Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Does anyone know of a good jewelry cleaner for sterling silver jewelry? Thanks in advance Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

@jen143xo I use Wrights silver cream. It comes in this big tub but it works really well on my ring and necklaces. Can't remember where I got it but I'm sure Amazon has it Smiley Happy

There are the special cloths for cleaning jewelry and silver. They probably have them at places like WalMart and Target. I've used those since I was a teenager. They work great.

@jen143xo The cloths that @RainbowRae mentioned are called rouge cloths like this on 

https://www.amazon DOT com/gp/aw/d/B001U5VLZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475506563&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=silver+jewelry+polishing+rouge+cloth&dpPl=1&dpID=51RtQiJaZKL&ref=plSrch

Thank you all so much!! My favorite Bauble Bar necklace is turning and I think these will help!! Smiley Very Happy @PaletteAddict99 @maskedteagal @RainbowRae

Silvo. I think that's what it's called and it comes in a small tin. You first coat the jewelry with it and then you wipe it all off and magically your stuff looks brand new!!! Best cleaner ever!

Trying to decide between 3 hairdryers - a Rusk w8less, a babybliss nano dryer, and a Elchim dryer. Any thoughts???

@niki172 I have an Elchim.  It's ok, nothing special.  Best dryer I ever had was a T3 that broke with a few months.  It made my hair so soft and shiny.  The Elchim is a workhorse though.  I bought it because my hairstylist recommended it.

@itscarin - thanks for the input! My mom owns the Risk and likes it. Also in factor is the 3x points at Ulta. The Elchim goes on sale after the multiplier ends. The babybliss got good reviews which is why it made the top 3. I just want a hairdryer that gets hot and doesn't make me feel like I'm in a windstorm and my hair is going everywhere.

@niki172 I believe I had a rusk one and it was alright but not in my top dryers. Also never been a big fan of Babyliss. I currently have a Bio Ionic and that's my fav! It's old but still works great and I really love that brand.  I gotta say though my hairdresser loves Elchim and she's been in the business for years! I think she recommended it at some point but I just couldn't find one. Smiley Sad

@veronika23 - they sell Elchim at Ulta. It's going to be on sale for half off on the 22nd (I think).  I don't think I've heard of Bio Ionic, but then I've looked at so many dryers recently my head's spinning Smiley Very Happy. Thanks for the input!

Oh nice @niki172! I'd probably go with Elchim since it seems to be a fav among the hairdressers... They gotta work with great tools that don't die on them right Smiley Wink  Bio Ionic isn't really well known... too bad because they have great products. All my tools are from them! Good luck!

The skin on my nose is freaking out! I'm not sure if its dry, or if I'm just getting a bunch of white heads only on my nose, or if I'm over-exfoiliating. But I'm not sure what to do. Smiley Sad

I've tried pore strips, exfoliating, moisturizing, charcoal masks. But the texture on my nose isn't getting better -.- It just seems bumpy. It kinda looks better, when I wake up after having moisturizer on my face all night. Is the skin just extremely dry?

How do I get rid of these white heads, or make the texture more even? 

Sounds like you've dried your skin out. I had problems with my skin when I dried mine out with different cleansers. I started breaking out on my cheek and noticed more texture on my skin.

I use Cetaphil and some use Cerave. It keeps the skin balanced. Some also don't like Cetaphil so it really depends what works for you. Basically when I mess up my skin I go back to Cetaphil and the pH seems to balance out and my skin stays good. I had really bad texture around my nose on the sides when I dried my skin out and so far so good. I also use Cetaphil moisturizer which doesn't have added benefits but it also doesn't cause harm to my skin! 

To get rid of whiteheads I'm not too sure what will work for you. My skin is dry. I like to do clay masks with ACV (Bentonite with ACV) and it works wonders for me! I would think if you try a peel or something you might irritate your skin more but not too sure. I'm sure someone else will chime in with advice as to the whiteheads =) Hope that helps girl! @nikki25gee Braggs ACV is also a nice toner for your skin =) (do a patch test off course to see what works for you).

Thank you @jesscheems! I was thinking it could be that too.

I do use eskinol on my face, I'm not sure if anyone on BT knows what that is. But its like a "harsh-ish" facial astringent, I know it sounds super bad. But i've been using it forever to remove excess makeup, and never reacted badly to it. I think its drying out my skin now because I've been using a lot of it on my nose area thinking I was getting white heads. Plus all the exfoliation, pore strips, etc. irritated the skin more. I'm gonna stay away from doing anything extra and try some Cetaphil (I use it on my body). Smiley Very Happy

I'll also look into the ACV as a toner, I read some great things about that! Thanks again! Smiley Happy

@nikki25gee No probs! Smiley Very Happy

Oh no I haven't heard of that but now that I have I shall ensure to steer clear lol. I have super dry and sensitive skin but my skin is pretty good with Cetaphil! It works wonders for me. Wow yup over cleansing gurrllll stop! lol 

Cool I hope you find something that works for you =) <3

I second Jess. It sounds like your skin is reacting from being over manipulated and dried out. 

Typically skin is able to rebalance its pH on its own, but otherwise I would recommend cetaphil. Love that stuff. I'm also loving the FAB lotion. Super hydrating. If possible, don't use any intense cleansers or masks either until your skin finds its balance again Smiley Happy 

Thank you @pinyo! Smiley Happy Yeah, now I can totally see how I've been overdoing it. I guess I just get a little too carried away when I think I'm starting to break out. I wanna keep my face as CLEAN as possible, but I was probably doing more harm than good. I'm gonna chill out, and just stick to the basics and hopefully my skin will calm down. Smiley Very Happy

Sorry for my lack of model hands lol. I wear gloves 24-7 for work and it's sooooo drying on my hands. 

ANYways! Does anybody have any chipping issues with formula x polishes? I'm not intensive about using my hands. I haven't even done dishes since I did my nails a couple days ago lol. Everyone raves about them. I love the colors, but literally every type I've tried chips. Even my cheap polishes last about 5-7 days before it starts chipping minimally. Formula x chips within a day for me 

ive tried different base coats and top coats but for these photos I used julep oxygen base coat and seche vite as top. The color and effects coat are both formula x 

I have a few Formula X polishes, and they seem to last roughly the same amount of time (5-7 days) as my Essie, OPI, and Dior polishes if I use that trusty, cheap Sally Hansen base and top coat in one. 

Guess I gotta go try the sally Hansen again lol. I've used cheapie stuff like saviana, china glaze, urban outfitters etc and all of them last but my formula x Smiley Sad they're just so pretty though lol. I wanna make them work 

Could it be because you are painting too close to/touching your cuticles so these particular polishes tend to want to lift and become vulnerable to chipping?

I'm not sure. I do paint very close to my cuticles, but the back side of my nail polish (closest to my cuticles) is still intact and fine. It's just the front part by the end of my nails that chip like crazy! 

Girl you need to try the Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy polishes!!

Hi everyone! I have trouble with chapped lips so have to be careful when using liquid matte lipsticks. For about a week now, my lips have been fine except the corners of my mouth are chapped. I have never had this problem before. I use lip balm every night and before putting on liquid lipsticks and have been putting extra on the corners of my mouth at night but it's not helping. Has this happened to anyone else? I love the liquid mattes but the redness on the corner of my lips isn't a look I want. (i.e. I don't want to be The Joker) Any suggestions/thoughts are welcome. Thanks!