Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

on a technicality, the PO wants the date to match up. BUT - they have become massively more lax about this with all the label printing that goes on in today's world. also don't forget that you can just leave those packages with your mailman, though there may be a scan delay

Thank you @gonerogue @Alicehoopz

I once got a "pre-infused" mini reed diffuser stick as a sample from Nordstrom. It was the PERFECT strength (scent-wise) and I loved it. Unfortunately they don't sell pre-infused sticks... so I'm wondering how different a full size diffuser will be. I don't want it to be too strong, so I was thinking of not putting any reeds in (will that work?) OR just one reed in (will that ruin the reed somehow...)

Did you get a Nest one too? I got grapefruit and loved it. A reviewer was right and I get a lot of peach from it. Anyway, I am wondering the same thing on the strength. I hate super strong smells. One reed can definitely be used and it will be just fine but I just hope it won't be too strong. I will probably get one to try though.

@lysbainch that's the one! i think i'll get it too to try Smiley Happy i've never used a reed diffuser before so i wasn't sure if using only one reed would mess up the scent or something weird.. but i think i've been way overthinking it

@whitepolkydots @lysbainch I have a NEST diffuser at home and although it's been a while since I first opened it, I don't believe it's a very strong scent at the beginning! It's definitely one that sticks around for a while and fills the room, but you probably won't notice it for a while since your body will get used to it. My mom is particularly sensitive to scents (she can't wear or smell perfumes) and she comes in my room often and she's never been bothered by it. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

I ordered from Cult Beauty and got a shipping confirmation on March 8 by "Standard International Shipping" and still nothing, and no tracking that I can find. Should I call, or is this normal?  

Last time I ordered from them, it was the CH Box and back ordered so I didn't pay attention. 

I'm in the same boat - I emailed yesterday and they said I should receive by end of this week.. I'm located in California 

Okay, thanks for letting me know! @shirleylin88

@sister13 Mine came yesterday finally!!

For all you Nars lovers and concealer junkies, I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on the new Soft Matte Complete concealer?

My under eyes are somewhat normal/oily (they're definitely not dry) with a few creases. I disliked RCC for my under eyes because it was too thick and the shade Custard was too dark.

I've swatched the new concealers at Sephora and they feel like a dream, but I don't know how it compares to RCC. I like Mac Pro Longwear concealer with a brush. Is Soft Matte a better under eye concealer or more so for the face? And is it a forgiving matte finish, or not suitable for my overall dry skin?

@Melissa136 I actually have really weird skin- so oily, but dry under my eyes with deep lines.  but I LOVE the soft matte concealer.  It feels so lightweight, but it covers everything and blends nicely.  It barely even creases on me when I set it with a little powder, which is rare!  (I don't know how it performs if you don't set it, because I can never get away with that)

I really think it's great for use all over.  I sometimes do that too.  

@Melissa136

i actually love the rcc for my under eyes, I don't have creasing problems, but I also set it with powder. I too have oily eyes. 

For the smcc, I find it thicker and much more full coverage than rcc. A knowledgeable (she seemed super knowledgeable) NARS rep talked to me in depth about the two concealers and said that rcc is better for under the eyes, while smcc is awesome for the face. 

I definitely think it's a preference thing---you should try to grab a sample. I personally didn't like how much thicker smcc and I'm okay with my blemishes slightly peeking through rcc, so I couldn't justify buying. 

Thank you for the feedback, @pinyo @starrysilver. My sister recently got SMCC so I might play around with hers and see. I adore the lightweight texture, it's a dream to blend out so I really hope it works out. If not I've been eyeing Shape Tape...

This is a random question, but I need help from DIY people! I know if I want a lighter color, you should mix white. 

If im making a custom lipstick, how do I make the color brighter? Not lighter.

For example, less say it's a muted pink color, what colors/pigments should I add to make it a bright (not lighter) pink? I hope this makes sense. Thank you! 

@pinyo hopefully someone else can chime in with a better suggestion, but think yellow is what you're looking for!  Estee edit bas a lipstick brightener called "turn up" if you wanna google before/after photos. It's baaasically a yellow lipstick. The thing is.. it seems to still lighten the color a bit Smiley Sad Not sure how to fix that 

Ohhh maybe it is yellow! I'll have to buy some yellow pigment and give that a try. Thank you @whitepolkydots

@pinyo If you're wanting to make pink brighter, add a brighter pink. You're totally right that white will make it lighter. Yellow will make it a orange. Pink is red and white mixed, so if you think of adding yellow to red, you get orange. Pink and yellow will make a form or orange depending on what pigments you use, a quite muddy orange to a coral. So in your case, you're going to want to amp up the pink with a brighter pink. 

I know this is gross but I don't know anywhere else I can ask this question. Unfortunately, the chemo I'm currently taking is making me sweat my make up off , even in cooler weather conditions.  Obviously, I can't stop the meds so anyone know of anything I can do to keep the make up on?

I tried using a foundation for oily skin but that didn't work. When I'm not active my skin is actually really dry, way to dry. I've also tried multiple different setting sprays and I'm currently trying Evian  mineral water spray and it works a little. It makes my make up look Dewey and my makeup doesn't last more than a couple hours but it seems to be okay for a quick dinner out.

I'm worried about the summer months, we might end up going to the beach and I don't want my make up to melt off, after a hour. Is there any hope?!?

@imbeautiful First off, I hope chemo is going well and fight on! Smiley Happy 

You definitely need to look up Wayne Goss's powder foundation trick. BT won't let me include a link to his youtube demonstrating it, but the quick and dirty is essentially:

Moisturizer, then primer, then light dusting of loose powder, THEN foundation over this light layer of powder, and then set how you normally would (more powder/spray/etc).

I only do this for special events but it seems to last FOREVER, nothing moves off my face (it's almost a little freaky). For me, the key is moisturizing before all the layers so that I don't feel compelled to be constantly touching my face.

You might also want to try a couple of different long wear foundations; my HG is Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place and I've heard great things about UD All Nighter. 

Hi @imbeautiful! First, I hope things are looking brighter for you! 

Have you tried urban decays all nighter setting sprays? I feel like that really helps keep my makeup from sliding off during concerts (and I'm dancing like crazy). I moisturizer, then spray my entire face with it. My face will be completely damp. I'll let it completely dry for maybe 10 minutes? I'll do my makeup as normal. Although I think it's recommended, I don't spray after I've finished my makeup. I feel like that ruins the makeup/longevity. 

I hope that helps! 

3 Replies