Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@jen143xo There are TONS so I can understand how tough it is to find one! I think though that Clairol shimmer lights is fantastic.  It's cheap and gets the job done!

I have tried Oribes and wasn't happy with it.  Too much money with little results.

I have heard good things about Blonde Ale by Drybar, however I haven't tried that!

Thank you so much!! @sabrinas

I agree with @sabrinas about Clairol Shimmer lights (the shampoo and the conditioner). some people I knew said the conditioner left a blue tint but honestly I used to use both the shampoo and conditioner and never had that issue. they did help tone my hair in a very subtle way. 

also I've heard those light lavender/violent toners help. I think Manic Panic makes one. other brands may also exist. the manic panic one looks like very light lavender and is called Virgin Snow.

Can anyone share their experience with the nude omega cleanser and the gentle fizzy wash (exfoliator)? 

I bought them because they had great reviews, but now idk if I should keep them or not. I already have a new face wash and some mini exfoliators (idk if they're good or not) and I can't decide if I should try to get through all these minis and return the NUDES. I'm making a big move soon, so I'm trying to not keep "unnecessary" things

I have the fizzy wash (thanks to Sephora for the gratis when they did a round to users for Nude) and enjoy it. It's one of the more gentle/delicate exfoliants that I have and I like to actually mix it into my existing face wash so it's a little thicker than just adding some drops of water to the dry formula (I find it dissolves a bit too quickly for my tastes with just water). Since it's powder based, it does dissolve down a tad so if you happen to work with it for a longer time frame massaging it onto skin you're not going to run the risk or being too rough or or too stimulating. I tend to alternate between using an exfoliant that packs a bit more of a punch (such as Kate Somerville's ExfoliKate or a peel pad) with a more gentle scrub like this just so I can switch it up for my skin but still get an effective exfoliating aspect down. 

A little goes a long way so it's nice in terms of being a product that you won't just run through in a short amount of time.

Thank you! Maybe I will keep it. I just have so many exfoliatirs I'm starting to drown lol 

I had a couple of samples of the nude fizzing wash that I've used and I actually really like it! It foams up a ton and it really does exfoliate well. If you have sensitive skin in some areas then they might burn a little bit for a few seconds while you cleanse your skin but it doesn't make them worse in any way. I haven't used it consistently to see any results so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but I powder cleansers are great for travelling since there are no restrictions like there are for liquids. Then again that isn't enough to make you keep it haha Smiley Tongue

Me again. Hi.

Wondering if there is anyone out there who can chat with me about Kevyn Aucoin SSE?

I have SX04 and SX05.

SX04 is a bit too yellow for me. SX05 is just about perfect. I want to go lighter (for highlighting and around the eye area). I just ordered SX02. Why you ask? SX03 is listed as neutral and reviewed by many as having a green base. It doesn't look much different than SX05 from what I can tell. SX02 is listed as peach/pink undertone and appears much lighter (hopefully not waaay lighter). 

I really love SSE versatility. I will be complete if SX02 is what I'm hoping for! Lol.

@emilyterrible73  I think you're on the right track. I have Sx03. I'm neutral, and it's a bit too yellow for me. It definitely has a green base. If I could go back I would have gone for Sx02 and hoped it leaned more peach than pink.

Thank you. I have been researching the SSE like nobody's business. It's an amazing product if I can get the shade right.

@emilyterrible73 I had the sx03 at one point and it was straight up green/grey. Im fair with yellowy olive undertones and that was WAY too grey and green for me!! I think you made the right choice Smiley Happy

What is the best way to store used liquid eyeliners? Should the tip be facing up? Down? Horizontally? 

(I bought the kvd lightning liquid eyeliners.)

thanks! 

I'd store it w/ the tip facing down.

Side note: if you like the KVD liners, try Jesse's Girl eyeliner.  It is SO good!!

Thank you for the pro tips! I'm gonna have to check out that liner! Smiley Happy 

tip facing down so that the product can flow towards the tip. my KVD liner is a hit or miss depending on how i store it :/ when I store it tip down, it's really black but in any other position overnight, I struggle more with pigment. the Stila liquid liner is still my favourite and it's always pigmented no matter what.

I am looking to build my own palette, however I feel torn by which brand to go for(ABH / Makeup Geek).  Price is not a main factor, as I'm focusing on quality.  I was also curious about the new Colourpop pressed shadows,they have pretty neat colors. Based on your experiences, I'd love to hear thoughts/opinions!!

i don't buy from colourpop anymore as I don't like their policies (I received a broken shadow and they wouldn't replace it, just told me to stick it back together - boo.) BUT, I will say I equally enjoy my mac and makeup geek singles. abh is good too but I prefer the others a tad more.

@MiaM7 The ColourPop single shadows are amazing, the pressed ones! I like the super shock ones but prefer the new powder formula. 

Makeup Geek is very nice quality too! They often add some to their sale page for being 'imperfect' look wise. A nick or scratch here or there. 

ABH is great too. I love their shadows. I just bought some singles when they had their black Friday/cyber Monday deals going on. 

I also love the formula of the Sephora brand single shadows, I've ordered a ton sine they've gone on sale for $5!

If you were to put them in order of how much you like them, where would each brand land on your list (1, 2, 3)?

I just purchased shipping/tracking online and noticed the tracking slip has tomorrow's date on it (3/17). Do I have to drop off the package tomorrow, or can I wait until Monday? 

@pinyo Sorry no one responded sooner! In my experience with eBay and purchasing postage online through them, I have to have it in the mailbox or post office on the date printed on the slip to guarantee that it gets to the buyer on time.