Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@k617 I haven't been getting deep underskin pimples lately. I think my skin doesn't like it. I've been using Sunday Riley Good Genes lately and that seems to work fine with my skin.

Does anyone know if Viseart still makes brushes, and if/where I can buy them in the US? 

My favorite blush brush is Viseart. I got it in some narrow multi-story department store in NYC (5th or Madison, near Central Park or to the South, but nowhere near as South as Union Square). It was in the early-to-mid 2000's, so I realize the store might no longer exist, or maybe carries different things (not to mention I have no recollection of which one it was, or where it might have been). 

Fast forward 10-15 years, I still love the brush, but would love to get a replacement. I'm also curious to see what else they offer. 

A web search turns up lots of makeup palettes, but so far, no brushes. 

Has anyobe seen thes online or in store? 

Can't help on the brush (sorry); I just have to randomly comment that it sounds like Henri Bendel.

I just looked at the street view on Google maps, and I think that's it! Thank you, @kathmb! While they might not still carry it, I also recall it was a really nice store. I will have to check it out next time I'm in NYC!

I'm trying help a friend's sister find a cool pinkish red lipstick for prom. Something like makeup geek's "Fearless" but available in  drug stores. Preferably under $10. Anyone have a good recommendation?

How about Revlon's Cherries in the Snow? Or is that too pink?

As far as drugstore lippies go, Revlon has lots of great lipsticks in their regular lineup... same with Maybelline, but I can't think of any cool pinky reds off the top of my head.

That looks great! Thank you!

I'm trying to find a new foundation that wont feel oily after an hour or two...if I go in to Sephora will they be able to give me samples of a few different foundations/shades?  I feel like some places get annoyed by this...

Absolutely! They can also color match you as well.

Cool!  I've done the color match before but the colors suggested always feel waaaay too yellow.  I've been wanting to give a pink-er shade a try

Hello!  Has anyone shopped with this website before?Was searching for this specific lippie and this site came up... But I've never seen it/heard of it before.  Thanks!!! 

image.png

@hadtotryit never heard of this site either but I haven't ventured much outside of the mainstream online beauty retailers.  But was curious and looked them up on the BBB site - 

Spoiler
0.JPGbut with only 4 reviews, they literally have a 50/50 rating...

000.JPG00.JPG

Thank you... I forget about the BBB site for things beyond hiring a contractor. lol I think I will avoid this site. 

Is it common to see product prices marked up in store?  I have noticed it at my location on some luxury brand products.

First I saw something marked up $2 from the online price.  Which I thought was weird, but I am in NYC and I feel like I'm so used to that.  I just kind of ignored it.  I didn't buy the product but that's the kind of small price I would end up paying just based on convenience for me getting it right away and not explaining away more packages at my door! haha

Today I was in store and saw my Dior foundation cost $65 in store.  I feel tricked because I first bought it there in store without looking online and when I went online after to check about a different shade I saw it is $53 online!  That's a $12 difference!  Way too much.

I have only noticed this on those couple luxury items and I don't often by luxury so I can't speak to how many items are marked up.  But is this common?  Am I just naive because cosmetics seems like something that wouldn't be marked up from website to store...

I've only noticed it once at Sephora, a markup of about $7 on a Marc Jacobs brush. This was in a suburban mall, not some tourist hotspot where they can make a quick buck off visitors, so it was especially odd. I ended up buying it online. If anything, I'd expect a store price to be temporarily cheaper to try and shift overstock.

@starrysilver

That's interesting, @starrysilver. I know this happens often with larger retail companies like Target etc., but I have never seen it in a Sephora or department store. I feel like part of what you are paying for with luxury brands is the experience of purchasing at a counter and the consistency in pricing (i.e. it stays at MSRP and cannot be inflated at the whim of the retailer). I'm surprised to hear the Dior foundation had a $12 surcharge! What store was this in?

This isn't a beauty question, but I thought this would be a good place to ask. I have a Coach bag that's white cloth with metallic silver C's and silver leather handle and bottom. The cloth is looking a little dull. What is the best way to clean it?

@shyvicki  My local Coach stores will now clean your bags!   Not sure if there is a fee or if they do it in store or mail it out, but it may be worth checking. I have dropped a bag off in store for repairs and they sent it directly to my home once it was fixed.  Smiley Happy

I will definitely ask my local store. Thank you!

recently bought Boscia Purifying cleanser and it leaves my face with that squeaky clean feeling. my face feels a bit dry afterwards like i need to rush and do my other steps so i can put moisturizer on.

do i need a more hydrating cleanser? any recommendations?

i have been using Philosophy Purity for several months, and it doesn't dry out my skin, but i also don't feel like my skin isn't getting a super deep clean.

@samls324 the consonant beauty foaming face wash has totally changed the game for me when it comes to face washes. it's my new HG and I live off of it now. it's organic and totally free of all harsh chemicals (I know.. I was never about that life until I found this). It's crazy because it feels very gentle but my face feels totally clean after but not dry/tight. I have very oily skin so getting that squeaky clean feeling used to be important to me but not anymore. I highly, highly recommend!

1 Reply