Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I just picked up the It Confidence in a Compact foundation and am loving it way more than the CC cream. The shade range is a little larger, it has an anit-aging serum solid in the foundation and SPF 50. I will say it's dewy, so I think being oily you definitley need a primer. I use the MUFE Step one Smoothing Primer just around my nose and cheeks, and set with Laura Mercier Powder.

What are your thoughts on farasali unicorn essence? It's suppose to be a serum and a primer? I don't understand how it works as a primer if you put a moisturizer OVER it before putting makeup on? 

While I haven't tried this out yet, I will say that lots of times with dual-purpose products it just depends on what order you use them or what you intend to use them for.

The product itself seems to cater to conditioning and nourishing skin with antioxidants, so if worn as a treatment or skin care item it can be layered on prior to a moisturizer. If you intend to use it as a primer, then layer it after you apply your moisturizer. Since antioxidants can benefit the skin no matter what, it wouldn't make skin any worse if they're applied as the start, middle, or end of a regimen. In terms of how well it may prime, that's debatable. I get that well hydrated skin will be better prepped for improve makeup applications and wear time, but with the actual composition and formula broken down, it doesn't appear that it will be a primer that forms a smooth barrier atop skin so makeup goes on smoothly. It'd be more similar to a water or cream based primer that merely moisturizes skin without having that silicone/dimethicone barrier. This may serve better for folks who may have smooth skin without many concerns or issues that they need a primer to control (for example, this wouldn't be the "primer" to use if there's enlarged pores and oil to absorb, it may be better if someone is just getting into makeup and has fairly decent skin in good shape and wants a product that can multi-task).

@lylysa Wow!! What a great response! Thank you for taking the time to write that. That's a good point that dual purpose products won't necessarily be as good as another product solely designed for a purpose. Generally, I use silicone based primers so I most likely wouldn't use this product as a primer. Thank you! Smiley Happy

You're welcome! 

It's how I find something like the Smashbox Primer Water. While it's advertised that it can be used as a skin care mist, primer for makeup, and setting spray/refresher mist, I prefer it as the post-makeup/refresher mist. 

Since I already have my Ole Truth spray in the morning, I just keep my mini Primer Water in my purse and spray throughout the day as a nice pick me up. While my skin is more on the normal side (can get a tad dehydrated in winter, but adjustments in skin care keeps that in check), I still prefer a more traditional primer formula/consistency too. 

@lylysa  yeah, it's not a one size fits all. I'll still try it out of curiosity but probably use it more as a serum. 

For those who are in North America, and ordered from Cult Beauty.  How long did it take to receive your order? did you have to pay any fees? Were your items opened or damaged at all?

Cheers!

The only one order that i placed with Cult beauty came pretty well packaged (not damaged or opened) and rather quick - i think within a week for sure. I never paid any fees for the package either.   Hope that helps Smiley Happy.

I've place a couple orders and haven't had any problems at all. No additional duties or fees, though all my orders were under $200 USD, which I think is technically the line that customs draws. From order placement to delivery was just under a week for me (I'm located in Boston). Some of the outer boxes looked a little worse for the wear, but that's expected shipping internationally. Contents were perfect though, all bubble wrapped and tissue papered, nothing amiss.

I also was wondering this. I do know that when I exchange bday gifts with a few friends who live in Europe and the UK, the time going each way seems to be 1 to 2 weeks. usually more like 7-10 days though it seems. none of our gift packets have ever been opened or delayed but they are all marked as a gift with the customs form filled out properly and don't contain anything that isn't allowed. I live in the USA. it will be interesting for me to see if this "retail" type international package will be different. Also, I am fairly sure MissPuff is absolutely correct that the USA does not charge import or customs fees on purchases under $200.

I got my order in great condition just over a week from when it shipped.  For reference, I live on the west coast!

Surratt product owners, I have a question regarding the size of the packaging...

I'm planning to buy four eyeshadows and two blushes, but don't want to buy their palettes. I do have an empty baby z palette from Sephora, do you think they'll all fit in there? 

Buying another empty, non-magnetized palette just doesn't make sense to me...I'd rather take that $$ and buy more shadows 😜😉

Im not sure about a baby z palette, and im not sure if this helps, but I have a large z palette and 18 surratt eyeshadows fit perfectly in the "open window". I spaced them away from the sides so that they would be even in the middle window, otherwise i think the gaps are ugly.   I do feel your baby z palette would work for what you have, but i cant guarantee! @angelKiss24

@sabrinas, thank you! That does help, Now I can guess the eyeshadow sizing.  One more question, how are Surratt's blushes compared to their eyeshadows in terms of sizing?

Hi @angelKiss24, four eyeshadows and two blushes will fit in the baby z palette. It will just leave lots of space that won't fit another shadow, but is so close! (Left is z palette, right is Surratt).

image.jpeg 

Another option is the Mac Pro Palette small, it is the same interior width as the larger Surratt palette, so it will hold up to six shadows  (with a little empty space on the bottom.) i have one of the Surratt palettes, and it bothers the heck out of me that it is not magnetized, so I wouldn't spend the money on another.

the blushes are the same height as the shadows, and the same length as two shadows together.

You're awesome @playingdressup!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Does anyone actually like the lancome juicy shaker? i have one in a pink shade, boom-meringue and I find that it's nothing special. It doesn't hydrate my lips very well and it's not pigmented... it's kind of gimmicky and just a light lip tint oil. I got it in a Sephora favorites set but I would never buy it full price. 

@IZ95 I feel the same way about them.. just meh. There was little to no payoff of anything imo, and compared to other amazing lip tint oils (e.g. YSL), it definitely felt lackluster.

I also received mine from that set and I gave it to my mom immediately. What she did with it, I have no clue 😶

I'm in the same boat. It smells nice, but it seems like a lot of work to shake it so much so the color mixes with the oil, only to apply it and still not get any color. I also found it dried out my lips. Maybe it was just the Sephora set ones that were off (though I doubt it), but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

it dried out my lips too!! glad to know i'm not the only one lol

@IZ95  I do, actually.  I purchased the turquoise "shade" Mint To Be last summer from Ulta and use it fairly regularly.  It lives in my purse.  I apply it whenever I need just a little nourishing bump.

I do find their shade selection VERY misleading.  It implies there's a substantial difference between the colors, and there's no way that can be true, since it's only the slightest wash.  There might be a difference in flavor, but I wouldn't know because I only own the one.

1 Reply