Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Just curious if anyone else ends up spraying their hair and shirt when using a setting spray. I love the idea of setting spray but hate the feeling of spraying my face which always leads to me wildly over spraying the entire perimeter of about a three foot radius around my head. 

Related: Has anyone tried the new GlamGlow setting spray yet? Unsurprisingly I go through setting spray really quickly and am getting low. 

@starsandbucks. I have not tried the Glamglow setting spray, but I feel your pain about getting setting spray on my hair - especially after I've just straightened it! Smiley Sad

Ok, this sounds weird I know but what about using one of those tissue-type toilet seat covers? Stick your head in the hole there and then the "cover" part protects your hair and clothing. Sounds weird but then like it might work?

I like idea of repurposing things like that. @starsandbucks

Bonus points if you post a photo of you doing that! 😂

@DiVWA OMG I love this idea! I am not above sticking my face in a toilet seat cover if it'll keep my hair and makeup looking better! I'm totally gonna snag a few from work (sshhhh) this week and give it a test run. No promises on the pics. Well, maybe pics. Smiley Very Happy

@starsandbucks, I'd love to learn if this would work for you. It seems workable but the tissue part may be too flimsy maybe so I'm super curious about it. But if it does work, what's great is the covers are disposable. Plus I'm sure that you could find a box to buy somewhere...

OMG  Please post pics!!!  lol

@starsandbucks, the new setting spray I'm using gets on my hair and makes it sort of feel like I've sprayed hairspray on it. It makes me so sad ): 

XOXO,
Marieke

Another option is to buy a super-cute showercap and just get in the habit of putting it on before doing your makeup. Then you can take it off after your setting spray is dried down and BOOM. Gorgeous.

Thoughts on controlling hormonal breakouts on the forehead & hairline? I'm losing my mind over this. I've been blessed with pretty good, balanced skin for most of my life, but I discontinued hormonal birth control recently and my forehead is suffering. I have tried several different products and routines, but no matter what I do, it seems that as soon as one or two pimples are extracted and begin to heal, another one or two pop up in the same general area. Any and all tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

@Gwenhwyfar

Sorry to hear that Gwen.  Are these superficial whiteheads or more painful under the skin blemishes?  I think your body is just recovering its hormonal balance and acting out.  I am sure it will settle down in time, but until then:

My hormonal monthly spots have been a rare thing.  I find myself using some products more often than not when I want to tackle it.   

• Dr. Dennis Gross peel pads (or other similar options)
  • Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil and/or UMA Clarifying oil.  These oils have been so good to me.
  • Renee Rouleu Anti cyst treatment.  If I feel something coming, I slap this on.  It is a clear gel.  It helps a great deal in either stopping a spot, or making it much less of a pain.

Deeper and more painful, but quickly surfacing thankfully. I am sure you are right as that is my assumption as well, but it is so frustrating!

Thanks for the suggestions, @greenchilli! I actually did use up the rest of my DDG Peel Pads when this began (hadn't needed them in a while) and they seemed to help somewhat. I may pick up another small pack to tide me over until my skin balances again. I will also look into those other suggestions. Can you tell me anything about the two oils and how you use them / what they do for you? Smiley Happy

@Gwenhwyfar I will co-sign the UMA Clarifying. I also use this when I have deeper painful bumps surfacing.  I will point out it is very VERY potently scented of cloves, so if that isn't something you enjoy, you may not love it. 

That said, in my experience when I went off BC it took time for my body to readjust to the change in hormones.  

I'd definitely arm yourself with a few good products to ease the transition, but I think it's unlikely that anything is going to completely prevent them.

Thanks for your valuable input, @Mochapj. Smiley Happy Clove just happens to be one of my favorite scents (I'm wearing clove and patchouli oil right now), so that sounds perfect!

That is my full expectation; I'm committed to the long haul here but want to lessen the symptoms if possible. Herbivore Blue Tansy mask used exclusively on my forehead has been helping, along with my rosehip oil and Burt's Blemish Stick. I hope to find a way to prevent them rather than just treat them as they occur, but I am not holding my breath.

Highlighted

@Gwenhwyfar

Consistent use of Aurelia improved my overall skin health.  Just balanced my face.  My monthly spot or so became an occasional occurrence.

Since I got the Uma oils, I have used the Clarifying one around the time I am hormonal, and my skin stays calm and quiet all month long.  UMA has clove oil and tea tree.  It is good in dealing with infection and regulating sebum.  

The Aurelia oil is skin food. Helps cell regeneration.  It is awesome.  It is a good "all the time" oil.

@greenchilli I appreciate the additional info! I think I can make something akin to the UMA oil (I already purchased and just began using pure grape seed oil), but I may check out the Aurelia. Anthropologie carries it so I will buy it during one of their % off sales (didn't do it this weekend; it's too $ to justify without checking out in person first).

Hey there! Sorry to hear you go through this D: I used to take evening primrose oil supplements as a teenager to control all types of hormonal stuff. It's known for a ton of hormonal regulation benefits. I sometimes get hormonal breakouts on my jawline from stress so I totally feel you. Look into it, maybe it'll help!

What are people's favorite white mixers? I have some foundations that I love the texture of but have always been too dark. I know the Illamasqua one is popular, but it seems very difficult for me to get ahold of. Plus it's a little e$$pensive. I've looked at the Manic Panic ones on Amazon, but they have a bunch that are all slightly different so I was confused. 

I hear KVD is coming out with one!

I thought I got an email the other day that NYX is putting out one?

I would be very interested in a drugstore one. NYX has pretty good reviews overall. 

I use MAC Face and Body in White. I think it's only available at Pro stores though.

I see it online, so that's an option. I get emails with free shipping codes frequently from MAC. 

I thought you meant drink mixers that were white at first…oops. That would be a little more difficult…pina colada is the only one I can think of, and I don't care for those very much..

1 Reply