Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@whitepolkydots Hm... I was kinda leaning toward an individual instead of a palette. I really like that iridescent glow a lot of them are giving. The KVD is more than I'm looking for haha, but thank you for the suggestion! 

My niece's birthday is coming up pretty soon and she's obsessed with my tarte unicorn brushes and Storybook Cosmetics wand brushes. She's turning 10 so I don't know if I should splurge and get her the a set from either company or if I should see if I can find cheaper alternatives first to see how well she takes care of them. 

She's also getting some 'beginner's makeup' she's been begging for)lip glosses, sheer blush and shadows, maybe a translucent powder, and maybe some nail polish)

Any thoughts?

Maybe a good idea could be to get her a few cheap elf brushes and some paint or rhinestones, and you guys could decorate them together! Also for lip gloss, try the too faced sweet peach one, the color is pretty sheer and it smells so good!

@StephaniLynn i wouldn't 'invest' in makeup or brushes for a 10 year old - some fun colour cosmetics (lip gloss, nail polish) from an inexpensive brand would be nice but powder, even blush, is probably not necessary? i would also maybe ask parents first if they are okay with her being gifted makeup at age 10 - some parents have an idea of when makeup is/isn't okay; it's one thing for her to play with auntie and have fun with your stuff but to have her own and be getting in to painting her own face is another IMO

@underwhelmed11 I'm still working out on what exactly what to include in her little 'beauty basket'. I'm not wanting to get her anything super pigmented, more of a very sheer wash of color. Literally 'kiddy makeup'. 

I have legal custody or her so I am 'mom'Smiley Happy 

Thank you for your thoughts!

@StephaniLynn ah, my bad, i apologize Smiley Happy 

@underwhelmed11 No worriesSmiley Happy

@StephaniLynn, since she's younger I would get her some beginner's makeup. I remember when I was a young girl I wouldn't take the best care of things (even the things I loved) and young girls can often change what they like quickly. 

Nail polish and lip gloss are definitely a great way to start! (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT I was leaning towards cheaper options too.

thanks!Smiley Happy

I would personally say more affordable item also! I agree with @MiaM7 reasoning. 

My personal opinion is that although makeup isn't a bad thing nor is there a "right/wrong" age to start wearing it, I often think younger people are starting to wear makeup really really early (esp luxury makeup).  What will they upgrade to when they're 20/30s? Lol. 

This way, she'll have something to look forward to, can value, and won't be distracted by all the pretty makeup (when there's lots of other fun things to be doing while still young/financially more carefree)  Smiley Happy 

either option you pick, you're still being an awesome auntie! 

Personally, I would go with the more affordable option, since she is just starting out and is basically *playing* with makeup and tools.  I'd splurge on more solid stuff down the line as she gets into that age of valuing expensive products/tools.

Does anyone use the Deva curl towel ?  Does it really make a difference?

I got the white version in a set with a shampoo and conditioner a while back which is super tiny for me (since my hair is past my hips in length), but I do notice a difference in using a microfiber towel on my hair and when I don't. I have soft waves and I find that when I do use a microfiber towel the ends of the waves stay a little nicer and don't frizz/break apart as much.

Like others have said below, I don't think you *need* the DevaCurl one, but the use of a microfiber towel is worth checking into. Now, if you snag a DC one at a good deal or as part of a set/promo then why not? Smiley Very Happy

@makeupobesessed If you're looking for a bargain, I got my microfiber hair towels from Ulta online. They had a pack of 2 for like $7 I believe and they work great. Check ulta online if you are going to make an Ulta purchase any time soon Smiley Happy

@goneroguewhat were those towels called? i just looked at Ulta online, and am not seeing a pack of 2.

@PopularMakeup the brand is called Turbie Twist and I just did a search for them on ulta online and they still have the two pack available for $12. Try it out!

@gonerogue     Thanks for the rec, I will search in store for the towels. I've been locked out of Ulta online for quite some time, and I just tried again two days ago, and I'm still unable to order online.  Looks like I'll miss the platinum deals and such, and most of what I want is online....(UD blushes, etc...). Oh well, FOMO goes away eventually.  I'll find those towels somewhere...thanks again.

@makeupobesessed Oh no! I'm sorry you can't access ulta online. The specific bran of hair towel I have is called Turbie Twist in case you wanted to check out amazon or another retailer that might carry it. It's 100% worth it.

@makeupobsessed  I second @michelleshops response.  A microfiber towel to gently remove excess water after a shower will really cut down on the friction while drying your hair, reducing frizz.  However, it's absolutely unnecessary that you get a DevaCurl one specifically.  If you do choose to get it, the new gray version is significantly bigger and much easier to use than the old one.

Hey @makeupobesessed! I use it and I think it does make a difference but I don't think you *need* the DevaCurl branded one.  It's essentially just a microfiber towel.  I use mine after I put in product to squeeze out any excess moisture and I find my hair isn't as frizzy if I use this instead of a regular terrycloth towel.  I have the old white version and it's pretty small, about the size of a kitchen hand towel, not sure if the new one is larger. Hope this helps!  

Thank you ladies...I can get a microfiber towel cheaper then the deva so Im off to get one...thanks for ur responses!