Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@KellW It's not technically a primer, but people seem to like the Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It's ~$6 and available at Target, CVS, etc.

So my Clarisonic Mia from 2009 finally died recently and I've just picked up a new one and had a few questions for anyone that's replaced one recently:

- I understand Clarisonic doesnt have an actual recycling program, did you just take it to your local recycling? Is there somewhere specific for electronics that's better? I'm in Vancouver, Canada and wouldnt want to just drop off this dead electronic item just anywhere 

- Can I just continue using my old charger? I went from Mia 1 to Mia 1 so charger seems to be the same but not sure if I should recycle the old one too now that I'm at it

I am also in Vancouver and I would recommend any of the return it depots around the city who take electronics. Mine died a few years ago and they took it. I know they do their best to recycle all the bits for any electronic you may have lying around. -- I also have been using my old charger on my newer Mia for two years now with no issue. Hope that helps. 

Thanks will do that!

Hi BT!

Does anyone know whether one physical Sephora store will honour a return/refund of a product purchased from another physical store (both in Canada)? I will be travelling soon and will not have a chance to go back to the original point of purchase until after my return/refund eligibility window ends Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance!

@miruiz Yes they will! I had a purchase from Montreal that a Toronto store refunded no issues! 

Yay! Thank you so much! At least that's one less thing for me to worry about Smiley Happy 

I'm going to a rock music festival at the end of the month and I need some beauty survival tips. It isn't the festival I'm worried about (I've been to them before), but in the past I've always stayed in a hotel. This time, I'm living out of a tent for three nights, but I'll be damned if that'll stop me from doing my makeup!! 

Any tips? I'd like to only take essentials, and nothing super heavy or valuable.

Since your makeup will melt off your face anyway, avoid liquid as much as possible because you have to set them well with powder if you want them to last. This means powder>liquid foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, etc. This will help you not only with the longevity of your makeup but also makes it easier to store (liquids can overheat and expire faster, esp in the sun). Also try to bring multi-purpose items, like dual-ended brushes or multiple sticks so you can bring fewer items. On a side note, bringing a sunscreen stick is like the best thing ever for festivals! Easier to carry to for reapplication and less messy. Skin cancer is no joke. Have fun!!

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sound of that sunscreen stick. Smiley Very Happy

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bright orange eyeliner pencil, particularly one that will work well in that water line? I'm finding a lot of liquid eyeliner, but haven't had much luck finding a pencil. Thanks!

@unfungirl I've not tried it but Obsessive Compulsive Makeup has some good, brightly colored eyeliners and their whole site is on sale this weekend. 

occmakeup dot com (they're calling the orange shade coral but it looks pretty classic orange to me)

@starsandbucks  thanks for the reco! i always forget about OCC. the coral looks perfect! Smiley Happy

Has anyone returned an item without a receipt via mail?

I am not sure if this is the right threat so I am sorry if it is not Smiley Very Happy 

You can use the print-out from your account.  Go to your Order History.  

You also print a 'return' label on your account to mail it back.  

Wow! Thank you so so much Wheeee! <3

LUSH: Dark Angels. How do you wash off the charcoal residue?? I'm sure it's a great cleanser/mask but I honestly cannot get all the black stuff off my face after unless I really go in with a towel. Is there a way to make this work better? I bought a tub a year ago and I ended up tossing out half of it because I was so frustrated. Thanks!

Have you tried a konjac sponge? They are great for wetting the face prior to washing, then I will use it again to remove the cleanser and/or mask. I adjust the moisture in the sponge as needed. For example, to remove a clay mask I will have it more wet for the first passes to loosen the mask, and toward the end, I will wring most of the water out so it's more absorbent. As the sponge gets filled with the mask, I will periodically rinse and wring to clear it, then adjust the moisture level to be what is needed to get the mask off and continue on.

Not to sound dramatic, but konjac sponges have been such an improvement to my skincare routine. I hate how splashing water makes a mess and does very little, and I also hate how washcloths are so abrasive. Konjac sponges are just right.

@IZ95

@SheWhoSkis I haven't tried konjac sponges but I hear they're great! Maybe if I have this problem in the future I'll try them out Smiley Happy

Has anyone used products with apple cider vinegar, and it caused breakouts? I recently got SW Basics Toner and the main ingredient is apple cider vinegar. I used it last night for the 2nd time. I noticed today that I have a couple under skin bumps on my cheek now. 

@samls324  To this day, I don't know if putting apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar) on your face is a good idea.

Are you breaking out in areas you usually break out?

For two weeks, I used a homemade ACV "toner" by diluting 1 part unfiltered raw ACV with 10 parts of water.

I broke out days after and was wondering what could be causing it. Took me awhile to realized it's probably the ACV. I tried diluting it more and it didn't improve.

Without knowing the pH, it might be too harsh for your skin. Or your skin simply doesn't like it. Have you ever use acids on your face? How does your face react to acid?

The beauty and health worlds seem polarized on ACV. Some people swear by it, and it has made others broken out (I'm in the latter group). Those who ingest it have either claimed amazing health effects, while others have claimed it caused some crazy problems with their health and skin.

Once I discontinued use, my skin returned to normal.

If you Google "apple cider vinegar cause breakout" you'll find lots of threads discussing this as well.