also love UD optical blurring but that's been discontinued) 

blush brush (I have a mac one. Also like mufe blending brush but that's super expensive and tbh unnecessary, but I love it. 

Eyeshadow brush---get one for eye shadows (I just use the ones that come in the old UD palette and like it. Although most people hate it haha. And get a blending brush. If you want cheap but good, get it from ELF. The one for $1 with the white handle. 

Thats all all you need imo. 4 basic brushes. You can also get a contouring brush if you like that style. Sephora makes one I like as well. I can't remember the name, but I think they call it a blush brush or blending brush. Can't remember 

how often you wash your brushes is up to you. My skin is sensitive, but I wash it "whenever I feel like it" or when it starts to look quite gunky with foundation. You'll also definitely know when your foundation starts streaking haha Smiley Very Happy

hope that helps! 

I started using a damp beauty blender for applying my foundation recently and I'm finally starting to love using it.  It does take a while to get used to but it helps it go on evenly.  

5,198 Replies